JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've yet to see anything resemble a homeless person while driving through Lake Oswego.
That's because they see it like I do. The homeless are scum who are that way largely by choice. They congregate where the handouts are. Much like feeding stray cats, once you take away the freebies they are forced to fend for themselves again. Until then, there is zero motivation to change their lifestyle. Remember, whether is was putting a needle in their arm, marring a loser, being a loser, losing jobs, getting pregnant, fighting with parents, refusing to take their meds, etc, all were choices. I'm not against helping people, but these people don't want help, they want free stuff and to be left alone. Society needs to stop accepting their choices and stop making excuses for them. My stone cold .02

At 70 years old, if you are unarmed then you're prey. These thugs know that. They have and will again zero in on you. Not trying to be rude. At 39 years with a back that feels much older than my brain and a shoulder awaiting surgery, if I am unarmed, I too am prey. Best bet is to avoid places where conflict is likely to arise. If you do decide to go back, go armed and be prepared and able to defend yourself only as a last resort. I live in the modern day equivelent of Mayberry. There is a lake on the edge of town that I frequently fish with a kid or two in tow. I feel safe 99% of the time (only had an issue once), but I am armed 100% of the time.
Get a REAL Taser pistol, like the police carry. Knocks them down and keeps them down. Gives you time to make your exit without having to use lethal force And it hurts them when you rip the darts out ;-)

OK, but I've seen quite a number of (documentary) police encounters with dirtbags that weren't even fazed by a taser.

Me, bullets beat a taser if you're in a self defense/life or death scenario...

Homelessness is a life style chosen by predators and drug dealers preying on the weak.
Enabling homelessness makes politicians feel good and is in opposition to the majority of "us"!

As a retired LEO I never once spoke to the "homeless" that wanted help. They want to be left alone to ply their trade.

The "homeless situation" is a badge of courage for politicians. They are not listening to "us"!

I propose we all give the useless bums large donations to camp in front of the elected officials homes. I would wager you would see something done then. Maybe charter some busses to really drive the point home.

I have long said this is the only "other way" to fix this. Since voters are not willing to do anything, the people in charge would do something if they had to live with this. None of them invite these camps and RV's to set up in front of where they live. It's why they allow and support it. As long as it's in front of other peoples homes and the other people keep putting them back in office? Well why not. Now if they started to camp in their yards they would have them removed promptly.

Homelessness is a life style chosen by predators and drug dealers preying on the weak.
Enabling homelessness makes politicians feel good and is in opposition to the majority of "us"!

As a retired LEO I never once spoke to the "homeless" that wanted help. They want to be left alone to ply their trade.

The "homeless situation" is a badge of courage for politicians. They are not listening to "us"!

As long as they keep wining re election why listen? Kind of like raising a child with no boundaries. If the parent tells the child no, then ignores everything the child does, well it's not the child who is at fault.

1) Sword cane is a good idea. What is the legal status in WA? I have been unable to pin it down. Since I need it for stability a pointy end is not practical.
2) Has anyone else considered butyric acid as an area denial weapon? The stink is unbelievable.
3) When the bums start pitching their tents and dropping a deuce in the Normies' yards maybe the Dems won't be so popular.

Get a REAL Taser pistol, like the police carry. Knocks them down and keeps them down. Gives you time to make your exit without having to use lethal force And it hurts them when you rip the darts out ;-)

I wouldn't carry a taser. I'm not LE & do not regularly have the backup nor communications that they do. YMMV.

Pepper spray, in an off hand access, yap.

The Taser, real one not stun guns, are extremely effective BUT, they have severe limitations. They are great for LEO's as they of course have guns. The Taser is hated because so often it lets them take some scum into cuffs who they really don't want to shoot, and they don't have to pound the crap out of them. Press LOVED showing people who fought, then got all beat up. So they could blame Cops. Problems are you get one shot, unless you want to spend big money on the one that has 3 shots. They are not nearly as easy to use as OC spray. You do need to know what you are doing. If both darts do not hit home it's worthless. So on the up side they do make a civilian model now that is very small and easy to carry but, as mentioned only one shot. So if this is the choice have something else to back it up if you miss, or there are multiple people.

