JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I don't get why people would want to push the envelope with that round,, isn't it already more powerful than most people can competently handle in the first place?
Damn good question. The round is already a cannon but I guess some have that Tim the Tool Man thing going? Got to be bigger no matter what? I noticed he was acting like he was really expecting a huge deal so have to wonder if he had not already fired some loads that were well above book. That one the gun just said no more.

A .460 S&W wheel gun and lever gun would be a heck of lot of whoopass. I'm good topping out at .44 mag in that combination (more rounds in the lever gun, too.)
Yeah, for a while I thought about getting a BHA lever gun in .460, but I don't really have a practical use for it. I already have a .45-70 Marlin. Also, the BHA would not feed .45LC from the mag, might feed .454.

I don't really have a need for .45-70 either, my BLR in .308 is about all I will ever need, but I wouldn't mind hunting a bison with the .45-70 Marlin.

I have both a 500 and 460 X-Frame revolvers in the same barrel length. Not bad recoil for the most part. Could have been Grizzly brand ammo. I bought some and they were so hot the cases stuck every time. They sent me replacement boxes but same thing. I'll never trust that brand.
Also, when I first got my 500 an "experienced" shooter wanted to shoot it. I told him to go ahead. He wasn't a big guy and couldn't grip it well and under the recoil of the first trigger pull it sent a second round up at a 45deg angle. Was a double, he never knew it but I heard it and stopped him to verify, yep only 3 rounds left. That was my first knowledge of it. From now on when someone asks to shoot it, they get a single round.

Also, when I first got my 500 an "experienced" shooter wanted to shoot it. I told him to go ahead. He wasn't a big guy and couldn't grip it well and under the recoil of the first trigger pull it sent a second round up at a 45deg angle. Was a double, he never knew it but I heard it and stopped him to verify, yep only 3 rounds left. That was my first knowledge of it. From now on when someone asks to shoot it, they get a single round.
People have died doing that...
https://www.mrcolionnoir.com/woman-...ng-herself-in-the-head-at-missouri-gun-range/

That's what I found out after it happened. Hence the reason for my hard rule.
I have a friend that bought a Ruger Super Redhawk .44 mag with a stupid light trigger pull, I told him to single load or skip every other chamber when he first took it out, it turned out to be a good idea. Also told him he should put the stock springs back in the gun and call it a day.

The most I ever want to push is +P .45 colt (which I don't even need, just sneeze at the bears in NC and they'll run away), I don't want to imagine what even hotter .500 S&W will do.

A real head scratcher here. Looks like no damage to the top strap of the action, which is normally from an overzealous load. Couldn't see the cylinder, but looks like the yoke just cam unlocked and swung out. The barrel just left the frame. Kinda cool. A guy showed me a picture of a S&W 629 Mountain gun that he hatched. He was shooting CorBon loads. First thing I asked him was if the loads were for a revolver or carbine / rifle. That can make a big difference.

What's the story with this gun? What gun is it? Was cause determined? Looks like factory ammo box on table. Could have had reloads in the box though.
View attachment 1370547
View attachment 1370538
Does anybody recognize the ammo box and does that one bullet on the table standing upright look like factory loads for that box (vs home made reload)?
View attachment 1370557
Factory loads. Also above 0 chance barrel was overtorqued, was hoping someone else would have chimed in but at this point I haven't seen any other answer.
No thank you with the pressures involved in 500 S&W, .460, or 454, just too high for me. Ruger .480 out of a Super Redhawk fits the bill at big bore with low pressure. Ruger put extra steel right where that broke for a reason on the Super Redhawk.

View attachment 1370634 View attachment 1370635
That's less to do with the round and more to do with the original redhawks also having problems with overtorqued barrels leading to the "front fell off" scenario so to speak. By the time the super redhawk came out they changed the lube they used and no more overtorqued barrels, mostly (I mean if you pump thousands and thousands of guns out I'd imagine something slips by eventually).
I don't know about .500 mag, but .460 mag seemed quite controllable to me.
Allegedly .460 recoils a bit more but idk. I need to get a snub nose in both to test this out.

Factory loads. Also above 0 chance barrel was overtorqued, was hoping someone else would have chimed in but at this point I haven't seen any other answer.

That's less to do with the round and more to do with the original redhawks also having problems with overtorqued barrels leading to the "front fell off" scenario so to speak. By the time the super redhawk came out they changed the lube they used and no more overtorqued barrels, mostly (I mean if you pump thousands and thousands of guns out I'd imagine something slips by eventually).

Allegedly .460 recoils a bit more but idk. I need to get a snub nose in both to test this out.
Mine was a 460V - a 4-5" barrel with comp on the end; 4" rifling/barrel, 1" comp. Much more controllable/pleasant than my 329PD with even just .44 Special loads, but it weighed 2X+ as much too - so there is that also.

I have both a 460 and a 500 and I can assure you that the 500 wins every contest in the recoil dept.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top