JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
What was the standard rifle in 2003? The M4? Other than being select fire and made of aluminum/polymer, it's not that different in principle from a 1903. Makes me wonder how long it will take, even with our advanced technology, to really reach the next big thing.
Were VERY CLOSE to the next advancement, and I would guess that there are already new "Fire Arms" in development that we do not yet know any thing about! How they work, what "Ammo" they might use, Caliber and everything else! Rail Guns, Energy based, Chemically based, Laser based............? Who really knows!
Like I posted earlier, I think Rail Guns might be the next "BIG THING" as it's within reach and it's already proven possible in a large scale/extremely large power source, all we need to figure out is how to increase the power available in a small efficient package and it will change everything hereafter! No more powder, no more primer, no more casing, no firing pin, little if any noise outside the actual firing, and even then, what noise outside the projectile breaking the sound barrier, muzzle flash? Electric/Energy powered weapons will likely be the future for a long time to come, and I cant wait to see what comes out!

Probably......
It will soon become necessary, to get a lic just to make a prototype firearm or face incarceration.

So then.....
If/when that happens.....
I don't think that any future John Browning(s) would still want to even consider a future in firearms design.:eek:

Aloha, Mark

PS....now, let's bow our heads in prayer, while I read a verse from the GOOD BOOK.
Book_Of_Browning.jpg

To be honest here...
I really haven't seen much in the way development , lots of companies producing their version or spin of an idea of certain popular firearm designs...and lots of marketing hype for the next big thing...but little advancement.

Please note that I am not saying that it all began and ended with my favorites the muzzle loading firearm...or that only 100 + odd year old designs are the only good ones or worth being considered a development.
Many much newer firearms are very good designs and worth owning.

But...

Taking a look a gun store ...Just how , many different designs are there actually...?

I am not talking about different models of the same gun or even the quality of the gun itself...
But actual design developments that have been a radical change or vast improvement...
Which of course can be subject to one's bias and opinion....

A AR15 rifle , is pretty much the same gun as a AR15 Carbine...even with a change in the gas system...
A Glock is very much the same as another...just a different model...
Hell even a Colt made 1860 Army is little different from a well made Italian copy...
One Thompson Center "Hawken Rifle"...is very close to one made by Investarms...
Just how many Colt 1911A1 copies are being made...

And please note that I am not knocking any of the above firearms , there is nothng "wrong" with any of them...Just pointing out some popular designs , as examples...

To my eye there seems to be a whole lot of the same , but ours is different...And not enough of actual different developments in firearm design.

Now I do understand that gun stores gotta carry what sells...and my example may not be a overall indicator of firearm development...
But it may show just what level of development is actually practical.
Andy

It is really about capitalism. if there is no money to be made, there is no incentive to research and develop new designs. Why would a major fire arm manufacturer spend the money only to be able to sell to the goverment (if they were even chosen for a contract). I think what we will see going forward is simply the manufacturers trying to avoid negative press and selling what is popular to stay afloat.

I think in today's electronic world an EMP would be the greatest and most devastating weapon.
Especially to the western world, or against the gubment

A series of random and rapid electronic outages coupled with the "frying" or otherwise loss of the devices themselves , may indeed make much of the western world .....interesting...
Andy

Weapons advances are now coming from competition.

Look at the history of the EOTech and the Barrett. There has been no advancement in full auto technology since 1986 because the beta test market is GONE.

I believe that we will continue to see advancements in long range precision bolt actions, because just about everybody in just about every state or nation can buy the gear needed to compete.

Milk jug at 1,000 might become a standard qualification.

I am hoping for no significant changes.

Why?

Energy weapons, for instance, will be unobtainable expensive for most people. And, I would be many states outlaw them immediately preventing "common use" exceptions.

That will create further distances between civilian and military.

Alternatively if they are significantly better than traditional weapon, imagine the value of your guns, ammo, parts going to obsolete value!

I expect that the military will shelve caseless ammunition and will instead focus on laser weapons.

Agreed; caseless ammunition seems like an evolutionary dead end, small arms wise. It has been tried on and off, never perfected, and abandoned. The G11 was neat-o, but never came to fruition.

I am hoping for no significant changes.

Why?

Energy weapons, for instance, will be unobtainable expensive for most people. And, I would be many states outlaw them immediately preventing "common use" exceptions.

That will create further distances between civilian and military.

Alternatively if they are significantly better than traditional weapon, imagine the value of your guns, ammo, parts going to obsolete value!
First of all, energy weapons will most likely be utilized for celestial vessels and security there in where a projectile would be have too high a risk of compromising hull integrity. Maybe on a deep sea base, but you get the idea...
Second, projectile based weapons like what we have now will not be obsolete due to an energy weapon. Only armor or kinetic energy force fields could make them obsolete, which is even more advanced than energy weapons would be (especially portable).

Even if this energy weapon was capable of multiple simultaneous target acquisition, explosive technology available now is likely just as capable of neutralizing multiple targets (granted collateral damage is of no consequence).

All I'm saying is, rest easy knowing your AR will still suit your needs well into the future.
Might need to get a .458 SOC for the T800 series tho.
;)

I'm thinking caseless an avenue they will pursue, even if that means going with a rail gun. However, lasers will also be a huge priority as we progress into space. Lasers are pretty much useless on the ground, if you've ever looked into our missile defense system. Maybe in a hundred years or more, but we'll never see it.

A thought on obsolete...
Just because a firearm or cartridge is old...doesn't mean that it is obsolete....And what is obsolete in one part of the country or world , don't mean that its obsolete everywhere.
Obsolete to me at least , means that it really no longer has a use or you can't get something to make it work anymore.
Obsolete might be better termed for a propose rather than the item itself...
For instance I would not want to arm our Infantry of today with a 1861 rifled musket...but if I wanted a hard hitting reliable percussion gun for big game hunting....it would fit the bill nicely.

Take the flintlock rifle for example ( Oh boy here he goes again... :D )
Flintlocks have been around since the 1600's...Guns of this type are still made and used today.
One would be hard pressed to find a firearm action that has been made for that long and is still in use.
Old design for sure ...One that many folks would call obsolete...
But for many aspects of shooting , it works just fine...and parts and components are still available.

For a while in the late 1990's and early 2000's is was a bit of fad for certain gun writers call the .30-06 cartridge obsolete.
And again yep its an older cartridge for sure...it still gets the job done and there are plenty of rifles chambered for it , that are still in use...rifles both old and new.
Has it dropped in favor or popularity ...maybe , but that again don't take away its usefulness. or much if anything in its current availability.

The original 1860 Henry Rifle is a case of an item that is obsolete...
At one time it was an extremely advanced and popular rifle...it paved the way for many designs , both in cartridges and rifles.
But in its original chambering of .44 Henry , a rimfire cartridge , it is obsolete....As no one regularly makes ammo for it any longer.
Now a replica Henry in .44-40 , .45 Colt and such is a different matter..

So even when the next big thing hits the firearm world....don't be too quick to write off firearms and cartridges that have a long and proven track record.
Andy

Imagine a hollow bolt starting in the open position.

As the bolt moves forward, it is filled with oxygen and propane.

The bolt pushes a projectile into the chamber and locks into place.

A sparkplug fires in the back of the hollow bolt.

The burning gas pushes the round out the barrel. A gas piston returns the bolt to the open position.

On something of a tangent; I've seen some discussion of the application of metal 3D printing technology being utilized in the firearms industry or DYI field. That may have the potential to produce interesting new items.

A thought on obsolete...
Just because a firearm or cartridge is old...doesn't mean that it is obsolete....And what is obsolete in one part of the country or world , don't mean that its obsolete everywhere.
Obsolete to me at least , means that it really no longer has a use or you can't get something to make it work anymore.
Obsolete might be better termed for a propose rather than the item itself...
For instance I would not want to arm our Infantry of today with a 1861 rifled musket...but if I wanted a hard hitting reliable percussion gun for big game hunting....it would fit the bill nicely.

Take the flintlock rifle for example ( Oh boy here he goes again... :D )
Flintlocks have been around since the 1600's...Guns of this type are still made and used today.
One would be hard pressed to find a firearm action that has been made for that long and is still in use.
Old design for sure ...One that many folks would call obsolete...
But for many aspects of shooting , it works just fine...and parts and components are still available.

For a while in the late 1990's and early 2000's is was a bit of fad for certain gun writers call the .30-06 cartridge obsolete.
And again yep its an older cartridge for sure...it still gets the job done and there are plenty of rifles chambered for it , that are still in use...rifles both old and new.
Has it dropped in favor or popularity ...maybe , but that again don't take away its usefulness. or much if anything in its current availability.

The original 1860 Henry Rifle is a case of an item that is obsolete...
At one time it was an extremely advanced and popular rifle...it paved the way for many designs , both in cartridges and rifles.
But in its original chambering of .44 Henry , a rimfire cartridge , it is obsolete....As no one regularly makes ammo for it any longer.
Now a replica Henry in .44-40 , .45 Colt and such is a different matter..

So even when the next big thing hits the firearm world....don't be too quick to write off firearms and cartridges that have a long and proven track record.
Andy

I was trying to type on my phone before so my thoughts were not fully developed.

Advancements in armor technology will likewise be a expensive game changer. What happened to horse and buggy when the automobile became reliable and affordable? Same thing for conventional firearms I suspect. When ballistic armor (whether energy based, or materials based) becomes extremely affordable and common, guns will become less important. That might be 100s of years from now, but at some point, it will happen.

Just look at the relative fast advancements of woven fabric armor, ballistic glass, etc. At some point these materials will be every-day fabrics to defeat small calibers, then larger calibers.

Anyway, it's and interesting conversation. Likely, as I think about it, in my remaining 4-5 decades if I am lucky, I doubt that's going to make my guns "obsolete...".

Imagine a hollow bolt starting in the open position.

As the bolt moves forward, it is filled with oxygen and propane.

The bolt pushes a projectile into the chamber and locks into place.

A sparkplug fires in the back of the hollow bolt.

The burning gas pushes the round out the barrel. A gas piston returns the bolt to the open position.

Interesting theory. Almost like a C02 cartridge. I had a similar idea but a "hopper" of black powder that dispenses. Sort of moving back to separating the ammo from the case/primer. Just spit a bit of powder in from one chamber, and feed the bullet from another. Use a spark plug to ignite. But your idea, and mine, create different problems. Complexity, weight, and requires batteries. And holding a separate tank of powder, or propane - no thanks.

LMFAO I can imagine calling weapon company. It goes like this

Customer ... The stellar 5000 wont fire when charge is full

IT. Department..Have you tried turning it off and back on again????
Bwahaha

I remember a thread here a while back, with a video showing a prototype pistol from Eastern Europe if memory serves.

It had an internal side pivot hammer and a few other neat features. Truly a new and innovative design, wish I could find that thread...

Edit: found it, still want one! Inverted internal hammer, Alien pistol.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads