JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Gov. Browns bill HB 2251 is going to give a legal definition to the term "assault rifle". I believe this is intended to aid other legislation which will target these newly defined firearms. I also believe that the following three sections are going to allow the newly defined definition to apply to manual loading firearms that share the listed platforms and or resemble any of the listed platforms.

The key sections I am referring to are:

(3)(a) "Assault rifle" means:
(A) A selective-fire rifle capable of fully automatic, semiautomatic or burst fire at the
option of the user, or any of the following: (it goes on to list many different platforms including AR15, AK47, etc)

(C) A copy or duplicate of a firearm described in paragraph (a)(A) or (B) of this sub-
section with the same capability as the copied or duplicated firearm;

(G) A part or combination of parts designed or intended to convert a rifle into an assault
rifle as described in paragraphs (a)(D) to (F) of this subsection, or that can be assembled into
an assault rifle as described in paragraphs (a)(D) to (F) of this subsection

I would like to be wrong about my beliefs here but it seems pretty clear they are trying to cover all the bases with this language. This bill will be used to assist others with legislation imposing more restrictions on "assault weapons".

Playing to the child protesters and the PTA, instead of actually doing something to secure the schools from nut jobs and contraband.

I have been asking everyone this question: if you have to choose between having tough, rigorous, school security, or banning "assault rifles", which would make you feel better about your children's safety? Every anti I've asked say if they had to choose, they would prefer tougher security at the schools.

Gov. Browns bill HB 2251 is going to give a legal definition to the term "assault rifle". I believe this is intended to aid other legislation which will target these newly defined firearms. I also believe that the following three sections are going to allow the newly defined definition to apply to manual loading firearms that share the listed platforms and or resemble any of the listed platforms.

(A) A selective-fire rifle capable of fully automatic, semiautomatic or burst fire at the
option of the user, or any of the following: (it goes on to list many different platforms including AR15, AK47, etc)

(C) A copy or duplicate of a firearm described in paragraph (a)(A) or (B) of this sub-

(G) A part or combination of parts designed or intended to convert a rifle into an assault
rifle as described in paragraphs (a)(D) to (F) of this subsection, or that can be assembled into

I would like to be wrong about my beliefs here but it seems pretty clear they are trying to cover all the bases with this language. This bill will be used to assist others with legislation imposing more restrictions on "assault weapons".
I hope all of you own a bunch of these manual loading ARs and will come up with supportive arguments as to why this bill should not voted in to law.

Section (G) will snare just about every AR fan who has extra parts lying around.
Playing to the child protesters and the PTA, instead of actually doing something to secure the schools from nut jobs and contraband.

I have been asking everyone this question: if you have to choose between having tough, rigorous, school security, or banning "assault rifles", which would make you feel better about your children's safety? Every anti I've asked say if they had to choose, they would prefer tougher security at the schools.
Don't worry, they'll work on real school security once the weapons are taking care of. Their plans will cost a bunch of money though so be prepared for tax increases and probably loss of additional rights to your privacy.

So given the "selective-fire" part of that definition, if I remove the safety switch my AR no longer meets the definition as I can not "select" anything. I don't believe there is any law requiring a safety on a rifle.

#Revolution2.0

I posted in another thread, we gun owners and shooting enthusiasts have no choice but to sacrifice and show up en masse when these bills are being heard.

If several hundred of us show up and make our voices heard loud and clear, it's going to be more difficult for them to make progress...

But, alas, this is Oregon, so that's only in my dreams...

So given the "selective-fire" part of that definition, if I remove the safety switch my AR no longer meets the definition as I can not "select" anything. I don't believe there is any law requiring a safety on a rifle.
IMHO none of those details will matter. They have wrote this bill to cover every potential resemblance of the AR15 and most other popular semi-auto platforms. If they had intended to allow manual loading versions of these firearms, they could have included an exemption in the language. Instead they left the language full of vagueness so that it could cover almost any firearm that for instance looks like an AR15. Attorney General Maura Healey has pulled a similar stunt in MA.

Assuming SB 2251 passes as written it will take a court case involving somebody who was busted for an offense that relied on this new definition of assault weapon to provide us with a more clarity. For example lets say a shop starts selling manual loading ARs to 18 year olds and the State swoops in and shuts down the shop. That could set the stage for a case where the court/jury would have to decide if the manual loading firearms were in fact included under the SB 2251 law.

Another example could arise if an "assault weapons" ban is voted in to law that requires registration of "assault weapons". John Smith might feel that if he converts his firearms to manual loaders that he can avoid registering them. If John Smith converts his AR15 collection to manual loading firearms by removing gas block and tube but hangs on to the parts he could be in a world of hurt if he was ever caught with the firearms and parts together.

It is difficult to ascertain what all this law will cover. I think that was done on purpose.
Good luck finding a shop that will sell manual loading AR style rifles to the 18-20 crowd if this passes.

That, or maybe a clever lawyer would challenge them to show that "any of the following" would enable a firearm to be "select fire rifle capable of fully automatic, semiautomatic or burst fire". Don't have time to look at the bill, but wouldn't that exempt pistols and shotguns?

That, or maybe a clever lawyer would challenge them to show that "any of the following" would enable a firearm to be "select fire rifle capable of fully automatic, semiautomatic or burst fire". Don't have time to look at the bill, but wouldn't that exempt pistols and shotguns?
Funny you should mention that, handguns and shotguns are not clearly addressed in the sections I referenced. LEVO will surely address them in their legislation.

I read the list and even the lowly HiPoint carbine is classified as an "assault weapon". The message here is that if it does not look as if it was designed in the 19th century, it is evil.

Where did you find this "list"? I have been searching everywhere for it. Or is it just the features in general?

Apparently there was an attempt to recall Kate Brown in 2017 but it looks like the Secretary of State held on to the names until the day after the deadline so it failed. The fact that it sounds very illegal, if no one will prosecute , no law has been broken. As Hillary.

That said, I don't remember that attempt. But now with these ever increasing law breaking policies, these leftist fail to comprehend the power they are handing over to the state.

Once the gun laws are in place, the tax on illegal legal pot goes up 4x, parental rights become more restrictive and say the gas tax climbs. All because we gave the government the authority to relable and control what ever they previously could not.

Apparently there was an attempt to recall Kate Brown in 2017 but it looks like the Secretary of State held on to the names until the day after the deadline so it failed. The fact that it sounds very illegal, if no one will prosecute , no law has been broken. As Hillary.

That said, I don't remember that attempt. But now with these ever increasing law breaking policies, these leftist fail to comprehend the power they are handing over to the state.

Once the gun laws are in place, the tax on illegal legal pot goes up 4x, parental rights become more restrictive and say the gas tax climbs. All because we gave the government the authority to relable and control what ever they previously could not.
I signed that petition and my LGS was collecting signatures. They obviously didn't get enough. They didn't get enough to cast out Sen Prozanski either. Recalls are tough sells unless the candidate had offended both major parties.

The only selecting of fire an AR15 has is between SAFE (can't fire) and SEMI-AUTO (one round fired per trigger press). It in fact lacks that which would make it an assault rifle (not "assault weapon")

I signed that petition and my LGS was collecting signatures. They obviously didn't get enough. They didn't get enough to cast out Sen Prozanski either. Recalls are tough sells unless the candidate had offended both major parties.

The Prozanski one was... interesting. The recall didn't go thru because the statistical sampling (behind closed doors) was "oh so close, but barely didn't make it".

Anyone thinking of doing a recall should talk to the people who lead the Prozanski and Reily recall efforts before rushing into it. Some upfront planning and organization (in hind sight) would have gone really far in being more effective, avoiding traps/delays caused by the opposition, and probably would have at least put Prozanski on the ballot for recall. Learn from our past mistakes, or be doomed to repeat them.

Closing the loopholes before the restrictions . Aka the lack of honesty loophole

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top