Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

The legal Length of shotgun barrels

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by FireArm, Aug 12, 2012.

1. FireArm

FireArm Beavercreek 97004 Well-Known Member 2015 Volunteer

So I am in a little situation I bought a used generic Mossberg 500, It works great has a houge pistol grip and I added the front houge pump grip because it still had the factory wooden one when I got it, I noticed when I purchased it that the barrel is cut down. I was looking at it today and thinking it looked a little short to be 18" inches, and I know most folks leave the extra 1/2 inch just in case. So I pulled out the measure tape and sure enough the barrel is under 18inches!!! I am thinking of threading the outside of the barrel and putting on a muzzle device to add an inch and make it legal. My question is the measuring point of the barrel, I measured the barrel when it was installed on the shotgun because I am thinking that is the correct way to measure, from the receiver to the tip of the barrel. I feel like I kinda got screwed but I got the shotgun for $150 bucks, and am trying to avoid buying a new barrel. What are your thoughts? thanks in advance for the info. and pointers.

2. Modeler

Modeler Molalla, Oregon Soccer Fan

Close the action and drop a dowel down the bore until it touches the bolt. Mark the dowel where it exits the barrel. Pull the dowel out, measure it from the end that touched the bolt to the mark you made at the end of the barrel; that is your barrel length.

mjbskwim and (deleted member) like this.
  3. waltermitty

waltermitty seattle Active Member

action should be closed (fully forward). measure begins at breech face....to the muzzle crown.

if you do attach muzzle device, be sure it is soldered high temp, and/or blind pinned - these are
    attachment methods blessed by BATF

4. Modeler

Modeler Molalla, Oregon Soccer Fan

From Midway USA:

[video=youtube_share;Wi6kVI8ckqY]http://youtu.be/Wi6kVI8ckqY[/video]

5. FireArm

FireArm Beavercreek 97004 Well-Known Member 2015 Volunteer

Thanks for that, My shotguns barrel is actually of legal length! :D I am gonna leave it how it is !!!