JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I absolutely cannot believe that everyone so far has missed the mark on this one. All should know that the HiPoint is the be all, end all of American firearms. How many "American" gun makers are truly all American such as the all mighty HiPoint? Truth be yold, I don't own any HiPoints, I just aspire to own one some day.

I absolutely cannot believe that everyone so far has missed the mark on this one. All should know that the HiPoint is the be all, end all of American firearms. How many "American" gun makers are truly all American such as the all mighty HiPoint? Truth be yold, I don't own any HiPoints, I just aspire to own one some day.
You may be on to something...

No Kentucky or Hawkens?
Soooo....
The name "Kentucky Rifle" gained popularity in the 1820's....
From a song called "The Hunters of Kentucky".
However....
Most folks back then called them Long Rifles.

Nowadays....most folks call any old flintlock rifle a Kentucky Rifle.
Which it may be...but probably ain't.
What is now known as a Kentucky Rifle was probably made in Maryland , Pennsylvania or Virginia
The name Kentucky Rifle really got its start from being used in the settlement of Kentucky and those fellas who used Long Rifles in Kentucky or were from there.

A 1760 - 1820 era Long Rifle from Maryland ...or one from Pennsylvania or Virginia...
Look similar ..but have subtle and not so subtle differences.
All three may have been used in Kentucky...but not made in Kentucky.
An actual Kentucky Long Rifle....looks different as well.

Then there are those wonderful Southern Mountain rifles...a whole other kind of so called Kentucky Rifle.

As for a Hawken Rifle....which one ?
The Long Rifles made by Christian Hawken in Maryland....
The Mountain Rifles made by Jake and Sam Hawken in St. Louis...
The rifles made by Sam Hawken in St. Louis and Denver...
Or...Those made by Tristian Campbell , William Watt and John P. Gemmer...who also all made Hawken Rifles.
Or.....
A new made Hawken Rifle from the actual Hawken Rifle Shop in Oak Harbor Washington....

I do have a very nice Hawken Copy...and a gorgeous St. Louis made Mountain Rifle of the 1840s....which is very similar to a Hawken Mountain / Plains Rifle.
Andy

Edit to add :
Sorry for the long post and a bit off OP...
So called Kentucky Rifles and Hawken Rifles...are both deep and dangerous rabbit holes.... :D

Last Edited:
The Great American Plains / Mountain rifle....circa 1840's -1850's...

My original F.E. Seiferth rifle made in St.Louis.
.50 caliber , walnut half stock with inlays and gold bands at the breech.
This rifle is of the same time period when most folks think of Hawken rifles.
And while it is not a actual Hawken Rifle..it was made a few blocks away from the Hawken Shop in St. Louis.
Andy

The Great American Plains / Mountain rifle....circa 1840's -1850's...

My original F.E. Seiferth rifle made in St.Louis.
.50 caliber , walnut half stock with inlays and gold bands at the breech.
This rifle is of the same time period when most folks think of Hawken rifles.
And while it is not a actual Hawken Rifle..it was made a few blocks away from the Hawken Shop in St. Louis.
Andy

Now that is a piece of art there. What a wonderful piece of workmanship!!!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top