JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Ruger Mini 30. Stainless and composite.
I bought in CA in 2010 because I couldn't buy an AK.

Picky on ammo and mags. Not terribly accurate.

Once I moved to Oregon, I traded it for a MAK 90.

Last Edited:
Bryco (jennings?) .380. Paid more for a replacement firing pin than I did for the gun. Had a hoot of a time on this website constructing an ad to sell it. ("Join the mahogany-paneled hallowed halls of the Bryco Owners Society..." etc. etc. ad nauseum)

Mini-14's (2). Blood, sweat and tears trying to get them to shoot with no result.

D119393F-2246-45C8-B3D0-96CB1DCB9E86.jpeg IntraTec Cat 9, first handgun I ever purchased, got it from a gun shop in Lorton Virginia, they saw me coming from a mile away. I actually held onto it for about a decade but only shot it a few times, it had the worst trigger I have ever pulled, was a pain in the butt to take down and had the resale value of a week old half can of dollar store tuna. That and it was about as ugly as a pistol can get. The one in the picture isn't mine, just a screen grab, still just as ugly.

Jennings 9mm. The one I had was reasonably reliable for what little I shot it, but the more I handled it the more I realized it was a ultra-cheap, pot metal piece of junk. I got rid of mine after a friend showed me a photo of the one that blew up in his buddy's hand while shooting.

Added: I sold it for a steep discount to a guy I knew, with full disclosure on what I thought of it.

Last Edited:
Hi Point 9mm Carbine. Poorly engineered junk and the most ridiculous twenty round magazines I've ever seen. I sold it for a loss just to be shed of it.

Hi Point 9mm Carbine. Poorly engineered junk and the most ridiculous twenty round magazines I've ever seen. I sold it for a loss just to be shed of it.

Interesting, I know a lot of people really like them. I've never shot one myself, never really looked at them because the level of quality didn't look like something I'd care for.

Along the same lines is the KelTec Sub2000. I have one in .40sw. I like it but have mixed feelings. I really like the super-compact and simple design, but would like it a lot more had it been executed with better quality. The cheap feel and materials don't really inspire confidence.

I felt the same way about the Kel Tec SU16. It was actually a pretty decent shooter, but it felt flimsy. I liked it as a concept but not the execution. However it was smart to use AR mags.
I traded it on.

Last Edited:
Interesting, I know a lot of people really like them. I've never shot one myself, never really looked at them because the level of quality didn't look like something I'd care for.

Along the same lines is the KelTec Sub2000. I have one in .40sw. I like it but have mixed feelings. I really like the super-compact and simple design, but would like it a lot more had it been executed with better quality. The cheap feel and materials don't really inspire confidence.

The Highpoint carbine has an amazing reputation considering how little they cost. Co has an outstanding rep for how they handle the customer after the sale too.
As for the S2K they originally were made out of the kind of alloys many AR's are made from. The problem was they also cost about the same a base AR did at that time. They still sold quite well. The Co then redesigned them as they are now, lots of Polymer. Price then was less than half what they had been selling for. From the time they hit the market they were famous for being very hard to find. The Co could not make them as fast as they sold. I bought 2 of them back when they were less than $300 when you could find them. Ended up selling the .40 a couple years ago since it was the only gun I had left in that caliber. The 9mm version is still in the go to rotation for he home. Damn thing is so short and light that it makes a dandy home gun. Lost track of how many K rounds it has eaten and it just keeps working. Sights are VERY poor but work fine for the close in stuff. The newer version they did put much better sights on them. They are sure not for everyone but everyone who ever shoots mine loves it.

You just had to go and start this thread to torture me. Over the course of 55 years of buying and selling guns, a good many dogs have gone through my hands. When you are young and first start buying guns, you are more vulnerable. Here are 10 of the more memorable ones:

1. First dog I got burned on, a JC Higgins .22 semi auto from a school friend. Who'd taken it apart to see what was inside and left out a few parts, never could get it to work right.
2. Two German G.43's I bought in high school. One was a parts gun, the other allegedly functional. Went shooting with it, the snap ring that held the safety lever in the rear of the receiver came out, released the recoil springs and bolt housing which went flying over my shoulder and into the dirt. The lip that held the snap ring in place was defective. Good-bye.
3. Back around 1972, I had yet to learn much about Smith & Wessons. I was at a gun show, saw a Parkerized Model 36 Chief's Special. I thought it might be a military gun. It wasn't. Someone had milled off the original serial number, re-stamped a bogus number, had ground down the grips at the same time to match, refinished it. That one had to go quickly.
4. Bought a new Winchester Model 70 in .30-06 during the 1980's when USRA was in charge. I ordered the rifle through a dealer. When it arrived, the bolt knob was sticking out of the carton and had the blueing scraped off. After I took the rifle home and started looking it over, I noticed that the stock inlet was all wrong. The barreled action would bolt in, but sat in there off-kilter because the barrel channel was completely wacked. I sent it back for a replacement and that one was fine.
5. One of several Smith & Wesson Model 547's I owned, came home with Pachmayr rubber grips on it. It was a square butt revolver. I took the rubber grip off just for the heck of it and discovered that someone had ground down the square butt to fit round butt grip. Major gnashing of teeth that some idiot had ruined a kinda rare and fine revolver and I got burned on it. There's a lesson there.
6. Never be taken in by kindly, elderly, gentlemanly types. You do so at your peril. Bought a Smith & Wesson Model 34 Kit Gun from one such at a WAC show years ago. I talked with this guy for 30 minutes before buying the gun. It came with a story, he was the original owner, low round count, etc. Long story short, it had hidden defects that were not immediately discernible. I couldn't see the slight burrs on the screw heads that would've indicated intrusion. And I'm only semi-kidding when I say, "That's why they choose dim, dark halls to hold gun shows in."
7. I have to concur with those voicing dissatisfaction with having owned Ruger Mini-14's. I've owned three, none shot with commendable accuracy. Eventually, it was educational. I haven't owned one in a long time.
8. Another bad Ruger I've owned was a Model 77 in 7mm Mauser. Never could get that rifle to shoot right. Different loads, every weight of bullet. I finally got so-so accuracy with 154 gr. bullets but by then I was weary of it. On the other hand, I've owned a 77 in .257 Roberts and still own a 77 Mark II in .223 that are tack-drivers.
9. Dissing Ruger again, I hate their earlier generation automatic pistols. Like the P94 and P95, I've owned one of each. Fat fistfuls, heavy, ugly. Never again no matter how cheap. But I like and own many of their other products.
10. I'll save the worst of my Top Ten for last. My love-hate relationship with 1911's in .38 Super. Back around 1973, a friend of mine had a real nice Colt, a three digit .38 Super, one of the first ones from something like 1930 or thereabouts. I admired it, decided someday I'd have one. Really, it was a collector's item way back then, we just didn't know it. When I finally got one, it was a well-used Series 70 with original barrel before Colt figured how how to make that part like Bar-Sto. Accuracy was horrible. I bought a Bar-Sto barrel for it but didn't want to pay to have it fitted professionally so did it myself. It came out okay, worked, I didn't like my would-be machine work on the replacement barrel. I got tired of it and sold it off. 15 years later, I decided I wanted another .38 Super and an infamous gun shop on Aurora Ave. North in Seattle had a used Auto Ordnance 1911 for $200. Name sound familiar? I've already seen it in this thread. Anyway, this gun was a real jammer. You couldn't get through more than two or three rounds and it would jam. It took me a while to figure out the problem, but it turned out to be a defective slide. Yes, on the inner left side opposite the extractor, they had machined out too much material on the inside of the slide. This would allow the fired case to slip over to the left side and out from under the extractor. I can tell you from experience J.B. Weld won't work on 1911 slides. Anyway, I determined that this dog was going for a walk. You know those guys who used to always have a table near the door at the older WAC shows, and when you'd walk in the door, ask you, "Whattya got for sale?" Well, I offed this defective Auto Ordnance to one of these notorious vultures and never felt bad about it.

One thing I'd forgotten about the Auto Ordnance. The barrel had all these random etchings in it, hard to describe, looked like water marks but were probably from some kind of exposure to acid during the manufacturing process. Made for a rough bore. So I sent away to Numrich (Gun Parts Inc.) for a replacement. Well, Numrich is a corporate relative of Auto Ordnance. Would you believe, the new replacement barrel that came had the same exact acid etching marks in it??!!

Continuing item 10 in this list. After that, I still wanted a .38 Super. Several years went by, and I saw an ad in the newspaper (remember print journalism?) from the same notorious gun shop on Aurora Ave. N. Starts with a B and ends with utche's. They're gone now. They were running a sale on brand new 1911's, your choice of caliber, .38 Super or .45 ACP. Made in the Philippines by S.A.M. which stands for, Shooters Arms Manufacturers. I thought, "How bad could this be, it's a new gun, nobody's had a chance to mess with it yet." I think it cost about $250 new. Oh boy. First of all, it wouldn't shoot even close to point of aim, even at a fairly close distance like seven yards. Second of all, you'd shoot it for about a magazine's worth and it would disassemble on its own. The slide stop would fall out, the slide and barrel would fall off on the bench. Third, when it didn't fall apart on it's own, it would jam. It was pretty awful. It was a new gun, supposedly under warranty, the distributor wanted me to send it back on my own money. I didn't want to mess around with it and didn't want a replacement. I'd rather not say how this one found a new home.

Now I'm in the home stretch of this story. Colt finally figured out how to make .38 Super barrels. I bought a new Series 80, wonderful pistol. Then I bought a second hand Combat Commander Series 80, also a good gun.

I've got other stories but the ones above are enough for now. That gun shop on Aurora, I bought several guns from them over the years. They always had interesting used stuff that people would bring in off the street and sell. Like the defective Auto Ordnance. But some were good. The store, it reeked to High Heaven of nicotine, all the surfaces inside the store were covered with a coating of yellow-brown stain from decades of smoking exposure. I was in there in later years when they closed out their reloading supplies, prices were reduced to TEN PERCENT of original prices. I bought a lot that day.

Last Edited:
Oh, I forgot one. A Winchester Model 70 in .300 Win Mag. Vintage about 1969, the kind with the black end cap on the front of the wooden stock. I've had the same rifle in .308 Win for decades, very accurate. A scratched-up beater but shoots well. The .300 Mag came along a few years ago at a cheap price, I figured I already like this design, what could go wrong? What went wrong was my age. That .300 Mag beat me up. The first shot I took at the range backed the black end cap out of the stock; it was still there but hanging on by two dowels with a half inch gap. The factory recoil pad had hardened up a bit over the years, but that was only part of the issue. A couple of times, I thought the rifle was gonna fly out of my hands. I think I fired about six or eight rounds, that was it. The recoil anticipation was so bad I couldn't concentrate on my hold or trigger technique. The .308 I still have; it's very civilized, even without a recoil pad. I made the .300 Win Mag go away quickly.

I had a supposed 'friend' sell me a Feather carbine in 9mm, took it out to the range and found it was wildly inaccurate--finally managed to dump it off at a gunshow & later asked my 'friend' why he sold me such a pos?

Don't recall his excuse but I do remember deciding he wasn't much of a friend

Glock 30 - .45 ACP in a sub compact was punishing with 230 grain rounds, tolerable with 180.
Glock 26 - being able to use all the double stack 9mm Glock mags is nice but with all the other micro 9mms I just don't have a place for it anymore.
Glock 43 - Don't like several things about it. Should have been beveled at the front like the 26 and Gen5s, don't like shooting it.
Sig P938 - Loved almost everything about that gun, carrying it, great size, weight, liked shooting it.
Sig P320 Compact RX - Didn't hate the gun, but don't miss it either.
Hated trying to get the recoil spring on the rod and back in place.
Springfield Armory XD-s 3.3 9mm - It's a carry gun that is pretty big and heavy for it's class. Shot it well but just didn't carry well.

I forgot about my Jiminez JA 9mm! First time I took it out shooting, the slide broke, and smacked me right between the eyes. I looked like a unicorn for two weeks with that huge red lump. I tossed it in the trash, but my friend took it out, and sent it back for warranty. He then sold it without shooting it for like $50 not telling them the history. I couldn't do that to someone.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top