If the parent tells the child no, then ignores everything the child does, well it's not the child who is at fault.

My ex. When I wasn't around, the kids did as they pleased. Then they were resistant to proper discipline and to this day think I'm a bad guy. :rolleyes::mad:

Since I need it for stability a pointy end is not practical.

I use a cane sometimes, because of arthritis flare ups, and this week because of back strain. I'd like to find a cane that has a removable end cap and a blade underneath, or a nail, or even a pointy end. :)

I wouldn't carry a taser. I'm not LE & do not regularly have the backup nor communications that they do. YMMV.

Pepper spray, in an off hand access, yap.

The Taser, real one not stun guns, are extremely effective BUT, they have severe limitations. They are great for LEO's as they of course have guns. The Taser is hated because so often it lets them take some scum into cuffs who they really don't want to shoot, and they don't have to pound the crap out of them. Press LOVED showing people who fought, then got all beat up. So they could blame Cops. Problems are you get one shot, unless you want to spend big money on the one that has 3 shots. They are not nearly as easy to use as OC spray. You do need to know what you are doing. If both darts do not hit home it's worthless. So on the up side they do make a civilian model now that is very small and easy to carry but, as mentioned only one shot. So if this is the choice have something else to back it up if you miss, or there are multiple people.

Video evidence shows that LEO tasers are effective only 50% of the time. For this reason they are usually deployed only when the officer has another LEO with drawn firearm as a backup.

I'm in favor of carrying both pepper spray and a stunner. First pepper spray because distance is my friend... distance buys me time and time buys me options. Then the reason for the stunner is that I would not want to use pepper spray when in an entangled hand to hand situation. And since I'm old and no longer very capable of hand combat, a stunner could be the ticket to stop the aggressor. It might save me a day in court since if I shoot, I would have to explain why I shot say, an unarmed aggressor... due to size/force differential.

Last Edited:
I'm in favor of carrying both pepper spray and a stunner. First pepper spray because distance is my friend... distance buys me time and time buys me options. Then the reason for the stunner is that I would not want to use pepper spray when in an entangled hand to hand situation. And since I'm old and no longer very capable of hand combat, a stunner could be the ticket to stop the aggressor. It might save me a day in court since if I shoot, I would have to explain why I shot say, an unarmed aggressor... due to size/force differential.

Yep I bought one of the small Taser's after they hit. Carry it most times for just that reason, I also have a gun. If some scum decides to come at me I can "try" the Taser if I feel safe. If it does not stop things and I have to shoot? Well I can say I tried non lethal first.
When Tasers were first marketed I bought one for working for a multi millionaire doing security. I had to buy my own equipment but was well compensated. I was leery of it at first as it cost me about $700, this was a long time ago and that was a lot of money. Cartridges ran me over $30 each. I thought this could get expensive. It turned out to be the best money I ever spent. Carried it for about 8 years and never had to fire it. Cops at that time here issued a few per shift and they were getting used enough to get word. Every time I pulled that thing the fight just stopped. People who would often not stop at first when I pulled my gun suddenly would stop dead. Often getting on hands and knees, without being told, asking me to please not do that. First couple times I was so shocked I almost started laughing. Still have that old M series here, have not carried it in decade or better. I of course had baton, Sap, OC, and pistol. So I could choose when I thought one was safe for me. Local LEO's were often mad that I could carry a Sap. Theirs had been taken from them. Those were a GREAT close in weapon. Problem was too many times someone got too carried away with one and did permanent damage to some poor scum.
I still have a scar on one arm from OC. Used it on some drunk enraged nut who promptly charged me and sunk his teeth into my off side arm. A sap to the ear and he dropped like a sack of sand. :)
I am older now so have no intention of going toe to toe with one of these morons. I am not willing to get hurt because some kook wants to fight. I also do NOT want to ever again have to shoot someone if I can avoid it.

Trout fishing opened on a local lake this Saturday. Several local fishermen were there and a homeless young man, 18yo. He, and other homeless are the focus of this thread.

He was scrounging from others and soliciting from them, even being very up-front and vocal about his homelessness; he went on about being thrown out of his home because he got his girlfriend pregnant and was now living in the woods (a small park area) at the side of the fishing area boat launch...where bank anglers fish. Some folks gave him fish they caught and other supplies.

Monday he is there again working the crowd. He is taking home 10+fish.

Tuesday, I am fishing with several known fishermen and another young man walks up to the fishing bank area with a pit-bull/rottweiler mix dog...I am about 5 feet from the dog when it attempts to attack me, lunging and barking viciously at me. I back away of course and am threatened and scared. I relocate to a sitting position on a large rock and a few minutes later the guy brings the dog up close to where I am sitting and the dog attempts to attack me again...now I am scared, threaten, and pissed: I move again after yelling at the guy. About 15 minutes later he walks the dog away from the bank area. I am still visibly shaken and fish some more.

I saw the18 yo again on Wednesday and in passing I tell him about being accosted by the dog...He starts telling me that it is a public place and that the youth with the dog has a right to be there, what? Next, he tells me the dog is just looking for some love! Then, he goes on to tell me he heard someone pulled a gun on the dog, what? I tell him it wasn't me, stating it must have been someone else. Then he asks me if I carry a gun? I tell him no (of course, although I have a CPL and do carry). So, I ask him if he carries a gun and he says, no he can't, he's only 18, and that he carries a knife because "he likes to be close and personal".

He bums a smoke from a fellow fisherman and returns to his rod. Then another homeless guy shows ups and 'bums a smoke' from the fisherman that the first guy bummed a smoke from...then the guy with the dog (without the dog) shows up and I notice him and thank him for not bringing the dog and he sits with the newly arriving homeless person...it turns out they are all buddies and they go off to have breakfast together at the encampment in the woods and walk up the boat launch road and away...I had given him a fish, no more and not again.

I am concerned for my safety and corruption of our lake/fishing area.

I am 70 and a bit disabled. I put pepper spray in with my fishing gear...what a shame.

Next Steps for me???

I hate to break the news to you but many District Attorneys now have " Do Not Charge" lists.

Dallas County DA's Office Will No Longer Prosecute "Theft of Necessary Items" up to $750

Its in most "Liberal/Sanctuary" cities have the same thing. This kid is probably in the clear
short of murder.

Blessings,
Longbeard

1: Knocks them down if you get both probes to stick with a large enough muscle group in between. And, you might be held liable for the damage when they fall. Loss of teeth, header down the stairs, fall in front of a bus, etc.

2: Time to exit if you leave the probes Nd taser running....which means you give up the weapon to run away. The second its over, bad guy is 100% back in business.

3: The darts do hurt. They are also powerful up close. If you practice extensively and know the primary, secondary, and tertiary zones along with no-go zones, you'll be ok. Say a guy wants to beat you up, you deploy the taser. You hit him in the eye. Depending on the circumstances of the situation and the attack, you've now created grievous bodily harm that may be considered as excessive based in the situation. If they guy deserved a dart to the eye, he deserved to get shot.

4: A taser will get you shot. Especially if the other guy knows anything. A taser works by achiving Neuromuscular Incapacitation. If you're incapacitated, you are in great peril. If I see taser or even OC come out, I'm responding with a gun.

Moral of the story, carry a gun. Avoid all of the circumstances someone might use a taser because they think its not as bad as a gun. Save it for when you are in real danger, then shoot the SOB.

Trout fishing opened on a local lake this Saturday. Several local fishermen were there and a homeless young man, 18yo. He, and other homeless are the focus of this thread.

He was scrounging from others and soliciting from them, even being very up-front and vocal about his homelessness; he went on about being thrown out of his home because he got his girlfriend pregnant and was now living in the woods (a small park area) at the side of the fishing area boat launch...where bank anglers fish. Some folks gave him fish they caught and other supplies.

