Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

The last 50 Japanese workers just abandoned the plant.......

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Trlsmn, Mar 15, 2011.

1. Trlsmn

Trlsmn In Utero (Portland) Well-Known Member

We are watching history in the making.

2. Definitely scary.

3. Trlsmn

My solution at this point.............Nuclear bombs, burn it, burn it all!

mk17-nuclear-bomb.jpg

4. I've got a better idea, send the cast of Jersey Shore over. Not that they'll fix anything, I just want them to die.

5. absoluterik07

absoluterik07 Salem, OR Member

HAHAHAHAHAHA! Just spit coffee all over thanks!

6. orygun

orygun West Linn Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

My wife and daughter watch that crap. I tend to agree with you!

7. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

:cheer::woot::cheer:

8. Cougfan2

Cougfan2 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

Normally not a fan of gallows humor, especially in situations like this, but this made me chuckle. Maybe they can send Gilbert Godfried with them. Google it and you will understand.

9. deadeye

deadeye Albany,OR. Moderator Staff Member

No need to google that waste of air, maybe strap him to the bomb. Better yet put Gilbert in a room with the cast of Jersey shore new version of the movie Saw.

10. Trlsmn

[video=youtube;-gb0mxcpPOU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gb0mxcpPOU[/video]

11. MA Duce

MA Duce Central Oregon Well-Known Member

Bad sign. If they can't keep water flowing things will get real ugly real quick.

12. trainsktg

trainsktg Portland OR Well-Known Member

I'm not sure where these particular sensors are but 1000 msieverts is a significant gamma flux. It means that the cores are at least partially uncovered, as has been reported.

The fact though that the flux first increased then later decreased significantly is a (somewhat relatively) good sign though, as it means that the primary containment is still almost certainly intact. Since water is both a coolant and a significant gamma shield, either additional cooling water is still being successfully added to the core from outside sources, or the cores are finally cooling to a point that steam within the primary containment is once again condensing into water. Either event means more water is covering the core. Its probably too early for the latter to be correct, though.

One thing for certain, this will be a case study of 'lessons learned' for decades to come.

13. Trlsmn

If you think about the Japanese economy Japan depends on exports, the world will be putting all Japanese imports under intense scrutiny, this could bankrupt the whole country. If I had stock in a Japanese company would sell real soon, I'm sure a lot smarter people than me are thinking the same thing, maybe a free fall over the next few days? You could always buy back at the bottom, well unless the Nikkei does a China Syndrome of it's own.

14. Blitzkrieg

15. CavVet

CavVet Seattle Member

I think a dosimeter is a GREAT asset......BUT...Chernobyl was detected ?500? miles max iirc? Seattle to Tokyo is 5000 miles.

I know we are downwind, but if we go back to Nevada Test site days, and look at the thryoid maps it may be seen stretching to KC or so, still under 2k miles, on land.

If I thought worst case scenario was a reasonable threat, my Wife & kid would be headed east to stay with family for awhile. Even my paranoid butt isnt seeing it.

16. trainsktg

It looks like the 50 are still on the job.

The Fukushima 50: Not afraid to die - CBS Evening News - CBS News

An interesting point raised in the story: "The official said that his friend, one of the Fukushima 50, told him that he was not afraid to die, that that was his job. Cham Dallas, who led teams responding to the Chernobyl disaster, said that kind of response is not out of the normal for some workers in the nuclear energy sector."

I would have to agree. A young Soviet reactor operator risked and ultimately lost his life doing the same. It still chokes me up to this day to think of his bravery and sacrifice. The coast of North Carolina and much of Eastern Seaboard would have become highly contaminated had he not succeeded.

Sergei Preminin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia . He was posthumously named as a Hero of the Russian Federation and awarded an Order of the Red Star.

Keith

17. MA Duce

MA Duce Central Oregon Well-Known Member

I think what we are seeing is the normal reaction of a group of dedicated professionals. I think the character of the Japanese culture has a lot to do with it as well. Their inherent sense of honor and loyalty demands that they handle the crises in their plant. I am sure anyone who has been in a group of highly trained individuals in a crisis setting has seen the same reaction. Many years ago I got some very good advice from and old hand: "When things are going to **** around you, concentrate on your job and control the things you can control to the best of your ability. That will keep your mind off what might happen and give you the best chance of coming out of things in one piece." Sadly for these guys exposure to the levels reported has no good outcome.

18. trainsktg

Additional news is stating that the workers are being exposed to 10msieverts of flux per hour. That's roughly 1 rem per hour. I believe US government limits for radiation workers, under normal non-emergency conditions, is 5 rem per year.

Keith

19. Bigfoot

Bigfoot Clack Co. OR Well-Known Member

IAEA confirms that reactors 1, 2 & 3 are in a state of partial melt down.

I have tons of respect for the Japanese people and the character that they have shown.

Prayers sent.

20. Blitzkrieg

I agree for the most part but there's no harm in keeping an eye out. We haven't begun taking PI yet if that tells you anything. Better safe than sorry and this little [potential] dry run has exposed some flaws in my short term NBC plans. For one thing I now realize that I forgot to buy the 25 foot extension sensor for my meter, so I could read from inside the house

I also have not kept my stock of D cell batteries up since I only use them in one flashlight (Geiger counter uses them)