JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'd like to see a paperback quick reference guide for 20th Century small arms, specifically, combat arms... something similar to the Jane's Guides for Aircraft/Armor/Ships, etc. Just two pages for each gun, a brief history, a couple of pictures, some engineering views (front/top/side) and essential data (length/weight/caliber(s)/production #/production dates). I would love to have this book in my safe so I could refer to it as needed.

If something like this already exists, would someone kindly let me know..

I'd like to see a paperback quick reference guide for 20th Century small arms, specifically, combat arms... something similar to the Jane's Guides for Aircraft/Armor/Ships, etc. Just two pages for each gun, a brief history, a couple of pictures, some engineering views (front/top/side) and essential data (length/weight/caliber(s)/production #/production dates). I would love to have this book in my safe so I could refer to it as needed.

If something like this already exists, would someone kindly let me know..
RUGuns.com, or something like that.

A fiction book....
The main "character" to be a either a Long Rifle or Fowler built here in America.
The book is to follow the experiences of the gun through its use in American history.

The main character could tell of his being made in colonial America...service in our Revolution , the War of 1812....Westward expansion , etc... how it was modified , who carried it...where it "lived" etc....

Why....I don't know....just sounds like a cool idea....:D
Andy
That is, Andy!
A very cool idea! :s0155:

Dean

A few I'd like to see happen:

• As deep a look as possible at the firearms used by pioneers on the Oregon and Mormon Trails.
  • An encyclopedia of small arms used during the Spanish Civil War. (There was a dizzying array of domestic and foreign pistols, submachine-guns, rifles, machine-guns, et al. from all over the world used in the conflict.)
  • The role firearms played in the civil rights movement and similar periods in our history. (This one may have something along those lines already. I've just started looking into it and found some references.)
  • An analysis of firearm used by civilians and law-enforcement personnel during the riots of the 20th and 21st centuries.
Just a few off the top of my head.

I'd like to see a book explaining exactly how the first surveyors mapped railroad and wagon routes through the mountains, all without modern technology. I'm sure that historical technology and exploration story would mention a Winchester or Marlin.
You may enjoy a book titled; "The Natural Navigator" from Tristan Gooley. It is not written within the confines of guns or railroad but instead covers how and why you should never get lost. In doing so, explains just about every conceivable method, history as we know it, and celestial importance for navigation, and by extension mapping, that are needed to find ones way. From it you will have the ability to understand the use and reason for the equipment and devices conceived by man up to the modern era along with a new appreciation of the important need awareness of surroundings and of accurate timekeeping when making calculations.
Been nice if it had been available 60 years ago when I first became interested in such things. Though generalized, but up to the level that I needed to succeed in wilderness navigation, would have saved reading a lot of books that put me to sleep back then.
Even if you are a GPS and technology user the information presented will allow you to understand how early folk armed with passed on history, awareness and crude technology understood where they were at any particular time so could make a map.

More a collection of hunting trips and general travels, than a "gun book", but I have thoroughly enjoyed.....

1611027811536.png

Mine even has the tattered cover like this one. =)

....and I still really like Andy's idea for a book about a gun as it travels through history.
It could read like Centennial or maybe The Biography of a Grizzly.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top