Monday he is there again working the crowd. He is taking home 10+fish.

Tuesday, I am fishing with several known fishermen and another young man walks up to the fishing bank area with a pit-bull/rottweiler mix dog...I am about 5 feet from the dog when it attempts to attack me, lunging and barking viciously at me. I back away of course and am threatened and scared. I relocate to a sitting position on a large rock and a few minutes later the guy brings the dog up close to where I am sitting and the dog attempts to attack me again...now I am scared, threaten, and pissed: I move again after yelling at the guy. About 15 minutes later he walks the dog away from the bank area. I am still visibly shaken and fish some more.

I saw the18 yo again on Wednesday and in passing I tell him about being accosted by the dog...He starts telling me that it is a public place and that the youth with the dog has a right to be there, what? Next, he tells me the dog is just looking for some love! Then, he goes on to tell me he heard someone pulled a gun on the dog, what? I tell him it wasn't me, stating it must have been someone else. Then he asks me if I carry a gun? I tell him no (of course, although I have a CPL and do carry). So, I ask him if he carries a gun and he says, no he can't, he's only 18, and that he carries a knife because "he likes to be close and personal".

He bums a smoke from a fellow fisherman and returns to his rod. Then another homeless guy shows ups and 'bums a smoke' from the fisherman that the first guy bummed a smoke from...then the guy with the dog (without the dog) shows up and I notice him and thank him for not bringing the dog and he sits with the newly arriving homeless person...it turns out they are all buddies and they go off to have breakfast together at the encampment in the woods and walk up the boat launch road and away...I had given him a fish, no more and not again.

I am concerned for my safety and corruption of our lake/fishing area.

I am 70 and a bit disabled. I put pepper spray in with my fishing gear...what a shame.

Next Steps for me???

PM me where this is. If its not my area, Ill find out whose it is and would be happy to come down and run names for warrants.

It is also unlawful to disturb or disrupt people in the act of hunting or fishing. Its all how you articulate it.

Regardless of how they got their fish, there is a daily possession limit and if they don't have a license or affidavit explaining the gift of the fish, they could be found to be unlawfully possessing a game fish.

Last Edited:
PM me where this is. If its not my area, Ill find out whose it is and would be happy to come down and run names for warrants.

It is also unlawful to disturb or disrupt people in the act of hunting or fishing. Its all how you articulate it.

Regardless of how they got their fish, there is a daily possession limit and if they don't have a license or affidavit explaining the gift of the fish, they could be found to be unlawfully possessing a game fish.

Good point about disturbing while hunting or fishing!

Side note, few years ago, ran into a gang of tangos while steelhead fishing, they were upset we might be trolling around in their patch of mushrooms, (this is an Island on the Columbia, not private property!) They were armed with pellet rifles and one of them took a shot at my boat! I called the Sheriff and reported it! About an hour later both the Sheriff and the Coast Guard showed up and arrested them all!
Apparently there are some serious gangs gathering mushrooms and going after people who might also be looking for them!

Good point about disturbing while hunting or fishing!

Side note, few years ago, ran into a gang of tangos while steelhead fishing, they were upset we might be trolling around in their patch of mushrooms, (this is an Island on the Columbia, not private property!) They were armed with pellet rifles and one of them took a shot at my boat! I called the Sheriff and reported it! About an hour later both the Sheriff and the Coast Guard showed up and arrested them all!
Apparently there are some serious gangs gathering mushrooms and going after people who might also be looking for them!

Reminded me of a rather humorous story from when one of my kids was still in HS. Local park with a lake, runners would use a path around it. One day some guy who worked for the city or county prosecutors office is jogging. See's a group of older teens searching he said for (Magic) psilocybin mushrooms. He yells at kids that it's part of his job to put people in jail for what they are doing. So group shows him how much they appreciate the heads up by beating him up.
I told my Wife when I read it, well maybe he will either jog armed, or keep it to himself who he works for from now on.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top