JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
"The ATF sent stores, including Ares Armor, letters demanding they turn over the products and names of customers who purchased them."

Emphasis mine.
Who else are being affected?
Any why now?
Is someone changing the rules as to what a 80% lower is?

"The ATF sent stores, including Ares Armor, letters demanding they turn over the products and names of customers who purchased them."

Emphasis mine.
Who else are being affected?
Any why now?
Is someone changing the rules as to what a 80% lower is?

In the video, the owner of Aries Armor talked a little about this.

My understanding from the limited information so far is that the supposition by the ATF is that these are illegally made 80% receivers that have the machining filled in with plastic. The video states that the long-standing interpretation is that there must be five operations remaining. Technically, if the receiver existed for any period of time (even during manufacture) in a more complete form, it cannot then be sold or transferred.

Having work experience in plastic injection molding, I find this highly unlikely. The far easier process would be to place an insert in the mold before injection. In this event the receiver would never exist in an illegal form.

I think it will all come down to the manufacturing process used.

I must issue a correction, they have NOT had their lowers confiscated. The injunction stopped that. They are however, no longer selling them.

Talked to someone at EP Armory today; they make the item in question. The person would not comment on the situation and whether or not anything was confiscated, customer lists requested, etc.

We agreed that it was unlikely that end users would be targeted or that finished lowers made illegal.

I did have the opportunity to examine one of these receivers today and I can say with absolute certainty that the receiver was molded around the insert which blows the ATF's assertion out of the water.

This is a political witch hunt. I feel sorry for the officers and agents that are forced to act against their conscience.

Calif. gun shop fights ATF over customer's names

A Southern California gun shop operator has obtained a temporary restraining order in U.S. District Court against the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives over an effort by ATF agents to obtain a list of their customers, and the agency has until Friday to file an opposition to that court motion.

<broken link removed>

I almost bought a couple of those 80% lowers from Ares about a week before the EP raid, but decided to postpone it for a while for other priorities.

I thought it'd be fun to machine out a lower and "git er done"... Looks like I dodged an ATF inquisition! Once the dust settles and things are ironed out Ill get me a couple... Maybe. ;)

I just went to "Ares Armor" new store in National City, CA a few weeks back. At that store they are fighting the city council over their roof top sign.

I wonder if the city council made a call to the ATF to speed things along or if the ATF was lead to Ares by EP?

There is something to be said for paying cash at a retail establishment and not having your name recorded anywhere. This is why gun owners like to buy off the record; the government (especially the ATF) changes their collective minds and what was once legal is now illegal and they want to confiscate items.

That is one reason why I bought a .50 BMG - all the talk about making them illegal. I am selling it as I just am never going to use it, but if I was younger...

Allegations fly in California gun parts case

A federal district court judge in California put a proverbial foot down yesterday in a case between a gun parts supply company and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives…

<broken link removed>

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads