JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So then why does everyone celebrate it? Has nothing to do with the USA.

Sure it does. In the same way as Mardi Gras, St. Patrick's day and several others. Our country is made up of people from every culture and ethnic group. To claim it has nothing to do with the USA is borderline racist in my opinion. :rolleyes:

It's a misconception in the US that Cinco de Mayo is Mexico's Independence Day. That is in September, and that is a big deal in Mexico, whereas Cinco de Mayo is more of a US / Mexican heritage creation.

By the way, the French regrouped and did fight on to conquer Mexico City. Napoleon III installed Maximilian as emperor - the only time there was a European emperor in residence in the Americas. Maximilian lavishly redesigned Chapultepec Castle in Mexico City, and it's a really interesting site to visit if you're ever in Mexico City. It's also the site of the last major battle as the US occupied Mexico City in 1847 (and what is referenced in the USMC hymn - From the Halls of Montezuma...").

Sure it does. In the same way as Mardi Gras, St. Patrick's day and several others. Our country is made up of people from every culture and ethnic group. To claim it has nothing to do with the USA is borderline racist in my opinion. :rolleyes:

It's racist to think another country's victory in a battle with another country has nothing to do with this country (which is neither of those two)?

Since we're giving opinions, I think that's ridiculous.

But I do like tacos.

Cinco de drinko, where I'm from.

:s0090:

Can confirm. In my best "Cliff Claven" impersonation, ^^^^ Cinco de Drinko is the correct pronunciation of the holiday. Said the guy from the border town of San Diego that has spent MANY a druken Cinco de Drinko's on the other side of the border, so clearly he knows what he's talking about.

Officially, however, the Mexicans pretty much just call it "Tuesday." It's isn't really a big deal down there. Except it's starting to be celebrated more. I think the Mexicans figured if you can't beat um, join um. :)

Cheers!

It's racist to think another country's victory in a battle with another country has nothing to do with this country (which is neither of those two)?

Since we're giving opinions, I think that's ridiculous.

But I do like tacos.

Nah. I meant a blanket statement asking why its celebrated here because it has nothing to do with this country is, at least in my opinion. And I did say borderline.

People celebrate LOTS of things and holidays that technically have little or nothing to do with the United States or its history. Why is Cinco de Mayo any different?

Tacos kick arse.

Nah. I meant a blanket statement asking why its celebrated here because it has nothing to do with this country is, at least in my opinion. And I did say borderline.

People celebrate LOTS of things and holidays that technically have little or nothing to do with the United States or its history. Why is Cinco de Mayo any different?

Tacos kick arse.
I did a semester in Rome while in college. Seemed like we had at least one 3-Day weekend off per month due to some holiday.

This country could definitely use more holidays. Next year, let's demand Cinco de Mayo be a fully recognized holiday - with the afternoon off, and the following day as well, for...reasons.

I did a semester in Rome while in college. Seemed like we had at least one 3-Day weekend off per month due to some holiday.

This country could definitely use more holidays. Next year, let's demand Cinco de Mayo be a fully recognized holiday - with the afternoon off, and the following day as well, for...reasons.

Just anoint the Hallmark Holidays as official non-working holidays.

Think about it:

Valentines Day off: Chicks with no boyfriends get to stay at home and not see the chicks with boyfriends get flowers at work. Win!

Mother's Day and Father's Day: This would be at least a little meaningful for most. Fathers Day would give June a holiday.

Halloween: Get the day off on the best day to hunt blacktails all season!

I will always celebrate independence and victories against tyranical invaders.
So then why does everyone celebrate it? Has nothing to do with the USA.

'merica!
:s0151::s0160:

Kind of makes me want to get a Lefaucheux pistol... or at least get some ammo loaded for the Adams.

I didn't really mean to stir the pot. I just didn't see a reason to celebrate even after I looked it up to see what it was all about. I grew up in the Midwest. We never celebrated Cinco de Mayo. But then we never needed a reason to drink either. :s0059:

I didn't really mean to stir the pot. I just didn't see a reason to celebrate even after I looked it up to see what it was all about. I grew up in the Midwest. We never celebrated Cinco de Mayo. But then we never needed a reason to drink either. :s0059:
"A man has to believe in something. I believe I'll have another drink."
-W. C. Fields

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews