JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
BTW, 10 years at a minimum wage job, accounting for living costs such as rent, utilities and so forth........

NOT POSSIBLE to invest enough to retire under 30? And be untouched by market changes to boot? WAY MORE to the story here if it's indeed true.

Ah, I'm not gonna waste any more time on this for crying out loud.

On a more realistic note, I bought a new safe today. Liberty Colonial 30.

Paid in cash. And the lights are still on at my house. As will be the ones in the safe. I spared no expense on the extras. :)

BTW, 10 years at a minimum wage job, accounting for living costs such as rent, utilities and so forth........

NOT POSSIBLE to invest enough to retire under 30? And be untouched by market changes to boot? WAY MORE to the story here if it's indeed true.

Ah, I'm not gonna waste any more time on this for crying out loud.

On a more realistic note, I bought a new safe today. Liberty Colonial 30.

Paid in cash. And the lights are still on at my house. As will be the ones in the safe. I spared no expense on the extras. :)

Nice! :cool: If I ever get a 2nd safe (which I may one day), it will be a Liberty.

th.jpeg Hey does anyone want to know the secret to retiring after 10 years at a minimum wage job?
You live in your parents basement of course

That's part of what really gets to me with this - people that look forward to laughing at the misfortune of others? That doesn't speak of a high quality of character in my book. If I were in the same position he claims to be in, the last thing I would do is laugh at my family - I'd be prepared to help them.

People that find joy in the misfortunes of others definitely don't sit well with me.

Yah.

Worse part in all this is that it would take glee at misfortune of family. Family!

It is well beyond pancake bunny in my book, entered into sociopath zone.

Not funny, quite sad.

Retired millennial.Also, Im not like the typical retarded millennials out there. Im smarter than most people would think. Hell, I dont even have a stupid cell phone or any stupid social media sites..I invested right after I graduated from high school. Worked crappy minimum wage jobs for a decade and was able to invest wisely in-order to retire. And Im not talking about $hitcoins... If anyone invest in that, then they deserve to lose everything.As for inheritance, lol, dont make me laugh. Most people in my family are cheap pieces of $hit. Wouldnt take a penny from those people even if they handed it to me on a silver platter. I want to see the look on their faces when the whole system collapses while I become richer than them.Imagine this, Triggerdude15, was able to get retired and become rich, all by working a minimum wage job. How pathetic would I make those people look. Their reaction would be priceless.As for the date being pushed back, Im not pushing the date back. I stand firm on my prediction for this month.. And even IF it doesnt happen, I will not make another prediction. They cant keep kicking the can down the road forever... The longer they do, the worse it will be.This is my last post, until I see the collapse happens this month.Good day to you all.

The bullsharts are deep with you skippy.

Edited to be as nice as I could muster

Last Edited:
Ok - so now that we have outed the troll - back on topic?

Now that I am all in, my funds are moving back towards where they were before the correction - they are about where they were at the end of 2017 before the January run up. So looking forward to a more gradual increase with - albeit with some bumps in the road as there usually are.

Today the logger comes with a contract for my timber - about 7 acres on the other side of the gully. Still leave about that much on this side of the gully as a buffer and wind break. I will leave some trees in the clear cut zone - the big maples and oaks, and what I think is a stand of alder on one edge of the property (unless it gets in the way of the logging - I don't care much for alder).

Going to let him take several large cedars. If they are not rotten in the middle then they should be worth quite a bit. I have a small group of much younger cedars that I think I will have him leave so they can grow more.

Cleanup and slash burning this summer - I am thinking I will rent a dozer again this year - we'll see how bad the trash and ruts are after the cutting and hauling out is done. Then replanting next year.

Hoping to get enough to pay off the mortgage. Apparently the lumber/timber market is hot right now due to all the wildfires/etc. last year. We'll see. If I do have enough to pay off the mortgage, or even close to it, then my retirement funds will definitely get left alone when I retire. I would have enough equity in my property to sell and buy undeveloped land further out where I will build my retirement home.

We'll see what happens - best not to count my chickens before they hatch. Stuff happens.

Now that I am all in, my funds are moving back towards where they were before the correction - they are about where they were at the end of 2017 before the January run up. So looking forward to a more gradual increase with - albeit with some bumps in the road as there usually are.

Today the logger comes with a contract for my timber - about 7 acres on the other side of the gully. Still leave about that much on this side of the gully as a buffer and wind break. I will leave some trees in the clear cut zone - the big maples and oaks, and what I think is a stand of alder on one edge of the property (unless it gets in the way of the logging - I don't care much for alder).

Going to let him take several large cedars. If they are not rotten in the middle then they should be worth quite a bit. I have a small group of much younger cedars that I think I will have him leave so they can grow more.

Cleanup and slash burning this summer - I am thinking I will rent a dozer again this year - we'll see how bad the trash and ruts are after the cutting and hauling out is done. Then replanting next year.

Hoping to get enough to pay off the mortgage. Apparently the lumber/timber market is hot right now due to all the wildfires/etc. last year. We'll see. If I do have enough to pay off the mortgage, or even close to it, then my retirement funds will definitely get left alone when I retire. I would have enough equity in my property to sell and buy undeveloped land further out where I will build my retirement home.

We'll see what happens - best not to count my chickens before they hatch. Stuff happens.

At the bottom of the correction, the retirement account (pension), I can direct within the available investment options, was down fewer percentage points than the overall market. So where the market bottomed out about 10% down, my pension account dropped about 6%. As of yesterday, all but 1/2% is back - so, for that account, it's almost as if the correction didn't happen, save for the gains I would have made during that 2 week period. But it's back on the upswing and looking good again.

To top it off, I finally got a separate 401K started this year with money from my raise. I've wanted to do this for a while and finally agreed with the wife to make it happen. If things go well, we'll see about adding more to it. I'd love to retire before 65, even before 60, if possible. Hard to predict the future (so I won't do it), but things are looking good at the moment.

Outstanding plan, and also a great outlook! Certainly hope it goes as planned, but with your outlook doesn't matter so much.

Nice!

Q: will you get a tax break on the logging by replanting? Or just the rite thing to do?

At the bottom of the correction, the retirement account (pension), I can direct within the available investment options, was down fewer percentage points than the overall market. So where the market bottomed out about 10% down, my pension account dropped about 6%. As of yesterday, all but 1/2% is back - so, for that account, it's almost as if the correction didn't happen, save for the gains I would have made during that 2 week period. But it's back on the upswing and looking good again.

Ditto. None of my accounts went down as far as the market, but then most funds have a mix of stocks and usually some bonds/etc., plus some of the funds are international.

Bottom line is that it wasn't that big of a deal. The years where the market was flat affected me more than this correction did - several years where I did not keep up with inflation.

Outstanding plan, and also a great outlook! Certainly hope it goes as planned, but with your outlook doesn't matter so much.

Nice!

Q: will you get a tax break on the logging by replanting? Or just the rite thing to do?

By law I am required to replant. If I don't, then there are fines. When you buy logged land like this, that liability comes with it too. You also have to make sure that the planted trees do well for long enough (several years after replanting) for them to compete with brush and grass, so you have to keep the weeds/etc. under control. You have to wind up with a certain density of viable trees - usually between 100 to 200 trees per acre, so most people plant more than that.

If you don't want to replant then you can try for rezoning, but that isn't feasible or desirable for my land. No one will want to build on that side of the gully and farming it is not a good idea either (unless you buy the adjoining land, and even then I wouldn't).

The replanting will be done by the logger next year in the winter - usually from December to March at the latest. I plan to clean up after the logging - it makes a real mess - and then replanting will be easier and go better.

The logger will put in Douglas fir, but I may also plant some cedar and maybe a few sequoia.

Besides the law, yes, it is the right thing to do. If you don't replant then it gets taken over by scrub brush and becomes a fire hazard - not to mention it looks like crap and drives down the property value.

Neighbors replanted and then had to replant again. ODF came by and told one guy he had to replant again, other one didn't replant quick enough so he had to scramble to not get fined. I told him but he apparently thought he could just ignore it. I see people ignore it all the time, but eventually somebody gets stuck with doing it.

I did not replant when I had my thinning done because I took out the smaller trees and other trees that were too close together. Now I still have a good stand of very mature timber near the house that is more like a park than a forest - 70 year old trees 50+ feet apart in many areas.

Going to plant trees (cedar and sequoia and cypress) around the borders to add some privacy back.

"The average annualized total return for the S&P 500 index over the past 90 years is 9.8 percent. "

The S&P 500 has already met its average return for a full year, but don't expect it to stay here

Almost ten percent on average - over the long term - is a pretty good return.

If you have a steady 7% return every year, you will double your money in ten years.

Start with $100K when you are 30, earning 7% annually, by the time you are 60 you will have $800K without any further input, when you are 70 you will have $1.6M.

I wish we had been able to start earlier and went with this kind of strategy right now. A friend who started way earlier that I did has about 6 million in index funds and does very well. Very little input management needed and great returns.

Yeah, if I had started just ten years earlier than I did I could have retired before now.

Yeah, if I had started just ten years earlier than I did I could have retired before now.

I started contributing to pensions when I was 24. I'll turn 50 next year. I'm hoping to retire by 60, but there are a lot of factors that have to come into consideration, including my daughter's schooling (she won't start college, if she goes, until I'm at least 56), how the market goes over the next 10 years, potential inheritances, and future contributions above and beyond what I'm already making. I got a good early start, but didn't push as hard as some others to sock money away. Still, things are doing good and looking up especially this last year.

Yup. Plans are good, but a person must be flexible because 'stuff' happens.

I am still not sure whether I will stick with my previous plan of retiring in 2020 or not.

Best case I get much more than I need from my timber sale, I have the cash to not only pay off my mortgage, but enough to buy the kind of undeveloped land I want on the east side the coast range, put a well and septic system in without going into debt.

More likely case is I can make a sizable dent in my mortgage, but I will need to keep working until 2020 and then retire and sell this place and then buy land and develop it.

Worst likely case, I don't make near enough after taxes to do much with my mortgage, or something happens and the money goes for some other purpose. I need to keep working until I am 70 and then retire. I don't think this will happen, but I allow that it might.

Yup. Plans are good, but a person must be flexible because 'stuff' happens.

I am still not sure whether I will stick with my previous plan of retiring in 2020 or not.

Best case I get much more than I need from my timber sale, I have the cash to not only pay off my mortgage, but enough to buy the kind of undeveloped land I want on the east side the coast range, put a well and septic system in without going into debt.

More likely case is I can make a sizable dent in my mortgage, but I will need to keep working until 2020 and then retire and sell this place and then buy land and develop it.

Worst likely case, I don't make near enough after taxes to do much with my mortgage, or something happens and the money goes for some other purpose. I need to keep working until I am 70 and then retire. I don't think this will happen, but I allow that it might.

One big unknown is post retirement healthcare. Being a Type 1 diabetic, I will have ongoing expenses just for day to day medications and healthcare that some others may not have to deal with. I have to be certain that's accounted for before I retire. There are scenarios I play out that could have me working as late as 70, but as you said, many things could change. I'd like 60, 65 may be more realistic, 70, may be a necessity.

I've got a co-worker that just turned 74 - she still can't afford to retire. I'd rather not have to be working that long - unless of course it's doing something I really love.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top