JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well, you can always hunt your own! Roast it, with a rub, and get some char on it! Yum!
Fresh food is always healthier than processed! If you cook the worms out of him!

Yes I agree the story is a bit worthless but it does make you think what might happen and if the US even has a plan.

What to me is scary is the fact they allow a minimum of 9 square feet per person. Think about it, you are being pack into a underground bunker for anywhere from 2 to 14 days with your very own 3 foot by 3 foot square all to yourself. I have a coat closet that size and I stood in it for 5 min and man it is not much room.

You cannot even lie down to sleep without team work and playing well with others to make it happen. Yes I know this is the minimum but still in a bad time they could even be more crowded than planned for and forget any personal belongings.

Yes I agree the story is a bit worthless but it does make you think what might happen and if the US even has a plan.

The US government and elites have a plan, they just don't give a **** about the rest of the populace enough to make plans for us, except for continuation of the government. Which is ok, I have my own plans and they do not depend on the US gov, which is as it should be.

Generally nuclear war is low on my list of threats, although I do make allowances (try not to live in a fallout zone, etc.). I plan more for the likely events:

1) Unplanned financial issues - things/people break and get sick.
2) Getting old. Inevitable and happening now. BTW - this really sucks.
3) Unemployment - has happened many times to me.
4) Natural events, wind storms, volcanos, floods, fires and so on.
x) Zombie apocalypse type events - nuclear war, asteroid, CME, etc.

Last Edited:
My next place - if I live that long - will have an earth bermed house, further from metro areas with concrete walls, a reinforced 'safe room' (in more ways than one) with an escape route. Probably a pantry/root cellar next to the safe room. A decon room that doubles as a mud room. That kind of thing.

The Swiss have their shiet together. Perhaps some was lost in translation? Years ago six, (6) of us spent a very non comfy three, (3) days inside a 6x12 underground can. A test. You get stinky. You crave Valium. In our case we had insufficient ventilation.

You can build your own world class bomb shelter but be prepared to spend some bucks. It will NOT work as a tsunami shelter. But it would work dandy as a tornado shelter. For Zombie attacks I do not know. Six square feet is not very much. More is better.

My main reason for earth berming is insulation. I want to have minimal need for energy to keep warm in the winter. Much of the time I intend to not be there in the winter, so I don't want things to freeze and I want to spend less than the $100 to $200/mo. I spend now on heat in the in the winter to keep things from freezing when I am not there, and to keep me warm (or cool) when I am there.

Besides earth berms, I intend to have geo thermal sources for heat and hydronic floor heating. Again, for low cost heat (not including the building cost) and constant temps.

Not worried about tsunami as I will not be exposed to that, but I will have the ICF walls reinforced for earthquake resistance. Ventilation - including filters - is important.

My main reason for earth berming is insulation. I want to have minimal need for energy to keep warm in the winter. Much of the time I intend to not be there in the winter, so I don't want things to freeze and I want to spend less than the $100 to $200/mo. I spend now on heat in the in the winter to keep things from freezing when I am not there, and to keep me warm (or cool) when I am there.

Besides earth berms, I intend to have geo thermal sources for heat and hydronic floor heating. Again, for low cost heat (not including the building cost) and constant temps.

Not worried about tsunami as I will not be exposed to that, but I will have the ICF walls reinforced for earthquake resistance. Ventilation - including filters - is important.

Great idea!

Supposedly easier to keep cool in high summer as well.

Great idea!

Supposedly easier to keep cool in high summer as well.

It is. I have lived more than one place with a subterrain basement and it was always cooler in the summer. Besides that, it is easier and cheaper to use A/C - in western OR at least - to stay cool than it is to heat.

Hydronic floor heating doesn't help much with cooling. You can run cold water through it, but then your floors are cold in the summer. I will mostly rely on just not having much exposure to warm air - I know that works well enough from past experience.

I intend to have some backup - a heat pump with forced air, but if I lose grid power I won't have to rely on it, plus I intend to have solar power too. The idea being to have a place that is inexpensive to maintain, low energy needs and more self-sufficient to survive. Even though I am sure it will cost more to build, in the long term it will save money and have value - especially if I have to live without grid power.

The US government and elites have a plan, they just don't give a **** about the rest of the populace enough to make plans for us, except for continuation of the government. Which is ok, I have my own plans and they do not depend on the US gov, which is as it should be.

I agree and understand this and I am for the most part will be self reliant in bad situations. I have food, medical and protection stored and family/friends that will help in protection.

I am not ready for a Nuke and have never planned for one as I do not know if I could. I spent enough time in the military to know without decontamination stations and supplies I am pretty much going to die a slow pain full death.

As far as a tsunami shelter if there is one that large to hit me in Idaho at my altitude it pretty much means Washington, Oregon at least fell into the ocean and most likely California as well and the mountain range between the coast and Idaho is gone and there is probably is a lot more going on than just a tsunami (the movie 2012).

I know that the government is set and we "low life taxpaying units" will have to fend for our self as usual.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top