JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Uhhhm, it has chokes that go in the end. You choose the rifled one if ya wants to shoot .45LC. The other one is smooth bore.

The entire barrel is rifled. The screw in chokes are smoothbore for shooting the .45 colt slugs. The smooth section still allows the slug to keep spinning before exiting the bore aswell as protecting the threads.

The rifled choke has straight rifling. It is used with shotgun shells and is designed to STOP the shot charge from spinning to maintain some kind of usable pattern.

Same idea TC used in their .45/.410 contender barrels.

Last Edited:
They sell with a plug last I looked at one.
Had to use some Google Fu to find a description.

It appears the "plug" is easily inserted/removed the same way as the shells (swing out cylinder) and really doesn't disable the use of the chambers in any meaningful way. It's basically two dummy rounds connected together at the base. I'm not sure it would pass muster with F&W.

Had to use some Google Fu to find a description.

It appears the "plug" is easily inserted/removed the same way as the shells (swing out cylinder) and really doesn't disable the use of the chambers in any meaningful way. It's basically two dummy rounds connected together at the base. I'm not sure it would pass muster with F&W.
Beats me if it would pass, I'm pretty certain it's considered legal to use. I'm not a lawyer though. It's not much more than the wooden dowel most regular shotguns ship with.

Beats me if it would pass, I'm pretty certain it's considered legal to use. I'm not a lawyer though. It's not much more than the wooden dowel most regular shotguns ship with.
1572127696304.jpeg

I don't think there is a smooth bore Taurus. That would fall under the whole rotating revolving shotgun, which thanks to the street sweeper, is NFA I believe.

Actually, that ruling did not put a blanket ban on revolving shotguns. Just those so named in the ruling are banned. (And one of them was magazine fed.)

In theory, of course, ATF could come back and issue another ruling on an item, but they haven't made other shotguns DDs since that one during the Clinton administration. And the bore on this is < .50, so it wouldn't be DD.

Yeah, but the magazine plug requires you to do some disassembly of the firearm. Removing the barrel, end cap, spring retainer etc. and then reassembling with a plug is going to take some time and will look pretty suspicious to law enforcement.

Swinging the cylinder open and popping in a couple of dummy rounds......just too easy to cheat.

Moot point anyway, since you can't get around the rifling problem.

You mean to say the regs consider it a rifle because of the rifling despite it being loaded with .410 #5? I wonder what would be the case if I had taken my old Ithaca Deerslayer with rifled 18" barrel, loaded it with #7s and went out for grouse?

I don't think there is a smooth bore Taurus. That would fall under the whole rotating revolving shotgun, which thanks to the street sweeper, is NFA I believe.

The circuit judge is rifled.
The entire barrel is rifled. The screw in chokes are smoothbore for shooting the .45 colt slugs. The smooth section still allows the slug to keep spinning before exiting the bore aswell as protecting the threads.

The rifled choke has straight rifling. It is used with shotgun shells and is designed to STOP the shot charge from spinning to maintain some kind of usable pattern.

Same idea TC used in their .45/.410 contender barrels.

Wow, I don't clean shotgun bores so I never looked at it inside the bore. Yup, it sure is rifled! And I had the wrong choke in there. I don't imagine it mattered much considering I was using Win PDX1 with the copper slugs and bb's. They sure blasted a watermelon at 15' for sure. But I just changed the choke to the one with the straight rifling... BLAST!!! ... the stupid thing is lefty threads!!! I guess it makes sense but it sure caused me some consternation.

Last Edited:
20 or more years ago I found an Iver Johnson made about 1915 without a butt stock sticking out of a barrel at a yard sale for which I gave five bucks. A little elbow and steel wool plus a home made stock got it up and running. must remember to set the hammer one click or it can go boom if you snap it shut. Otherwise, the 2 1/2 inch shells notwithstanding, its a good little shooter with full choke.
imgp0057-1.jpg
Its the top one below
IMGP0061-1.jpg

You mean to say the regs consider it a rifle because of the rifling despite it being loaded with .410 #5? I wonder what would be the case if I had taken my old Ithaca Deerslayer with rifled 18" barrel, loaded it with #7s and went out for grouse?
Couldn't let it go, so I looked it up on the ODFW website:
Shotgun
  • Shotgun is a smooth bore firearm, designed for firing bird shot, and intended to be fired from the shoulder, with a barrel length of 18 inches or more, and with an overall length of 26 inches or more.

• Shotguns equipped with rifled slug barrels are considered shotguns when used for hunting pronghorn, bear, cougar, deer, or elk when centerfire rifles or shotguns are legal weapons.
So rifled shotguns are shotguns for some big game hunts, but it doesn't appear they are shotguns for bird hunting. Go figure.

Too bad the Taurus is a rifle. I understand, legally, why they had to do that in the revolver. But a full length long gun, they could have gone either way.

Out of curiosity, does it impact the pattern much?

Only .410 I own at the moment is rifled and is a bond arms derringer. It is a lot of fun though.

I always thought those would make a dandy snake gun. On year we had the slithering serpent types in abundance here and I remember thinking that would be handy. Went with loading a .38 snub with rat shot. Still, the Bond has a much flatter profile. :)

Too bad the Taurus is a rifle. I understand, legally, why they had to do that in the revolver. But a full length long gun, they could have gone either way.

Out of curiosity, does it impact the pattern much?

IDK. I never patterned it since the plan was always to shoot PDX1 loads with the copper discs and bb's. But since I seem to have had the wrong choke in it anyway, the test would have been bunk. It'd be nice to try both chokes with a regular load of say #5s like you would for snake, and compare them to each other as well as a standard .410 shotty.

I always thought those would make a dandy snake gun. On year we had the slithering serpent types in abundance here and I remember thinking that would be handy. Went with loading a .38 snub with rat shot. Still, the Bond has a much flatter profile. :)

I saw a vid of a guy firing a Judge with shot at a snake, and he had to get real close to get the job done. It looked like maybe six feet or less. I'm thinking it must open up quickly with a short barrel and standard shot. Just a guess tho.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top