JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I started a thread on wanting a .38 super.
Got a bunch of real good opinions. I would love to get one of the Dan Wesson pistols discussed in that thread.
But you know , i think the smart move now might be just to get a Dillon RL 550 and start shooting my very nice .45 more.
My .45 started out as an early lightweight colt. But the frame cracked at some point so i had it rebuilt on a Caspian stainless frame , By Don Williams of the action works. I had the Heinnie strait 8s and a custom bushing fitted , and Frankly, it a nice shootin Iron.
I shoot 9mm lots cause its cheaper, CZ75B and Ruger lc9. But I love the 1911 so smarter move to get a Dillon and shoot the .45 more.
Then i could get a .38 super conversion for the dillon and get a 38 super pistol at a future date.
I'm working about 60 a week , so i do deserve a couple of new toys. But 1 will be a 12 fret Parlor guitar. I can take to work with me and play while my truck gets unloaded...tj3006

I like my Pre-fire [Made befor Oct, 2012] Dan Wesson CCO.
Alloy frame. Tool steel trigger group. No MIM. And hand fit. for about $1400.

Tell me. What do the super expensive 1911's do more to justify their price? o_O

Last Edited:
Have to be interested in Medic's question! I was a journeyman machinist for 25yrs, those parts don't cost all that much to make.
My only remaining 1911 is a Colt Officers Mdl, a .45, polished stainless. It was tuned at Shooters Service Center, in N PDX.

I've always wanted a .38 Super! I'm not a huge fantasy gun guy, but! My .38 Super will be a full sized 1911, best sights I can mount, an additional 2-2.5" more barrel length and fully fit and tuned. Like to have a QD scope and mount! :D
To those of you still following, that's right. This idiot wants to shoot ground squirrels with a .38 Super pistol! ;)

I like my Pre-fire [Made befor Oct, 2012] Dan Wesson CCO.
Alloy frame. Tool steel trigger group. No MIM. And hand fit. for about $1400.

Les Baer 3 in. Group at 50 yards out of th box is a good start

Les Baer 3 in. Group at 50 yards out of th box is a good start

Since I'm a BIG time 1911 fanboy I love to look longingly at "high end" 1911's. Every time I see one I want one. Could I buy one? Yes easily. Will I? Probably not. Unless I hit the lotto. In that case I would certainly have at least one. Right now I have one 1911 that is from WWI. It's been redone a lot and I don't carry it any more since some parts are original. It still works great and is as accurate as I can be. My 2 EDC 1911's are both Springfield's. Probably would be worth in the $500 range to buy or sell. They work with anything I feed them. From a rest at 50' they show me when I miss it's not the pistols fault. Been a long time since I tried to shoot them at 50 yds. When I did we were more playing that serious. With open sights my eye's make me happy to hit the paper at that range. Would a high end do better? For me no. I would just like to have one. Now if I shot in competition that would be a different story.

Since I'm a BIG time 1911 fanboy I love to look longingly at "high end" 1911's. Every time I see one I want one. Could I buy one? Yes easily. Will I? Probably not. Unless I hit the lotto. In that case I would certainly have at least one. Right now I have one 1911 that is from WWI. It's been redone a lot and I don't carry it any more since some parts are original. It still works great and is as accurate as I can be. My 2 EDC 1911's are both Springfield's. Probably would be worth in the $500 range to buy or sell. They work with anything I feed them. From a rest at 50' they show me when I miss it's not the pistols fault. Been a long time since I tried to shoot them at 50 yds. When I did we were more playing that serious. With open sights my eye's make me happy to hit the paper at that range. Would a high end do better? For me no. I would just like to have one. Now if I shot in competition that would be a different story.

The nice part or not so is the fact you see how you are really shooting because you can not blame the gun.
I agree with the eye part you mentioned.

The nice part or not so is the fact you see how you are really shooting because you can not blame the gun.
I agree with the eye part you mentioned.

LOL, yep age catches up with eyes. I have a portable rest I take with me now and then. If my shooting is going worse than I would like I will use it to make sure. Of course each time I do it shows me the problem is the operator not the tool. :confused:
It's why I am real big on optics and lasers now.

I like the look of the Springfield armory range officer. I would put a tritium front site in dovetail and call it good.
Seems a lot of pistol for the money.
My eyes suck too. But shoot my commander pretty well ...tj3006

I say shoot the 45. Easy and cheap to reload. Low recoil and accurate. I have been
loading 45 acp on my Dillon 550 for 30 years.
My favorite accurate low recoil target load for the 45 is 200 swc lead and 4 grains of Bullseye.
You get 1750 rounds out of a pound of Bullseye.:eek::eek::eek: Brass is cheap and plentiful.
Make sure you get large primer brass. I have reloaded 45 brass so many times you
cannot read anything on the headstamp. And it still shoots and feeds no problem.
If you ask me how many times can you reload 45 acp? My answer is you can reload it
until you lose it. After you lose the brass you can no longer reload it.o_Oo_O
You can't do that with a 40s&w or 9mm.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

The good ol 45... yep. I think the 38 Super is pretty special and I always drool over them, but I just haven't wanted one bad enough to track one down. I bit the bullet once and bought a CBOB in 10mm to match my 45. I wasn't impressed enough to even keep it instead of the one in 45, and I sold it. The .45 is common and easy to find, both guns and ammo. Reloading components are on the shelf at any place that has stock.
Ya need to crank up the velocity of the 45 if you want it to really thump something hard and it's not difficult to do so. There are a few choices in ready made ammo if not reloading your own.
The 45 doesn't have to be hot rodded to have be a serious round or to just have fun with it. We shoot a bunch of regular hardball through our guns and enjoy every minute, but I really like to shoot stout loads and practice at something farther than normal handgun range. Offhand shooting a handgun at targets 100 yards away isn't that hard to do when you get the "Kentucky Windage" figured out and a 185-230gr .45 bullet sure lets you know when it gets there!

I say shoot the 45. Easy and cheap to reload. Low recoil and accurate. I have been
loading 45 acp on my Dillon 550 for 30 years.
My favorite accurate low recoil target load for the 45 is 200 swc lead and 4 grains of Bullseye.
You get 1750 rounds out of a pound of Bullseye.:eek::eek::eek: Brass is cheap and plentiful.
Make sure you get large primer brass. I have reloaded 45 brass so many times you
cannot read anything on the headstamp. And it still shoots and feeds no problem.
If you ask me how many times can you reload 45 acp? My answer is you can reload it
until you lose it. After you lose the brass you can no longer reload it.o_Oo_O
You can't do that with a 40s&w or 9mm.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

My .45 brass is loaded until it splits at the mouth. Some of mine is hard to read now too. It's such a low pressure round I just use the brass till it wears out. When I was still rolling for my .40 I would mark it. Load the stuff one time then leave it at the range. Finally stopped all together with it. Just keep a bucket of once fired in case I ever need to again. Right now .45 is the only round I still roll due to price. Rest I just buy factory. Kept the stuff to roll the others in case there is another panic and can't find it.

Love my .45 rounds. Like a lot of you I reload only for it and buy the other calibers as needed. Same as well on reloading the brass. Re-use it lots of times until it clearly has gone to Browning Heaven. Yep, when I lose a brass it is no big deal. Someone at our range leaves hand fulls of once fired new 45 brass on the floor that I pick up and add to my resupply. Nice the way that works.

My answer would be the brand name. I know it sounds dumb... To be more specific, it is to own a piece from the most recognized name in the world and its skillful gunsmiths that the most recognized name would want to rely on them for their quality standard.

I would like to get paid for high dollars for the quality of service that i provide which I've been working so hard for. I basically keep the same attitude when I spend money.

I don't mind spending a chunk of hard earned dollars to get a quality pistol from master gun smiths, as long as I'm convinced that their amount of effort putting into exceptional quality is worth the money in my view. That's how I justify my purchase for the Wilson Supergrade.

Now I'm saving up my money again for the next one. I would like to get something like the Yost, but for now I will have to bother Bruce Gray first to take care of my X5 pistol...

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads