JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Most importantly, it won't fall back into the action and cause a jam when trying to follow up.
Oh, I'm gonna hafta disagree with you here. It's not always bad. Many years ago, my dad and I were shooting at a nice four point buck moving smartly across a clear cut. After his second shot, he started swearing up a blue streak. Turns out, his empty case flipped 180 degrees and landed back in the action and jammed his rifle. Once the competition had been eliminated, the pressure was off and I calmly laid that buck down on my next shot. :D

Does it have to be for hunting only?

I don't hunt but I will answer this question.

This is an all purpose bolt action rifle that suits me at this stage of my life.

CZ 457 Lux 22wmr bolt action rifle.

CZ 457 Lux | CZ-USA (cz-usa.com)

The back up rifle could be my CZ457 Lux rifle in 22lr or the 22wmr version above.

But right now, I consider the 22wmr version of this CZ 457 Lux my MAIN rifle.

Cate

PS: NR, my husband agrees with many of your points about the 30-06 caliber bolt action rifle along with lever action rifles in 30-30 and 45-70. His rifle is not like yours but it is a classic, older, wood and steel rifle in 30-06. He bought it NIB a long time ago. He has shot many elk with it especially at longer distances in very specific terrain and on public and private land.

After I lost all my rifles and shotguns (20 or so) in a tragic boating divorce to pay the lawyers for both parties, I went w/o a rifle during the time I spent in Brookings fishing. Got married again while living there. But neither of us made much $$ and I knew I was never again going to be able to build up an assortment of special purpose rifles.

So when we moved back to La Grande in 1993, I wanted to get an "all-purpose" rifle for both deer and elk, the only hunting rifle I would own.

Bought a Ruger 77 .308 Stainless because it's an all around cartridge and short action for lighter weight. Kevlar stock for durability. No worries about rusting out in the gun safe in the garage. I put a cheap Bushnell 3-9x silver scope on it and it's done a fine job for me. (I shoot no more than 200yds)

I also have a Ruger 10/22 with a heavy barrel and a 3-9x, and a heavy AR varmint gun with a 4-12x and a 18-36x, and a braced AR pistol with reflex optic that I've snuck into the house over the intervening years.

However, I lost a bunch of vision in my right eye and gave the varmint rifle to my son-in-law last year. This year, I am giving the Ruger to my 14yr grandson that lives in ARK and wants to take up deer hunting with a buddy of his whose dad hunts. I'm keeping the AR pistol for home defense, and the 10/22 is going nowhere for now.

Hello,

I am sorry about your vision issues.

With that said, I think that it is sweet that you are passing on what you do not use aka shoot any longer to some family members that WILL use them.

A RF rifle (22lr or 22wmr) is a good thing to keep in my very biased (LOL) opinion.

Take care!

Cate

Hello,

I am sorry about your vision issues.

With that said, I think that it is sweet that you are passing on what you do not use aka shoot any longer to some family members that WILL use them.

A RF rifle (22lr or 22wmr) is a good thing to keep in my very biased (LOL) opinion.

Take care!

Cate

Thank you Cate!!! ♥

My "generic" bolt hunter is my .308 Ruger American w/Luelold VX2 4-12 x 40

It's spot on with 150gr Remington Core-Lokt for the first 1-3 shots (perfect for hunting) until the light contour barrel heats up and the groups open up a little more than I'd like. I've only shot one round through it while out hunting... and have taken one buck with it, so far.

View attachment 828425

If I were to be in "open country" I'd take my .308 Tikka T3x Luepold VX3iLRP. I've made 1k yard shots with it with hand loads (target shooting only).... it's not blooded, yet.
View attachment 828426

I'm surprised you haven't ditched that one piece mount on your Tikka yet.

I have several that could be considered generic though in order to fit the bill as "back up", it needs to be brought along, not left at home where they usually are. Even then, they are not purpose built but been there done that and finally retired friends of the past. Fortunately or unfortunately, depending on your view, my generic backup ends up being my truck gun, a well used by me Stevens single shot 12 ga with stock sleeve holding bird and slugs (and nothing but a brass front bead I don't really use anyway) which I'm still quite good with to 50 yards or so.
OK, so I'll admit to stretching the "generic" term for the shot gun as 200 yard shots are not going to happen but so far has fit the "backup" arena to my satisfaction. Even with a scope my area of big game pursuit has shrunk down to under 150 yards in my old age.. OK, again, I'm still stretching, more likely 100 yards and that's a hard swallow to admit .:(

I guess for me it would have to be my only "generic" rifle; A Tikka T3x Superlight .30-06. It's in a Manners ECS-EHT stock. I had the barrel threaded 1/2-28" for attaching my Griffen Armament Sportsman suppressor and I look through a Trijicon Accoupower 3-9x40, green illuminated scope.

I've worked up some good loads using Hammer bullets that take everything from blacktail deer through moose.

I keep trying to replace it with something else, but this thing is so light, compact and powerful enough to kill anything at ranges I'm comfortable killing at, I just haven't done it. .30-06 isn't sexy, but damnit, it works.

t3x.jpg

Last Edited:
Winchester Pre-`64 Model 70 action with XTR Featherweight barrel chambered in .30-06 Ackley Improved with a Nikon ProStaff 4x12 scope. Action mounted in a generic composite stock. It's light, handy, shoots 1/2" groups, and has enough power for anything I want to hunt.

IMG_20201007_174543624.jpg

My primary shooting iron is Red Death, a stainless T3 in 7mm-08.

My backup is a stainless T3 Superlite in 7mm-08.

Same mounts, same scope.

Both rifles shoot the same load and fired brass is interchangeable, so it all goes in the same bucket. Neck size, primer powder bullet.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top