JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Reactions
Wendy Davis Distracts from Bio Scandal with New 'Pro-Gun' Stance

by Frances Martel 27 Jan 2014

Last week, the Wendy Davis campaign surprised Texas with an abrupt pivot in conversation. Under a firestorm of criticism for the many falsehoods touted in her biography, a candidate known only for amorphous "feminism" and support of abortion started talking about guns.

Now, in the middle of the scandal, Davis suddenly decided she supports gun rights.

Davis and her campaign told the Associated Press last week that Davis expects to campaign to "expand where people may carry handguns." While much of the AP's conversation with her involved discussing why she will not talk about details of her personal life now that she has made it the centerpiece of her campaign, she did shoehorn in chatter about her plans to help gun owners.

Davis told the AP that she owns a handgun for protection (though did not specify whether she hunts or shoots recreationally). She claimed that she "supports legislation that allows workers to keep guns in their vehicles at work." She seemed confident that she had a good track record with gun rights supporters, telling the news network, "I think I have been pretty strong in supporting the expansion of the rights of gun ownership."

This might come as a surprise to those who know Davis as a one-trick pony on abortion, which she has tied to feminism and made a platform out of. After all, gun rights are not mentioned anywhere on the "Issues" portion of her website, and she herself has said little about guns until today. Perhaps this is because before she suddenly did an about-face on the matter so strong as to want to pass legislation that lets Texans leave guns in their cars at work, she was one of the NRA's worst enemies in the Texas Senate.

The NRA gave Davis an F rating on gun rights for her tenure in the Texas Senate due to her voting history against laws expanding the freedom of Americans to carry guns. Specifically, Davis voted against and blocked a bill that sounds oddly familiar to the one she is proposing today. "Anti-gun" Davis, according to the NRA, "blocked NRA-backed legislation allowing adult Concealed Handgun Licensees to carry firearms for self-defense on college and university campuses from coming up for a final vote during the regular session that ended Memorial Day weekend."

Davis has also half-heartedly advocated for background checks at gun shows. While telling the Texas Tribune that she believed the background checks were "the right thing," she admitted she had not worked on the issue because she did not see it as politically expedient: "I haven’t pursued it as a senator because I know it’s like spitting in the wind."

A former Republican who donated to Republican candidates and voted in primaries as recently as 2006, Davis was initially looked askance at by Texas Democrats, who seemed to view her with suspicion. She took that as a "compliment," because it showed people understood she "wasn't driven by" ideology.

Republican opponent Greg Abbott, who has a strong record of supporting gun rights, initially highlighted Davis's unpopular stance on guns in Texas, perhaps triggering this reaction from the Davis campaign.

NO NO please don't tell me its true a Pond Scum Politician that lies to get into power or to increase their power. I just refuse to believe it.

Awww, Abortion Barbie is trying to rehabilitate her image among single issue voters? It's not going to work for the gold-digger. Her past votes have consequences.

GOP?s new spin on Wendy Davis doesn?t match the facts | Dallas Morning News

According to this local Texas news, Wendy Davis has a pretty good record of voting for gun rights, and the dirt being thrown at her is just the usual political BS.

"But the issue is whether Davis has all of a sudden swung to this pro-gun position now that she's taking heat from Slater's story. The fact is, she has consistently voted for gun rights and conceal-carry rights, especially when it involves having a gun in your personal car. Check out her record on Votesmart.org. The only major piece of gun legislation she has voted against since 2011 was a measure that allowed concealed handguns on campus. Davis (correctly) voted against it. It passed anyway. She (correctly) voted to allow a public school marshal's system that would secretly designate a teacher or administrator to keep a locked firearm on standby for use in a life-threatening situation."

I don't want concealed handguns on campus, the combination of sex, booze, drugs and higher learning gives our young people plenty of rope to hang themselves without additions. In addition, what sort of hard tests do you suspect a calc prof is going to give a class of hungover, ramen crazed, spoiled rotten, armed children?

Texas will eat her alive in the election. She can say or lie all she wants Texas won't buy into the progressive bait and switch like the rest of the countries low info voters if you like your doctor you can keep it PERIOD. :s0112::s0114::s0112:

According to this local Texas news, Wendy Davis has a pretty good record of voting for gun rights, and the dirt being thrown at her is just the usual political BS.

"But the issue is whether Davis has all of a sudden swung to this pro-gun position now that she's taking heat from Slater's story. The fact is, she has consistently voted for gun rights and conceal-carry rights, especially when it involves having a gun in your personal car. Check out her record on Votesmart.org. The only major piece of gun legislation she has voted against since 2011 was a measure that allowed concealed handguns on campus. Davis (correctly) voted against it. It passed anyway. She (correctly) voted to allow a public school marshal's system that would secretly designate a teacher or administrator to keep a locked firearm on standby for use in a life-threatening situation."

I don't want concealed handguns on campus, the combination of sex, booze, drugs and higher learning gives our young people plenty of rope to hang themselves without additions. In addition, what sort of hard tests do you suspect a calc prof is going to give a class of hungover, ramen crazed, spoiled rotten, armed children?

Yeah, that's why this liar has an "F" rating with the NRA?

I am glad she's against the grain and pro-gun while still being liberal on other issues. She seems to think about each topic uniquely instead of just stepping in line with party politics. I disagree with her and you about concealed carrying on campuses. Gun free zones are targets and unsafe. You must be 21 to legally conceal (if memory serves) which excludes many students that live on campus. Most students do not live on campus as upperclassmen.

Texas will eat her alive in the election. She can say or lie all she wants Texas won't buy into the progressive bait and switch like the rest of the countries low info voters if you like your doctor you can keep it PERIOD. :s0112::s0114::s0112:

Texas is overflowing with invaders from south of the border as well as California.
Even if it weren't, let's not forget that Texas gave us LBJ and GWB - until Obama these were the 2 worst presidents since WW2

Texas is overflowing with invaders from south of the border as well as California.
Even if it weren't, let's not forget that Texas gave us LBJ and GWB - until Obama these were the 2 worst presidents since WW2
You left out the absolute worst other than obama... Jimi,,,, Jimi Carter.

These stupid college students are smarter than the majority of kids who enlist in the military because they haven't done what it takes to get into college. But then they mindlessly follow orders and feel they have done well.

Ok, so just let me figure this one out.....

Wendy Davis, the same individual that feels partial birth and late term abortions, the murder of children, is fine....but she claims to be pro gun to protect yourself?

Too bad the innocent kids she helped murder can't have the same protections....

Regardless if you are pro-life or choice, the irony is deafening...

These stupid college students are smarter than the majority of kids who enlist in the military because they haven't done what it takes to get into college. But then they mindlessly follow orders and feel they have done well.

I suspect I'd be a lot happier if I could have mindlessly followed orders!

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads