JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Many people celebrate many holidays all around this country. Some holidays get celebrated more in some parts of the country than in other parts of the country.

End of wars, battle dates - historical dates in our own history especially on the East Coast, religious, folk stories, harvest time, the founding date of a village, city or state, Volunteer FD/EMT hall dates, you name it including our own Independence Day aka the 4th of July to some people.

I do NOT think that the one poster implied any type of racism when he mentioned the holiday or why it was celebrated here with his question or post.

There are many parts of the country that do not celebrate this holiday and many people never even HEARD that some people in this country celebrated it too.

I don't care if people celebrate it or not and for that matter any other specific holiday due to their religion, heritage, nationality, battle dates, etc.

I have heard of All Souls Day (Religious holiday in several Christian religions not just in the RC one.) but I never heard of people calling it the DAY OF THE DEAD or people literally walking around like VAMPIRES, witches, etc. like a Halloween get up as I saw on the news and on some streets in THIS college town. Yes, I am aware of the Halloween holiday (NON religious.) and it's connection to the original All Souls Day.

The churches do one thing but the things that I saw celebrated in this town and with the drunks getting drunker really had NOTHING to do with the original idea or thought of ASD.

So because I never heard of it (DAY OF THE DEAD.) EVER called that on the East Coast or in the Great Lakes region or celebrated in such a strange 'manner' which was not exactly 'holy' did not make me a bigot.

I asked my husband who was born and raised in MT and was from a family (Several generations.) who settled here IF he ever heard of it growing up here in THIS college town, right up below British Columbia, CA (NW MT border.) - homesteaders, and also lived right off the Rez when he was a KID for several years while his late Dad taught on the Rez up on the High Line or HI LINE. He went to school on the Rez too. He said that IT was never celebrated here when he was growing up or as a young man. They DID celebrate many other holidays due to various immigrants (Irish, Chinese, English, various European nationalities, etc.) AND several American Indian traditions too. I asked him that question when I first heard of it (Day of the Dead.) out here too.

Right now, if you call Columbus Day 'CD' here - you get the evil eye and comments made to you too. The NAME of it has been changed here too.

So far, you can call Saint Patrick's Day the same name without getting an evil eye or comments made to you too.

The October festivals get called all kinds of names on the East Coast, in farm/lake country - Great Lakes region and out here too.

Etc.

Happy whatever day - fill in the holiday - and have a nice celebration!

Old Lady Cate who has many nationalities in her background and calls herself an All American Mutt sometimes too.

It's racist to think another country's victory in a battle with another country has nothing to do with this country (which is neither of those two)?

Since we're giving opinions, I think that's ridiculous.

But I do like tacos.

This and thank you.

Cate

"So then why does everyone celebrate it? Has nothing to do with the USA."

Being loosely equivalent to 04/19/1775 (Concord/Lexington - Continental Militia hands the Lobsterbacks an azz-kicking) and 06/17/1775 (Battle of Bunker Hill - Continental Militia hands the Brits a Pyrrhic victory with massive casualties) it is worth celebrating as a victory for the side of Freedom, won by force of arms in the hands of THE PEOPLE.
Viven los Insurgentos!
Up the Rebels!
Liberty or death!

"So then why does everyone celebrate it? Has nothing to do with the USA."

Being loosely equivalent to 04/19/1775 (Concord/Lexington - Continental Militia hands the Lobsterbacks an azz-kicking) and 06/17/1775 (Battle of Bunker Hill - Continental Militia hands the Brits a Pyrrhic victory with massive casualties) it is worth celebrating as a victory for the side of Freedom, won by force of arms in the hands of THE PEOPLE.
Viven los Insurgentos!
Up the Rebels!
Liberty or death!

It's celebrated because people want an excuse to eat and drink. Just like Labor day and unfortunately Memorial day.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top