Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

the gravel pit by Bridge of the Gods,is it still open for shooting?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Shooting Areas' started by Throckmorton, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Throckmorton

Throckmorton Florence,Ore ah gone Well-Known Member

I haven't been there for months,and have not seen it mentioned here for a while.Anyone know if that area is still availble? I believe it was Ash Lake rd,just right past the bridge on the Wa side.
    thanks !

2. sandman1212

sandman1212 NW Oregon Active Member

I was just there last weekend, open and GTG.

3. Throckmorton

Thanks,sandman !

4. sandman1212

No problem, Good shooting!

5. Benihaus

Benihaus Portland American

WOW how great is this! I actually was visiting this topic to help a buddy find a good place near his home to shoot (lives in stevenson). Could anyone tell me where exactlyish this is?, and is it a place that he could comfortably bring his younger children to learn? They both got rifles for xmas.
    Thanks again

6. MichaelJ

MichaelJ Vancouver, WA Member

Actually just heard about this spot at the barber shop on saturday. Good to hear its still open. Id like to check it out. Anybody have directions and/or pictures maybe?

7. sandman1212

Washington side of bridge of the gods, about a 2/10th of a mile east to ash lake road take a left, follow ash lake rd to blue lake rd, follow for about 2 or 3 miles and there will be signs to the shooting range. It has shooting tables, about a 100-150 yard range and a separate pistol area.

BTW, my 9 and 12 YO girls love it there. gotta get my other kids out there!

8. Throckmorton

it doesn't look like a 'shooting range',more like a gravel pit being used as a range,but it's a good place to shoot.Friendly folks,kids welcome.

9. iomatic

iomatic Portland Member

So that sounds like it's not as far as Horse thief butte? Geos? Thanks.

10. nwjimmy

nwjimmy pdx New Member

Is this area "managed" by the carson gun club?

11. sandman1212

I am not sure who "manages" it.

12. kenjo

kenjo Washougal Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

The shooting ranges are above the gravel pit. The gravel pit has signs prohibiting unauthorized vehicles, but some people shoot down there when the range is full. Unfortunately, unauthorized use of the gravel pit for shooting may get the range closed. Also, if you use this range, please don't shoot up old computers, monitors, tv sets, etc. Please pack out your garbage. Shooting glass bottles, etc., leaves a mess and once again, may cause the loss of this range. The Cascade Sportsmans Club (CSC) has taken the responsibility for maintaining the range. They have provided the shooting benches and periodically clean up the range. If everybody who shoots there does their part by using common sense and keeping the trash out it can be a good place to shoot for a long time.

13. tomlikeaidp

tomlikeaidp Washougal Member

All said above is true. Please please please don't poop on this spot. If you see people pooping on the range, kindly ask them to clean up after themselves. If they refuse, call the sherif's dept. They do training out there and have a good relationship with the CSC and are more than willing to respond with their ticket book.

GRUNDEL and (deleted member) like this.
  14. ripcity

ripcity Milwaukie Active Member

Well said, too many appliances, monitors, and glass is being shot these days. It's really sad that people want to do this to our outdoor shooting areas.

15. Just1MoreBlackRifle

Just1MoreBlackRifle Battle Ground, WA 98604 Member

There is an Appleseed shoot early August at the range. Enjoy the range while you can.... those of you that don't know...the range (above the gravel pits) is being closed down by the DNR permanently mid August.

16. Throckmorton

oh crap !! not another good shooting spot being closed down !!! :(

ok,side note.tomorrow,sunday,is 'open to the public day' at wolverton mt. gun club,25 minutes east of woodland ,wa. as we lose more places to shoot,the gun clubs will get full fast. check it out ! I"ve been a member for YEARS. I'll be there at about 9:30 am for about an hour or so,com up and see a great place to shoot.
    mike