JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Thanks to NWFA and Coctailer, I picked up the Mosin-Nagant from the quarterly drawing today. Now I just need to do some cosmo cleaning. What are your preferred methods?

Last time I did it, a friend had picked up a couple of M1s (20+ years ago). His dad had us remove the stocks and put the guns in a drum with near-boiling water for about 10 minutes, wipe 'em off, then get to work on the action with gasoline and toothbrushes.

I'm thinking my steamgun followed by a liberal dose of good old-time Hoppes then CLP the heck out of it.

I'll post a few pics after I clean it up.

http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting2006/lowheatmethod/index.asp

Read...

http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting2006/lowheatmethod2/index.asp

part 2

http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting2006/lowheatmethod2a/index.asp

part 3

There are a million variations on this theme.... another popular one is 6" heating duct and one of those small space heaters...set up at a slight angle, heater on uphill side blowing into the pipe, cosmo will melt and drain out end of tube...

Easy-bake garbage can. I like it. Thanks! I didn't mind the thought of steaming the metal, but I didn't want to do that with the stock. The duct is also a promising starting point. Hmmm.

The absolute best way is to literally shoot the crap out of it. There's nothing more satisfying than seeing liquified pools cosmo on the upper handguard.

Nathan

Get dressed in grubby clothes and go shooting.

Wipe it down after every 15 rounds:s0114:

Doh! Could have done that except I'm waiting for Mr. UPS man to drop of the goods to make that possible.

I liked the garbage can easy-bake oven idea, but I'm too Scottish to buy new garbage cans and too lazy to wire the hardware.

I also liked the 6" duct and and space heater idea, but I don't have a space heater and I wasn't gonna pay PGE to to run a 1500 watt hair dryer for a couple of hours.

So I picked up a 5' length of duct, put the gun in there, dropped down two shop lights with 75 watt bulbs, and covered the top. Worked great. It got the gun up to just the right temperature. I just checked it and wiped it down about every 15-20 minutes.

The milsurp forums have the excellent instructions. The metal is easy.... the wood.... ugh... easyoff oven cleaner did a good job on my yugo Mauser....(I went with Lemon scent) ... I also wrapped it in newspapers in my truck in July, changing newspaper wrap daily and that helped.

Brake cleaner eats cosmo! It will also strip some varnishes, oil, and grease. make sure you oil all metal parts after using brake cleaner on it (i use Breakfree). Brake cleaner is especially helpful cleaning the chamber and the bolt parts.

I would recommend mineral spirits for the wood parts. It removes cosmo and grime, but leaves finishes pretty much intact.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top