JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I went in there about 15 years ago to get a Rem 870 Express. I asked if they had and room in the price since they were $40 more than Bi-Mart. The owner stated, "the reason ours cost more is because we spend money to have our shotgun barrels straightened". I drove directly to Bi-Mart and have never step foot in the door again.

I stopped by a gun store over on SE Foster inPortland on Saturday. It's "The Gun Room". They have a pretty impressive collection of firearms.

I'd have to say that they are a good $100-200 (or more) overpriced on every firearm. I'm thinking that $835 for a Marlin 336 in .30-30 with the crossbolt safety is a wee bit much.

Hmmm.. I've seen new Marlin 336's other places for low fives.... and I bought a fairly recent one with the gen yuo whine walnut stock this morning on Auction Arms for $250... pics show it to be very clean, I've bought from these guys before, they rate their stuff very conservatively. Hey, for his price I could buy THREE of these, (almost ended up with a second from the same place that closed a few minutes later.. I'd bid on both.... ) for the price of his one. And, after one box of shells through it, what wold be the difference? Like Cocktailer says, "buy em cheep and stack em deep". Three used Marlin 336's in good condition beats one new one any day. Pass em out to your friends when needed, hey?

And also a pretty serious crime...unless we could get his approval to audio tape him. :)

I even have to disable the mics on my camera system at work because I cannot audio record patrons on private property without their consent.

Almost correct, you don't need his approval/permission but you do need to inform him that he is being audio taped. Only one party needs to consent.

So, if you’re thinking about Recording some Phone Calls or placing a voice-activated Recorder in a room to Record Conversations, you’ll need to take a look at the applicable Laws.
The first place to look is at the federal wiretapping statute – also known as the Electronic Communications Privacy Act. Federal Law allows Phone calls (traditional, cellular and cordless) and other electronic communication to be Recorded with the consent of at least one party to the Conversation. This means that if you are one of the people taking part in the conversation, it can be recorded (because one person – you – has consented to the recording).
Most state wiretapping and eavesdropping Laws are based upon the federal Law and allow Recording with the consent of one party to the Conversation.

The 37 states which allow “one party consent” recording of oral communications are: Alaska, Arkansas, Colorado, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia, Wisconsin and Wyoming.

Can I Get Audio In My Hidden Camera?
No you cannot. According to United States federal laws, audio should not be used in a surreptitious manner. One example of surreptitious interception is audio in a hidden camera. This includes pinhole board cameras and all covert or hidden cameras; i.e., a clock radio. Audio in a hidden camera or board camera is only available to law enforcement agencies. Title 18, Section 2512.

you guys really wanna have fun, wear a Glock shirt into that place. I did once just for fun. The guy followed me around the store telling me how stupid I was for wearing the shirt and being a "walking billboard" for the "G@D D@MN toy gun company". I thought he was gonna burst a blood vessle right there in his own store.

you guys really wanna have fun, wear a Glock shirt into that place. I did once just for fun. The guy followed me around the store telling me how stupid I was for wearing the shirt and being a "walking billboard" for the "G@D D@MN toy gun company". I thought he was gonna burst a blood vessle right there in his own store.

I've never been there, but from your description as well as the others in the big thread and this, all I could think of was "Principal McVickers."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEGxhKjaxFU

That place is officially a joke.

The word from other businesses in the area is that the property is paid in full, so that keeps overhead down, they have to sell one or two overpriced guns to make their bills.

I go in there occasionally just to have a look around. I had a guy tell me that CZ guns were all crap, even though there was a CZ97 in the case.

In addition to gun snobbery you can also get a dose of BS political opinion being dispensed whether you want to hear it or not.

My favorite memory is when a reporter went there to ask them about AR15s back when those two guys were sniping people in Maryland. it was classic.

Bottom line, these people are a disservice to shooters, and probably do more harm than good to the cause.
I can imagine how a new shooter, or someone curious about guns feels after leaving that store... full of right wing stereotypes and the personality of an alcoholic panhandler shouting nonsense in your face.

Gunbroker and NWFA are the only places to get guns, or info on guns. Although Force Ten in Newberg is the best place to do transfer sales.

Just asked our security rep and she said that "one party consent" only applies to third party recordings. That means is an agency, company, or individual is recording conversations between two people that one person involved in the conversation needs to be informed. It does not mean a sole entity can simply record anyone they wish because they themselves know about it. I guess that makes sense since how could one person not know if they are the one doing the recording. Legal mumbo jumbo is such a pain.

Drat, I was trying to get them to turn back on the sound feature of my security cameras. When they were installed I had to sign a document stating that I was aware they were disabling that feature for legal reasons.

So, if one of us went in with a hidden camera and recorded another one of us torturing the salesperson that seems like it would be legal. Anyone have a camera hat? :)

My one and only trip to the Gun Room a few years ago, was not a pleasant experience either. I was casually browsing, when the guy who claimed to be the owner sauntered over to me.

"Can I help you?" he says. I told him I was looking for .223 hollowpoint ammo.

He pointed me in the right direction, then asked what gun I was going to use it in.

"Mini-14" I said.

The guy then launches into a profanity laced rant, saying that there is no legitimate use for any semi-auto rifle. He further claimed that "We lost in Vietnam because the troops wasted too much ammo with those G%^ D*&# things. If all troops had bolt action rifles, we would have won!"

The guy was turning red, his neck veins were swelling and he was beginning to foam at the mouth. I backed out of the store telling him he needs professional help. I haven't been back, nor shall I ever. The guy needs to be locked up somewhere. :nuts:

The guy was turning red, his neck veins were swelling and he was beginning to foam at the mouth. I backed out of the store telling him he needs professional help. I haven't been back, nor shall I ever. The guy needs to be locked up somewhere.

Yea, he's definitely CooCoo for Cocoa Puffs!

We should get about 20 of us together and go in there all at once. I bet he can only take so many Glock/CZ/HK questions at once before his head explodes.

scanners4.jpg

I believe you are correct (unless things have changed over the last 20 years), when I worked for agency we were informed by council that only one side needed to know of recording to make it legal.
Also, if I remember correctly, "The Gun Room" has been around since the mid 60's. I remember it being there when I was in grade school.

So I went there today because I was showing my girlfriend this thread and she couldn't believe it was that bad.
When we walked in The owner was on the phone and she was listening to the conversation. When we walked in He was explaining to the person on the phone that "its either a colt or its a copy" and that "he had a real gun in his safe going up in value while other people bough cheap copies like Kimber" I almost wet laughed out loud. My girlfriend was just looking at me wide eyed when I guess the guy on the phone asked about Kel-techs little pocket 380 because he started a Titare about how a S&W airweight .38 was better because it was +P power and how unsafe the Kel-Tech and the Ruger "Little Crappy Pistol" where because there was no safety on them so if you dropped it the gun would "just go off". Then started to lecture about how if the person needed the gun in a "fire fight" that the other person "would only be a couple feet away", and that it was "Always only one or to shots". So the J frame had "more than enough ammo"
just because I was already there I asked how much for a rcbs shell holder, and was quoted 6 bucks, to witch I replied that I would just wait until wholesale sports got the one I needed because it was only 3 and change down there. The old guy slammed the shell holder down on the counter and Yelled that I should just go back to wholesale then. It was comical.
My girlfriend was horrified that they would yell at a customer like that, and the bad info that the owner was giving on the phone. When we walked out I told her it had been that way since I first moved to Portland and found that store, and That was why it had the reputation it did.
It was kinda funny to see the reaction of someone who hasn't been there before see how they treat customers.

I'll add to the pile. Went in with a couple buddies, one who inquired as to whether they carried the mossberg 590. Warren told he didn't carry Chinese plastic crap and proceeded to show my friend "what he needed" which cost more than 3x what the mossy cost. Same story with the other guy I was with regarding the rifle he asked about. If he doesn't carry it, it's crap. And his ammo is damned expensive.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top