JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Linky no worky.... hybrids are stupid... sorry im just very honest.

Matt

It was a BBC segment from the LA Car Show. Their automotive guy gave the car a great review, but it looks like the BBC got their knickers in a bunch about it being posted on youtube.

The car's not a hybrid. It's an all-hyrodgen fuel cell vehicle. Here's the BBC text article, not the LA Car Show piece (I would have thought they'd post the video).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7456141.stm

Hydrogen fuel cells are great...

Unfortunately generation of hydrogen is just as dirty as burning fossil fuels and is a net energy loss prospect at this point...

Generating any fuel is a net loss process. We just have to decide which is the lesser loss / greater gain.

Capturing Hydrogen doesn't have to be a dirty process. Water driven generators of electricity to break down water into hydrogen and oxygen is about as clean as it gets.

Pops

Generating any fuel is a net loss process. We just have to decide which is the lesser loss / greater gain.

Capturing Hydrogen doesn't have to be a dirty process. Water driven generators of electricity to break down water into hydrogen and oxygen is about as clean as it gets.

Pops

Yeah - but hydro power currently is less than 10% of the US generation of electricity... and to get enough power to break down enough hydrogen to power just the cars in the US you'd need to vastly INCREASE the US power grid...

... and a lot of the hydro dams are being decommissioned because of environmental concerns.

Nuclear power FTW.

Speaking of hydrogen, BMW has been pioneering the development in hydrogen engines for a while with their 750H models they've been producing since the 80s. The problem is that it's vastly underpowered unless it's equipped with their 12 cylinder engine. Lexus is now trying the same thing.

Regarding hybrids, it's MUCH more economically viable to purchase a used car it this point, particularly quality German cars. As long as one does their research, and purchases not only a particular make and model that has a known track record, but purchases the late, face lifted models with less issues, as well as being responsible enough to maintain it better than most with new cars.

It takes the equivalent of 1,000 gallons of gasoline to build a prius, this is called the carbon debt, and can be completely avoided by purchasing a quality used car. Besides, the quality of used cars are better anyways, and their debt has already been paid off. Personally, the big issue isn't the debt, but the fact that these cars aren't going away unless we MAKE them, as in throwing them away. Recycling has always been the first step, and people somehow think that building a large amount of new hybrids will help? The logic is not there

I'd rather have this,
dansrearmyfront.jpg

than this..

I agree with Charles, and I too vote for nuclear. Ever since I gave any thought to the alternative energy debate, electricity has been a no brainier for me. It all comes down to one word: flexibility. How many different ways are there to produce electricity? We already have the bulk of the infrastructure, upgrading the rest wouldn't take nearly as much as other options.

hybreds are stupid? if you think an engine spinning a generator that makes electricity to drive electric motors is stupid just what do you thing drives those locomotives?It really isn't a new idea. Electric is stupid it just moves the pollution to a coal burning power plant somewere out of sight. unless we go nuclear. hydrogen is the best we have at this time. however 10 square miles of new mexico desert could generate all the electricity we need if made into a solar generating site.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top