Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

The Gun That Aims Itself

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by DeadEyeMcGoo, Sep 24, 2013.

1. DeadEyeMcGoo

DeadEyeMcGoo Seattle Active Member

Here's a real game changer for accuracy. This is technology that we've dreamed of for years but I'm surprised to find it ready for commercial deployment. Anyone up for a 1000 yard shot with NO previous training required?

The Gun That Aims Itself (Documentary)
    The Gun That Aims Itself (Documentary) - YouTube

2. Morpheus

Morpheus Columbia Gorge Anyway, back on the farm.

Huh, so 'no training' yet they drop a bit of cash on their crash course learning how to shoot. Hmm... How is that no training?

I will say it does appear to make things darn easy though. :)

3. Kevinkris

Kevinkris Aloha Well-Known Member

thats kinda cool but if you want one youll need to buy them as soon as they hit the market. i dont see the antis letting this one stay out for long.

4. Morpheus

Morpheus Columbia Gorge Anyway, back on the farm.

Well, you could always figure out the software yourself and DIY it. I'm sure that will be coming soon...

5. chase

chase Wilsonville, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Reported the Tracking Point scope will be 15-20k. While Im at it let me run out and get a Flir thermal scope too. Neat prototype though.

6. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

So you've gotta shoot something twice to hit it once?. "tag" it and then send it?
    Hmm. I can see how having the laser/sight compensate/adjust for range/drop would be valuable though.

7. Swedish K

Swedish K SW Washington Moderator Staff Member

This is another step beyond the theoretical optic in I Sniper - a Stephen Hunter book. In his book the optic would account for range, wind, atmospheric conditions, and vertical angle to target and move the digital crosshair to the correct point of aim. With his theoretical system you still had to have proper trigger control and shooting skills. With this system it appears that you tag the target with a laser, pull the trigger, and the gun will fire when the trigger is depressed and the reticle is walked back onto the tag point - way less actual skill needed, though, as they show in the video when they shot the pig the system isn't perfect.

8. Sabertooth

Sabertooth Josephine County Active Member

And it will only set you back $26,000.