JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just a heads up before you make a drive across town. After having been open for 28 years they are closing up shop. From what I have heard the owner is retiring and moving somewhere warmer.
Over the years that store has had some pretty darn nice firearms!
As some may already know he closed up the Tigard store a few years ago then another local gun retailer scooped up that location and opened shop.

Hmmm, too bad. I bought a gun or two from them way back when, but after seeing them being the first to start "scalping" bricks of Remington 22's, never went back.

I stopped going when they started the gouging type of pricing. For a time before all that it was my father and I's go to shop. Roy is a nice guy who love his fancy motorbikes. Bought so many guns from them I lost track. My girlfriend and I stopped in a few days back, with the roads in the area being screwed with by the government im not surprised that location is dieing, its a joke to get there now.

Sorry to hear that! I've bought a few guns from them over the years, one of the local shops I enjoyed visiting. Even first found out about @Velzey through them when I brought in a used gun to have a safety check done. Too bad we're losing another decent local shop.

Used to frequent the Tigard location, it was cool that you could put a gun on layaway for a few bucks down if you weren't to rich and you found something you really couldn't pass up. All my purchases from there were good shooters.

Royd and I both worked the gun counter together at the now closed Larry's Sports Center in Oregon City. We had a damn fine time selling and trading firearms.

I talked with him a few weeks ago about the new Clackamas interchange. It has definitely had a negative impact on his store and combined with the general anti gun atmosphere this state has, it doesn't surprise me that he's calling it a day.

If anyone has the nerve, ask him about the "pet" coyote he had at his apartment.

E

I went in twice with a pocket full of cash about fifteen years ago looking to buy a rifle. Both times I was treated like a leper. The pretty young "security guards" knew nothing about anything, and when the boss was located he answered my simple questions with an angry growl at being disturbed from being constantly on the phone instead of talking to actual customers. The girl up on the high pedestal counter in the rifle room was hilarious, studiously observing the customers, all two of us, so that we did not try to slip a rifle in our pants and sneak out without paying! I never went back.

I went in twice with a pocket full of cash about fifteen years ago looking to buy a rifle. Both times I was treated like a leper. The pretty young "security guards" knew nothing about anything, and when the boss was located he answered my simple questions with an angry growl at being disturbed from being constantly on the phone instead of talking to actual customers. The girl up on the high pedestal counter in the rifle room was hilarious, studiously observing the customers, all two of us, so that we did not try to slip a rifle in our pants and sneak out without paying! I never went back.

Sorry you had a bad experience. I handled things a little differently and my experience was a good one. First, I started quietly eyeing what was probably the most expensive pistol in the shop and he was off that phone helping me right quick to close the sale with what can only be called an almost-smile (true).
Second, I informed the pretty young security guard that what she saw was "not a rifle down my pants...but you're welcome to check"
(not true, but fun to think about).

Last Edited:
What's funny is they had an older gentleman with overalls on walk in one day.. mill around for a half hour, the store was rather busy. He waited until nobody was looking and he shoved a scoped Winchester model 70 down his overalls. He was then walking stiff legged and one of the sales people noticed 3" of barrel sticking out the bottom of his pants leg..
Walked right out the door and walked around to his trunk. Needless to say he was caught and Clackamas county sheriff hauled his butt away. :eek:

I was in there about a week ago. His selection was a shadow of what it once was, so I'm not surprised to hear this. With his sister's cancer a few years back and her shop in Woodburn closing, then them blaming Cabela's for killing the Tigard store (which I doubt, I think it was a convenient excuse - as Northwest Armory is thriving in the exact same space that was one Gun Broker, with much of the same store staff to boot) - it was a matter of time until Clackamas was done for.

I'm sad in a way, but it is the end of an era. The rerouting of 82nd was the last nail in their coffin for sure.

I bought several guns there also. Still have most. The store changed after the staff shakeup a few years back. Royd is not a people person. Losing his staff was the beginning of the end. Last few times I was in there he seemed pissed I wasn't buying. The very last time a few months ago he really seemed pissed. I decided I would stop stopping by to see what they had.

I'm sorry to hear of the store's closing. In the past I've purchased firearms from both of their locations. Yup, even as a WA resident, I was able to find a deal or two in their used rifles section.

But.....even though it's a sad occasion for me. I'd like to convey my congratulations and wish the owner well in retirement.

Aloha, Mark

Sad to see any gun shop go, but maybe this will boost business for The Gun Room? :s0140:

Sorry.....

We bought a couple of guns there. It was one of our early experiences with "Gun Shops", a great place for that. Always a couple of old-timers sitting on a stool talking guns, a wall full of used guns. The old stuff hanging on the walls. Good stuff. I hope that Roy earned his money and goes on to rest and relax, enjoy life and do what he likes to do.

Yes, too bad. I liked both of those stores. I used to always take the 82nd Drive "shortcut" whenever I was even near there and stop on in. now it's just dumb and no one probably goes there any more. sad

Yes, too bad. I liked both of those stores. I used to always take the 82nd Drive "shortcut" whenever I was even near there and stop on in. now it's just dumb and no one probably goes there any more. sad

The only reason I go down that road now is to his the DEQ, which means I don't even get down to where the store is located. No doubt those road changes have hurt a number of businesses down there.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top