JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I know the C&R FFL exists primarily to help collectors avoid the hassle of interstate transfers when purchasing antique firearms.

Understanding that, if I had a C&R FFL and found a C&R eligible gun at a dealer's shop in-state would I have to fill out a 4473 and go through a background check like a normal buyer, or would I just hand over a copy of my C&R and walk away without a BGC? Does the dealer just log it into his book like any other FFL transfer?

It is considered an FFL to FFL transfer because you are essentially an FFL holder for C&R guns. So you sign a copy of your form and hand it over to him. I've done it many times.

A couple more questions...

1. Have you ever run into an FFL or employee who didn't understand what a C&R FFL was and insisted upon a 4473?

2. I applied for a C&R FFL today and answered 'yes' to the question regarding being employed by an FFL, since I have a part-time job in a gun shop. I attached a letter explaining it; will this disqualify me for a C&R FFL?

3. Once I get my C&R FFL do I need to put the C&R guns I currently own into the book?

Just got mine yesterday. Only took 2 weeks after I sent in the application.

I assume you dont sign the original, make a bunch of copies and then sign those copies when making purchases, right?

#3 NO - only what you obtain as an FFL needs to be in the bound book.

#2 , i don't think it will even be a concern. Since you can not use a C&R to conduct business.

The price of a 03 FFL is $30 and is valid for 3 years. If you purchase 3 C&R listed guns it has paid for itself. anything after that is gravy.

I like the fact that I can purchase C&R guns online and they are delivered to my house. :)

I put all that I have in my bound book as it is a good record for insurance/theft purposes. I don't have to, but it's good for me. Your chances of being audited are extremely small unless you do something to raise red flags.

The price of a 03 FFL is $30 and is valid for 3 years. If you purchase 3 C&R listed guns it has paid for itself. anything after that is gravy.

I like the fact that I can purchase C&R guns online and they are delivered to my house. :)

I put all that I have in my bound book as it is a good record for insurance/theft purposes. I don't have to, but it's good for me. Your chances of being audited are extremely small unless you do something to raise red flags.

Thanks. I figured I'd be money ahead after my 4th purchase, and I've been drooling over some of the online C&R sales sites. Gotta love guns delivered to your front door!

So if you have one of these and the gun is delivered to your door, I assume it requires a signature? If so, does the signature have to be that of the license holder? If it does, that could be an issue for someone like me, and I've thought about getting one of these myself.

So if you have one of these and the gun is delivered to your door, I assume it requires a signature? If so, does the signature have to be that of the license holder? If it does, that could be an issue for someone like me, and I've thought about getting one of these myself.

Probably not. I sign for shipments where I work and my name isn't on the FFL. UPS don't give a honey badger.

Yes, you do sign for the box which contains the gun just as you do when UPS or FedEx (these will be the two carriers who will handle your orders) delivers the grill you ordered from Amazon. No government database;just verification the package was delivered. There is nothing on the box which screams "GUN". Besides, if you are ordering from a seller like SOG, AIM, Classic, RGuns, Bud's Gun Shop, or CDT (to name a few), they require a copy of your C&R be on file with them before they ship.

Last Edited:
...I assume it requires a signature? If so, does the signature have to be that of the license holder? If it does, that could be an issue for someone like me, and I've thought about getting one of these myself.
Must be an adult signature, but not required to be the license holder. I would assume that the adult signing must not be Prohibited as well, but I forget that portion.

Regarding the savings you get, it can be even better when ordering on the internet, because you also don't pay a transfer fee. The typical FFL transfer fee in my area is $35 ($25 + $10 background check), so if you mail order even a single C&R you are already ahead money-wise. A great deal.

Regarding the savings you get, it can be even better when ordering on the internet, because you also don't pay a transfer fee. The typical FFL transfer fee in my area is $35 ($25 + $10 background check), so if you mail order even a single C&R you are already ahead money-wise. A great deal.
That was a definite plus when I chose to purchase my daily carry gun; the CZ82 is C&R.:) I ordered online and 2 days later the FedEx delivered to my door. No transfer fee, no 4473 to fill out.

Plus with a C&R license, you are on the books as a dealer with the various distributors, so you can see wholesale pricing. I've picked up some very nice deals at Century and had them shipped to my LGS ( excellent condition Sig P226 comes to mind, at $419) . In the long run , having a C$R FFL will run up your VISA card. :)

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top