JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
As we head toward 2020, the firearms industry has largely becoming evolutionary rather than revolutionary. Manufacturing technologies, optics, etc., are all marching along nicely though. Handheld energy weapons systems have yet to come to come even close to fruition. But human inventiveness is limitless, so who knows what the future holds.

What developments do you foresee coming to the world of small arms?

I would like to see a development of effective non lead projectiles for older non steel shot rated shotguns and traditional muzzle loading firearms...also I would like to see these at a price point , where I don't need a second mortgage , just to get a box of ammo,

A return to more wood stocks and less plastic , would be a nice development too...

All that said ... I know that I am in the minority here...So I don't think that the above will happen.
Andy

Hopefully some day we'll have a M56 Smartgun.

ZdddncP.jpg
(And Pvt. Vasquez. :s0155:)

More seriously, with current technology I'm skeptical about energy weapons, but advanced targeting systems, more likely.

For private use, not much other than the refinement of technologies.
For the military, likely a lot of case-less stuff.

I would love a cheap lead alternative.

Small arms are incredibly effective. The problem with them is they are limited by the gorilla behind the trigger. I don't see a huge technological advancement coming in my lifetime; heck, there hasn't really been one since WWI era.

I see the main developments coming in the form of bombs, rail guns, and lasers in large scale applications.

Technological advancement is interesting for firearms....
Take for example the 1803 Harper"s Ferry Rifle...a .54 caliber , single shot , muzzle loading , flintlock rifle that was issued to the US Army...
A mere 100 years later we have the 1903 Springfield Rifle a .30 caliber , bolt action , breech loading , metallic self contained cartridge , magazine fed , bolt action rifle.

Hard pressed to see such advancement , in such a short time nowadays.
Andy

Hand Held Rail Gun technology will become available soon, and it will be a game changer if they can get the battery/energy density up high enough while keeping it portable! Lots of home builders have figured out how to make basic working systems that work very well, but again, its an energy density issue!

A return to more wood stocks and less plastic , would be a nice development

That would be nice to see....
.... manufacturers certainly seem to have reached the pinnacle of "mass-produced-ugly-sameness" using plastics (especially handguns).
While I understand the idea of shaving off a tenth ounce and I/16 inch to "beat" the competition, but can't they at least come up with a way to add wood grips?

I read somewhere that our military was considering researching and developing a non lead bio degradable bullet for small arms that has a flower seed in its core. Sort of a cool idea IMO especially if they'd be affordable enough for the consumer market. Quite a unique apporach to changing hearts and minds as well. Plus I'd feel a lot better about blazing away in the woods, not that I'm too worried about it.

Old dawg here again. I do miss the days of nice wood furniture on firearms. Yes, I do have a share of the plastic varieties. I keep thinking someone could come up with plastic that looks/feels like wood on a firearm. Heck, even my Daisy BB Gun had that. Reminds me of a "quote" from Henry Ford. He was asked about different colors for his vehicles. "They come in any color you want as long as it is black". Not much of a future forecast here. I think once "everybody" decides not to be a tactical operator - things could change. Saw an ad online recently for tactical underwear! Really?!? :s0114:

I could imagine caseless ammo. Perhaps something along the lines of some sort of polymer coating that is consumed upon firing the weapon. The primer being "cast" into the base of the ammo "module". Honestly, it wouldn't take much to come up with something along these lines.

Technological advancement is interesting for firearms....
Take for example the 1803 Harper"s Ferry Rifle...a .54 caliber , single shot , muzzle loading , flintlock rifle that was issued to the US Army...
A mere 100 years later we have the 1903 Springfield Rifle a .30 caliber , bolt action , breech loading , metallic self contained cartridge , magazine fed , bolt action rifle.

Hard pressed to see such advancement , in such a short time nowadays.
Andy
What was the standard rifle in 2003? The M4? Other than being select fire and made of aluminum/polymer, it's not that different in principle from a 1903. Makes me wonder how long it will take, even with our advanced technology, to really reach the next big thing.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top