Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

The Joy of Cosmoline

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by dolooper, Jan 2, 2009.

1. dolooper

dolooper Coast Range, or thereabouts Well-Known Member

Thanks to NWFA and Coctailer, I picked up the Mosin-Nagant from the quarterly drawing today. Now I just need to do some cosmo cleaning. What are your preferred methods?

Last time I did it, a friend had picked up a couple of M1s (20+ years ago). His dad had us remove the stocks and put the guns in a drum with near-boiling water for about 10 minutes, wipe 'em off, then get to work on the action with gasoline and toothbrushes.

I'm thinking my steamgun followed by a liberal dose of good old-time Hoppes then CLP the heck out of it.

I'll post a few pics after I clean it up.

2. Joe Link

Joe Link Portland, OR Well-Known Member Staff Member Lifetime Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Hope you enjoy it buddy!

3. Unka-Boo

Unka-Boo Milwaukie Active Member

4. dolooper

Easy-bake garbage can. I like it. Thanks! I didn't mind the thought of steaming the metal, but I didn't want to do that with the stock. The duct is also a promising starting point. Hmmm.

5. Unka-Boo

Unka-Boo Milwaukie Active Member

No problem.....the really cheap way to do it is to set out in the sun for a few hours....of course, that's a rare commodity around here!

6. coctailer

coctailer Portland, OR/Hastings, MI/Vancouver,WA I run with scissors.

Get dressed in grubby clothes and go shooting.

Wipe it down after every 15 rounds:laugh:

7. PosterGuy

PosterGuy Hillsboro Member

The absolute best way is to literally shoot the crap out of it. There's nothing more satisfying than seeing liquified pools cosmo on the upper handguard.

Nathan

8. dolooper

Doh! Could have done that except I'm waiting for Mr. UPS man to drop of the goods to make that possible.

I liked the garbage can easy-bake oven idea, but I'm too Scottish to buy new garbage cans and too lazy to wire the hardware.

I also liked the 6" duct and and space heater idea, but I don't have a space heater and I wasn't gonna pay PGE to to run a 1500 watt hair dryer for a couple of hours.

So I picked up a 5' length of duct, put the gun in there, dropped down two shop lights with 75 watt bulbs, and covered the top. Worked great. It got the gun up to just the right temperature. I just checked it and wiped it down about every 15-20 minutes.

9. Deavis

Deavis Mid Willamette Valley Active Member

The milsurp forums have the excellent instructions. The metal is easy.... the wood.... ugh... easyoff oven cleaner did a good job on my yugo Mauser....(I went with Lemon scent) ... I also wrapped it in newspapers in my truck in July, changing newspaper wrap daily and that helped.

10. FortMoe

FortMoe Milwaukie, OR New Member

I have a solvent tank with just plain old mineral spirits in it works great. You can pick it up fairly cheap at any paint supply place, (Home Depot, Lowes, etc.)

11. kirkcdl

kirkcdl Roseburg,ORYGUN Member

WD40 washes it right off,then wipe it down and lube as usual...

12. Ballistic

Ballistic Salem, Oregon Active Member

Brake cleaner eats cosmo! It will also strip some varnishes, oil, and grease. make sure you oil all metal parts after using brake cleaner on it (i use Breakfree). Brake cleaner is especially helpful cleaning the chamber and the bolt parts.

I would recommend mineral spirits for the wood parts. It removes cosmo and grime, but leaves finishes pretty much intact.