JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This is not a form email that I have seen before, I'm guessing it could be a new one. I wrote a pretty comprehensive email the last time I sent one, and it has been a few weeks.

I also wrote and sent another once I got this one.

Dear speeddemon94,

Thank you for contacting me to express your views on legislation to reduce gun violence. As Oregonians, we have experienced more than enough gun violence and this issue hits close to home for many of us. And yet many Oregonians cherish their guns and want to ensure that they continue to have the right to use them safely. I appreciate knowing the thoughts of Oregonians on all sides of this complex issue.

As you probably know, the Senate recently debated the Safe Communities, Safe Schools Act (S.649), a bill that I have supported as a strong effort to keep guns out of the hands of criminals and reduce gun violence without impinging on the Second Amendment. The bill's main thrust is to close loopholes in the background check system, including the gun-show loophole. Oregon closed the gun-show loophole years ago, so this is consistent with choices we have made. I believe strongly that the most basic protection we can provide is to do a better job keeping guns out of the hands of criminals and people with serious mental illnesses who may pose a threat to themselves and others. The bill also includes provisions strengthening criminal penalties for people who conduct "straw purchases" on behalf of others in order to evade background checks.

During the debate of the bill, the Senate also considered amendments on a number of other provisions. I supported restrictions on large ammunition magazines, which are not needed for hunting or target shooting, but have been used in many mass shootings, and on military-style assault weapons. I also voted in favor of a bipartisan amendment to improve the mental health system and an amendment by Senator Barrasso (R-WY) to stop states from publicly disclosing personal information about people with gun permits.

I recognize that Oregonians come down in very different places on some of these policy choices. I come from rural Oregon and recognize the importance of hunting, target shooting, and gun collecting in many communities. I am committed to protecting the constitutional right of law-abiding citizens to own guns. As a parent and a policymaker, I also feel a strong responsibility to take meaningful action to reduce the gun deaths and injuries that plague our country and to keep kids safe. We need to do what we can to prevent the horror of Newtown and Clackamas Town Center and so many other tragedies from happening again. I believe S. 649 meets both of those priorities.

Work on the bill was suspended after it became clear that it lacked the supermajority of 60 votes to overcome a filibuster. If the Senate returns to this topic, I will certainly keep your views in mind. Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me.

All my best,
Jeff Merkley
United States Senate

I got this too. I responded to him that I will be actively working towards this being his last term. Uphold the Constitution or lose the job.

A non-answer from a non-person. FOAD.

You have a real attitude problem. I said it was new and I had not seen it before, I did not jump up and down and say that this guy actually responded to me. People like you are the reason we as firearm owners stand divided.

This is called sharing information, so that we may all be better informed, but I guess it would just be better for us all to stay quiet and just let whatever happens happen.

I got this too. I responded to him that I will be actively working towards this being his last term. Uphold the Constitution or lose the job.

Cool, thanks. Like I said, hadn't seen it yet, good to know others are getting it too and the politicians are keeping up with the status quo.
I went through and picked the whole thing apart point by point. Pretty much told him the same thing.

By edict of Stomper the Imperious, we hereby declare that from this point forward, we shall refer to the Senator in question as.... Sen. Smirkly. Any violation of this edict will not be tolerated and shall be punished with extreme internet flaming until the genetalia of the offender blacken, crispify, and fall off or blow away in the wind.

Remember Stomper is watching. That is all, carry on.

This. Merkley, Wyden, and Bonamici, all traitors who vote against the 2nd every chance they get.
Since you mentioned Wyden, I think it a bit ironic that I sat no more than 10ft away from him at the restaurant in Sun River with my Glock19 nicely concealed and he seemed to be totally at ease not knowing such a thing was occurring in his presence. The sad part was that I would have defended his reptilian like presence if anyone tried to harm him....but then again, he never knew I was there and I was packing.

I received the same. I sent my best wishes on their future job searches to both Merkley and Wyden as soon as the votes on S. 649 were reported and let them know that I and tens of thousands of Oregonians would be actively working to give them the opportunity to pursue a different career path.

I've also sent my thanks for their public service, and best wishes in what ever their future job interests hold. I have become a single issue voter and will work tirelessly to make sure they are serving their last term in office.

I got the same letter...still trying to think of what to say to him...
With Smirkley it won't matter what you say to him. His ears are so full of his king's bullbubblegum that he's been permanently brainwashed into his way of thinking. He is a lost cause who needs to be voted out of office at the next opportunity.

Since you mentioned Wyden, I think it a bit ironic that I sat no more than 10ft away from him at the restaurant in Sun River with my Glock19 nicely concealed and he seemed to be totally at ease not knowing such a thing was occurring in his presence. The sad part was that I would have defended his reptilian like presence if anyone tried to harm him....but then again, he never knew I was there and I was packing.

You should have switched to open carry!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top