JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
sorry to keep hijacking the thread with questions. it would be nice to have a little C&R section on here.

Anyway. Got my Hi Power. Seems to be in excellent shape though I must be the only one who has ever disassembled it farther than the field strip. I swear, the black gunk I got out of the hole for the internal extractor was reverting to crude oil.

I didnt mind spending 3 hours stripping and cleaning it, but if Im going to be collecting milsurp regularly now, there has got to be a better way. I used enough cotton patches to make a sweater.

Can you use an ultrasonic cleaner on these old gun parts? Im worried that it would just rust the hell out of it though.

d6MNHMW.jpg
For those also starting out getting these types of old guns, this guy has a lot of good videos on complete disassembly. Made it really easy to learn how to get the Hi Power apart

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have an ultrasonic cleaner so take my opinion as just that, an uninformed opinion. I have heard that placing the cleaned parts in the oven on the 'warm' setting will help keep rust issues to a minimum. In a similar vein; I have a Type 53 I got with my C&R and when I clean it after shooting corrosive ammo I use boiling water down the barrel. By the time it has cooled enough to touch bare handed the water has evaporated. Putting the parts from the cleaner into the oven would likely provide similar results.

I learned how to decipher the serial number and stamps on my Hi Power. It has a "E" prefix serial number which puts its production date in early 50's. These went to British military or Austrian police. There are no Austrian markings so I'm thinking British Military. I saw online that someone suggested that these when to MI 5 which would be pretty neat.

I used this reference on the stamps. The Controller of Proof codes was Louis Couchant for my Hi Power who was controller until 1952. So between the serial number and Proving stamps mine was probably made in 1952.

Do you then have record who you sold any C&R firearms to, have the buyer fill out a 4473 and also preform a background check just like an 01 FFL?
Yes, you are required to record the disposition of the C&R firearm and you must enter it into your bound book.
No, you do not need a 4473.
No, a background check is not needed when you sell a C&R firearm.

See questions 9-13.
https://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/curios-relics.html

I don't have an ultrasonic cleaner so take my opinion as just that, an uninformed opinion. I have heard that placing the cleaned parts in the oven on the 'warm' setting will help keep rust issues to a minimum. In a similar vein; I have a Type 53 I got with my C&R and when I clean it after shooting corrosive ammo I use boiling water down the barrel. By the time it has cooled enough to touch bare handed the water has evaporated. Putting the parts from the cleaner into the oven would likely provide similar results.

I got my ultrasonic cleaner last night and cleaned the magazine in some soap and water and dried it with a heat gun. Even after I had supposedly cleaned it by hand, it still pulled off a ton of gunk and I could actually read a stamped marking on the front of it that I had no idea was there. I cant believe I went this long without an ultrasonic cleaner. Probably spend the weekend breaking down everything I own and cleaning it in this thing!

I got my ultrasonic cleaner last night and cleaned the magazine in some soap and water and dried it with a heat gun. Even after I had supposedly cleaned it by hand, it still pulled off a ton of gunk and I could actually read a stamped marking on the front of it that I had no idea was there. I cant believe I went this long without an ultrasonic cleaner. Probably spend the weekend breaking down everything I own and cleaning it in this thing!

What solution did you use?

More questions on the C&R application. On the app, I'm supposed to provide the name and address of the "Chief Law Enforcement Officer". My address says Oregon City, but technically, I'm in unincorporated Clackamas County (we've not yet been annexed by the city). So, two questions:

1. Should I reference the Clackamas County Sheriff rather than the OC Police Chief?
2. Do I need to hand deliver the copy I'm supposed to send them, or can I mail it to them?

Thanks

More questions on the C&R application. On the app, I'm supposed to provide the name and address of the "Chief Law Enforcement Officer". My address says Oregon City, but technically, I'm in unincorporated Clackamas County (we've not yet been annexed by the city). So, two questions:

1. Should I reference the Clackamas County Sheriff rather than the OC Police Chief?
2. Do I need to hand deliver the copy I'm supposed to send them, or can I mail it to them?

Thanks
I used the sheriff and I mailed it to them with a little cover letter.

"Enclosed please find a copy of my ATF Form 7CR. This copy is being sent to you as per federal regulation for notification purposes. You are not required to take any action with respect to the enclosed form. If I can be of any service, or if there are any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me at the address below."

I live within Corvallis city limits and I sent my notification letter to the Sheriff as the Sheriff is the Chief Law Enforcement Officer of each county, at least in my understanding.

I would tend to agree with you, but I also know that cities have the ability to set, within limitations, certain laws regarding firearms, in which case, that seems to somewhat override the county. Either way, I like the Sheriff idea better, simply because they tend to be pro-gun whereas at least some city Police Chiefs (such as Boston and DC) have an anti-gun agenda. I know our Clackamas County Sheriff is in support of our 2A rights, and that's a nice feeling.

Mailed my application off today. We'll see how long it takes to process :) I've heard about 3-4 weeks. I'll try to remember to come back and update once I get it.

Mailed my application off today. We'll see how long it takes to process :) I've heard about 3-4 weeks. I'll try to remember to come back and update once I get it.

I thought I had posted, but I didn't I guess...

I got mine on August 1st or 2nd (I was out of town that weekend), it had an issue date of 8/1/14. I think they mail them all out at the end of the month maybe? It took slightly under a month from check cashing to getting the license.

Sharing this info. My extractor in my Hi Power broke (shot great before that). Internal extractors are very difficult to find.

I came across these guys today

http://www.jackfirstgun.com/

He will custom make parts off of old guns that you cant find anymore.

Another recommendation. Dont take apart a CZ82 unless you know what you are doing. The hammer mechanism alone is a freakin rubix cube. Once the hammer parts fell out along with a tiny spring I knew I was screwed. I dont think I'll be shooting this thing any time soon :)

TmWD0Js.jpg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top