JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So, for reasons unknown, I'm getting the urge to do another purge of the collection. (Maybe it is a relocation soon or that we're looking at a PS90 for the sidekick or I'm just bored / wacky). There are a handful I'm looking long and hard at selling in the coming days.

Which brings up the question: what firearms did you sell off but later really regretted and why?

Cheers.

Wish I could help, I went the other way and sold all the guns that I didn't use, enjoy shooting or had doubles and upgraded To guns I do shoot and enjoy owning. I wish you well in your quest.

Wish I could help, I went the other way and sold all the guns that I didn't use, enjoy shooting or had doubles and upgraded To guns I do shoot and enjoy owning. I wish you well in your quest.

Kind what I've been doing over the years. Though I go through "the interests", thoroughly explore a niche, then tire of said, and rinse and repeat. That isn't just the case with firearms, but other matters, however, I digress. :s0112:

I have no regrets and ive sold many excellent rifles. Generally they are better than off the shelf after i fine tune them. I just think of it as they are going to a good home. Also, the way i see it, if i sold it, there must have been a good reason.

Oh boy, you can really get me started on this one. In "My way," Frank Sinatra says, "Regrets, I've had a few, but then again, too few to mention." That doesn't do it for me. As to life in general, as well as guns, I've had many regrets. But the key is learning to live with them and I have.

Some of the guns I sold and regretted I've made good on and repurchased a second (or even third) time around. Usually at a steep premium. However, this idea is closely related to why I let them go in the first place. In times gone by, my funds were more limited. Now that I'm getting closer to the end of my string, that isn't the case. So it doesn't bother me much to pay plenty to re-purchase what I want.

Some that I've let go, regretted, and then re-acquired:

Smith & Wesson Model 16-4 w/ 4 in bbl.
Smith & Wesson Model 25-5 w/ 4 in bbl.
Smith & Wesson Model 610 w/ 4 in bbl.
Remington 760 in .35 Rem.

My collecting goes back a long way, to the middle 1960's. I used to have maybe 35 or so German small arms from WW2, purchased when they were abundant and reasonably priced. I could regret having sold any one of these but when I got married about ten years later, I needed money to furnish our home. The guns were my source of saved money and I let them go, priorities being what they were. In the sense that the money from the guns enhanced a more basic theme in my life, I have no regrets for letting them go. In a good cause, you might say. But along the way to having all those many nice German guns, mostly pistols, often I had to sell one to get one, funds weren't easily gotten for this purpose. So many guns I let go in order to get another one that was deemed to be more desirable.

I still have a few articles of furniture and household goods that we bought with the "gun money" early in our marriage. Every once in a while, I pass one in the house and think about how it was acquired. One of my steel roll-away tool boxes used to have a sticker on it that said, "Smith & Wesson .41 Magnum" because I'd sold such a revolver in order to buy it.

I have a few guns that I've kept since Day One. After my kids were fairly far along, I started regular buying again. With many adjustments along the way due to variations in interest.

One specific type of revolver that I've owned several times and sold, for one reason or another. A Colt Army Special or Official Police or a Smith & Wesson Hand Ejector or M&P in .32-20. I've owned each of these two designs more than once, don't have one now and would like to again if the right one were to come along.

How about this for a follow-up thread, "The guns (dogs) I've sold, was glad to get rid of, and never want to see them again." I've got a long list of those.

Sold hundreds over the last 21 years since I bought my first. I can count the regrets on a few hands.
There's always something else I want/need that will force me to make decisions. Otherwise, I wouldn't sell any more guns. Most of what I have now has meaning or I am really happy with it. That can and has changed, but so have I. I know longer have the desire to sell and trade, just to acquire.

Always regrets. If you like fine guns then there are guns you'll never be able to replace, such as a Browning BLR Kones Korner 25-06. No, another will not come along. Family guns, irreplaceable. Only sell coomon guns, or when you have the chance to higrade.

Last Edited:
Wow, it's gonna be a list, I need an azz kicking machine for letting these slip through my fingers.

S&W K-22 - 6" barrel, target grips, trigger and hammer - it was a tack driver

S&W model 28 - 6" barrel, had an action job, smooth as glass - capable of one holing the target

Browning Hi Power - Belgium made and assembled, beautiful blueing, fit like a glove, darn accurate too

Beretta nickel 84fs - it was a early 80's vintage - beautiful craftsmanship with the polished finish (just replaced last week)

S&W 745 - IDPA 10th anniversary model - unique with a carbon blue slide and stainless frame with gold IDPA markings

Star Firestar .40 S&W - Starvel finish, great fun with lots of heft, if I ran out of ammo I could bludgeon them with it

Colt Series 70 Officers Model - great typical Colt Royal blueing, complimented the Government model I had, didn't appreciate the value of it at the time

Astra Constable II - single stack, fixed barrel .380 was a direct knockoff of the

Walther PPK. That was a nice carry gun, discreet when dressed up a bit.

Colt Mustang Pocket Lite - this was a great pocket sized .380 with plenty of accuracy, just a neat little gun (recently replaced with a Springfield 911 Alpha)

There's a couple of o/u shotguns in there too, most notable a Franchi, don't recall the model, but she sure was purdy, setup for sporting clays...

Last Edited:
I usually only regret not buying one vs selling one and regretting it.

Cabellas had a H&R single shot in 223 the other day. It haunts me that I didn't take it home.

The only gun I regret selling: a 1938 Tula/Mosin Nagant 91/30. It was absolutely cherry, all matching #'s with dozens of clearly legible proof marks, including on the stock. The roll marks were dead-center. No machine tool marks anywhere on the receiver. Gorgeous red and black coloring. I hand picked it for $80, and then I sold it for $100. No good reason why either, the $100 was probably blown on something stupid. I just got panicky one day and sold it, like an idiot. Lesson learned.

I regret selling my Ruger Single Six sometimes. The rest of them good riddance, may they bring someone else joy.

The one() I regret selling: My first child... I regret it was necessary, and her momma sure did miss her! But a few good smacks would get Momma thinkin right agin! I don miss dat beotch tho!!!

AES-10b
SA M1A
Century C93
Zastava M70ab2

Terrible decisions on my part.. as a collector I lust after things I dont have. Those four still sting..
Thought Id be fine letting a few of those go.. but I should have held onto them.

All the rest that Ive sold didn't matter though.

AES-10b
SA M1A
Century C93
Zastava M70ab2

Terrible decisions on my part.. as a collector I lust after things I dont have. Those four still sting..
Thought Id be fine letting a few of those go.. but I should have held onto them.

All the rest that Ive sold didn't matter though.

Those Century C93's are going for $1000 online now.. Really wish I would've bought one when they were $500-$600. No chance now.

I had to sell most everything I had except for inherited guns when putting my wife thru school.

I have since made some recovery but I'll get a second job before I sell another gun ever.

Those Century C93's are going for $1000 online now.. Really wish I would've bought one when they were $500-$600. No chance now.
Exactly.. and to add lemon to the wound, a company came out that does AR mag conversions on the rifle.. the only reason I sold it off was the impractical magazine cost (for surplus) and I had little luck with the promags.

Really sucks as it was just an aesthetically cool rifle, one worth having around. So long as I used the surplus mag, it ran perfectly with all types of ammo. But $70 per mag.. I just talked myself out of the rifle over time. :(

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top