JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Cutting in this weather drains you quick. Then have a bad back since 40 years ago makes it that much better. But I found after I cut for 2 hours the pain goes away but it's a nasty 2 hours until getting loosened up. On the plus side this time the wood is free and only 1 mile from my home, all I could want or use. Other than that the only thing to mention is my "NEW" chain saw. Never had one before. The last 2 started giving out and a neighbor let me borrow his. Like it so much I bought one for myself. A Stihl MS 180 C, 16" bar, works good for wood already down. The neat thing with this model is the easy start. The pull start is not traditional pull start. You pull this one out slow, crank does not turn, and it stores the energy then releases it to start. Like the old windup lawn mowers.
Sure is easy on an old guy, that's why my neighbor got his. Getting close to 60 I'm an old guy also.

I kinda got addicted to cutting firewood last year. Went up 2times a week to 7k feet. That will suck the life out of an old fat guy,let me tell ya.
And I got enough that I really don't need to go this year.
Now I bought one of those saws like you have and figured out it just was t enough saw for what I was doing. Now I have a 391? Stihl ,their big farm saw.
I didn't want a big heavy saw but it made the whole process much easier. With a sharp chain it glides thru a 12" log

Only way to get warm. Previous owners let the baseboard heaters fill with paper, crayons,etc. Pulled everyone out and use only wood heat. Installed ceiling fans to circulate heat.
And sweep chimney out once a month or more just to be safe. Mornings can get down to 45 or 50 but start up the fire and good to go.

Gave up on wood over 22 years ago have been heating with a Kozi Pellet stove ever since. Just now had to replace the little burner grate for the first time. I have replaced two of the Three motors and should do the third before winter (its making noise) Last winter was mild and we used less then two tons of pellets $450 delivered by WILCO and stacked in the carport. I move them a 1/2 ton at a time into the laundry room so we don't have to go out at night to get another bag. Fill the stove once every 24 to 28 hours at times its 2 weeks between cleanings and having to relight the stove. Very even heat and yes a couple ceiling fans to help. I have a nice Red Cedar mantle and pellet box built around the stove that holds 10 bags worth of pellets we use a feed scoop to fill the stove or just pour a whole bag in the hopper.

No mess no bugs no bad back no worries about when to get the wood and how to cure it. Wilco has a big sale on them in JULY and Early August the wife calls and the boys deliever it. And its real nice if we decide to take off for a weekend during the winter our friends who live next door just pop over before dinner and dump a bag of pellets in and leave. Nothing to mess with.

Gave up on wood over 22 years ago have been heating with a Kozi Pellet stove ever since. Just now had to replace the little burner grate for the first time. I have replaced two of the Three motors and should do the third before winter (its making noise) Last winter was mild and we used less then two tons of pellets $450 delivered by WILCO and stacked in the carport. I move them a 1/2 ton at a time into the laundry room so we don't have to go out at night to get another bag. Fill the stove once every 24 to 28 hours at times its 2 weeks between cleanings and having to relight the stove. Very even heat and yes a couple ceiling fans to help. I have a nice Red Cedar mantle and pellet box built around the stove that holds 10 bags worth of pellets we use a feed scoop to fill the stove or just pour a whole bag in the hopper.

No mess no bugs no bad back no worries about when to get the wood and how to cure it. Wilco has a big sale on them in JULY and Early August the wife calls and the boys deliever it. And its real nice if we decide to take off for a weekend during the winter our friends who live next door just pop over before dinner and dump a bag of pellets in and leave. Nothing to mess with.
Is yours a gravity feed or electric?

Yep,easy again this year. $500.00 got me two cords 50/50 maple/alder mix. I just had to move it from the front to the side and back yard to finish seaoning up. With electric baseboard heat that could cost us well over $200.00 a month starting in November, I consider it a bargain! Have an old Earth Stove in the living room, and with a fan in the hall way heats out little 1000/sq' home nicely.

I love wood heat!

Tree cutting is easy, it's the splitting that is tough. Sure do appreciate my neighbor lending me his splitter, and I always return it in improved condition so he keeps wanting to lend it to me. :)

My chain saw is a classic, a Stihl 032AV, no idiot-proof crap and I like it that way. Powerful and reasonable weight, and almost no plastic. Modern chains saws just irritate the Hell out of me.

I'll bet I'm into my 7-8 cords AND my 14x21x8 foot high wood shed about $150 total.
Why I would buy wood when I am capable of cutting and splitting my own,even at 58yo and 50 pounds over weight,is beyond me.
I can still man handle the logs in my truck and out at my house and set them on the bench I made from logs,to cut them.
Pellets are for city kids,wood is for the romantic.

I should note our house is 1700 square feet on two levels (we like a cool bedroom so its only heated to about 55 degrees. We do have a small 1500 watt oil filled radiator that we use on nights it gets down below 35 out (in Silverton that is only a couple weeks maybe three in a hard winter) The wife has a little electric wall heater to warm up in the morning for her shower.

I have figured out how much electricity we use to heat in the winter and its less then $150.00 in the coldest of winters that includes the Pellet stove and the little back ups. So in a hard winter we get by with about 2.25 tons of pellets at $190 a ton Plus $25 in delivery each. And the Electric.

I used to love the HELL out of cutting and splitting firewood (to sell) during the couple years I spent as a gypo-logger. My buddy would cut and buck the logs then stage them with the D7, I'd cut them into rounds then go to town with a 10# mall & knock out 5 cords before lunch.

Good honest hard work that would either make you into a SUPER-BEAST... or break and kill you. HELL YEAH!!! :D

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top