JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The one that comes to mind is my Ruger Gunsite Scout .308. It was a thing of beauty, I could hit everything I aimed it at, and just felt great in hand. Got it for a good price, let it got at a profit, then realized, at the price I sold it for, I could never replace it for that kind of money. Still trying to get another, but the prices are astronomical now.

A mint Savage 99 in .308 that I bought for $150 in 98 and sold for not much more, a beat up Norinco sks that was probably my favorite to shoot and topping the list, no joke, was a Taurus .357 with a 6" barrel. That was the first and most accurate revolver I've ever owned.

Cabellas had a H&R single shot in 223 the other day. It haunts me that I didn't take it home.

Among my battery of .223 rifles, I've got one of those. It shoots well. My H&R has the fat barrel, looks like a scaled down naval gun. I had two (I bought them as a pair, no good reason) with the slim barrel (stepped down just ahead of the chamber), neither of those would shoot well so they didn't stick around for long.

I like having a single shot rifle; those will be the last guns we will be asked to give up. I also have an NEF single shot 28 gauge shotgun, those are pretty bullet proof.

A mint Savage 99 in .308 that I bought for $150 in 98 and sold for not much more, a beat up Norinco sks that was probably my favorite to shoot and topping the list, no joke, was a Taurus .357 with a 6" barrel. That was the first and most accurate revolver I've ever owned.

A Savage 99 in .308 was my first deer rifle, purchased when I was 13 (that would have been 1963) with money I made selling packets of seeds door to door. I kept it in mint condition. Traded it for a bicycle in college. Should have sold more seeds and kept the rifle!

When my wife's Grandfather died we were cataloging all the items in the estate and found a NIB Whitney Wolverine as well as a NIB Remington Nylon 66 under his bed. Neither appeared to have ever been fired. We ended up selling the two guns to settle part the estate's debt, but nowadays I really wish I had just sold some of my own stuff to cover said debt and kept those two guns.

In my early career in law enforcement I carried a Colt Python as a duty weapon. When we got the OK to go to semi-autos I could not afford to keep the Python and buy a Glock so I had to sell it. That is the only gun I regret selling.

In my early career in law enforcement I carried a Colt Python as a duty weapon. When we got the OK to go to semi-autos I could not afford to keep the Python and buy a Glock so I had to sell it. That is the only gun I regret selling.
Did your dept not provide you a weapon? I'd still be mourning the loss of the Colt too.

That particular revolver is one of my bucket-list guns. I'm shedding a tear for your loss friend.

This one and I was lucky enough to buy it back a couple of years later. Whew! My grandson will get it next.
RUGER.jpg
Then there was this S&W 686+... I bought a CBOB in 10mm to match my 45. Thought it would be cat's meow. Needed to sell the 686 to cover the funds I "borrowed". Stupid mistake. Sold the 10mm shortly after. Shoulda never, ever let got of the 686+.
P1010003.JPG
And then there's the 649 in 357 that I let go, but at the time I was needing to raise cash. That little sucker hurt with full bore 158gr loads, but it was perfect for a small carry gun. I tried to track it down a few years later to no avail. It was gone.:(

Sell? Who me? Nah, I kep't 'em all! I'm 74 y.o. and at 1162 and counting. Built a concrete block gun room. 2,500 volts on the triple deadbolt steel door...no windows. It's also the loading bench room with three presses.

The one I had was my Off Duty Carry Gun but when I had to put the 3rd Round(125gr. Winchester Silver-Tips) into the head of a maybe 50 pound Dog to get the job done, well, it just didn't seem right to trust the cartridge so I went back to my Smith and Wesson Model 19-3 with the 2-1/2" Barrel because I have dispatched several Deer and one Elk with that piece.
That's the same problem my wife had on a deer with her S&W642 shooting "Short Barrel" loads. Took three shots.

and topping the list, no joke, was a Taurus .357 with a 6" barrel. That was the first and most accurate revolver I've ever owned.
My friend bought a Taurus 65 6" 357 in the mid to late 80's. It had a fantastic single action trigger and was very accurate. He paid something like $175 for it brand new. That was my first experience with a Taurus revolver and I was certainly impressed. He still has the gun.

I think sometimes it's the ones that you have to sell due to necessity. Maybe something comes up like you lose your job or get a divorce, etc. But when you have to sell some of your favorites, that can be the worst. I remember one particular rifle that I used for centerfire competition that I wish I didn't sell. The only reason I sold it was because my clubs range shut down for a couple years. I didn't think it would ever open back up, so I sent one of my best centerfire competition rifles down the road. I still have pictures of the rifle and pictures of the targets that I shot with it and also the memories of the nice buck I shot with it in the Deschutes canyons one year at a LR distance of 600 yards. I'll share some pics of the rifle and where I hunted with it. It was a tack driver at any range.

FN PBR XP 300WSM:
qagR2BG.jpg
VeelQX5.jpg

I remember shooting this 10 shot group at 160 yards one evening:
FR1wcln.jpg

I went out to my usual rock quarry in the woods and there was a nice gentleman already set up at that distance from where I put up my target, so I decided to shoot along side him. He was using a beautiful all original pre 64 model 70 300H&H. He was shooting handloads and the pre 64 was no slouch either. He was turning in some very consistent sub moa 5 shot groups. When he saw I was shooting 10 shot groups, he said he'd give it a try and then his groups opened up to 2 moa. I suspected his barrel was warming up or he was getting tired. Anyway, the memories are all I have left of that rifle. Still wish I would have never sold it.
kHi7E9e.jpg
sMXCMOm.jpg

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR