JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi all
I been away quite a while.
What with nasty health issue, ah nothing really, just a couple strokes and kidney cancer, ahhh, what the hell.

We closed the shop in Newberg in Oct 2013 and moved the operation up to the ranch to allow us to have some time to our selves and not have to run a store front 6 days a week.

We are still available to do transfers and such and sales, and the phones are still the same.

Enough of that stuff.

After my stroke I really wanted a pistol that has a lower recoil as my right hand is still a little weaker than previous.

I had been thinking about the Five Seven and decided recently to get after it.
I have nearly everything together to reload it and recently got a Blackhawk serpa carry holster.

Just need the pistol now. (Small detail) :D

Davidsons is our main supplier for the shop over the years and are currently out of stock.

Just bored with most guns anymore and still have a desire to own a five seven.

I had one of the original IOM models but sold it a few years back. ahhh well.

Looking forward to loading this little cartridge, should be fun.

Been a while since the good old days of running off a couple thousand rounds to head out for IPSC matches, gawd I miss that stuff.

Anyway, hi to all.

Last Edited:
Thanks

Having been in the Bizzz for a long time tends to breed periods of boredom with guns in general, other than taking care of our customers needs.

Having shot the 5.7 before, I remember that it was a real pleasure to shoot, the only thing I wish was that there was a compact version.

I have been carrying a Glock 32 (357 sig) for some time now and its a lovely piece. Also carry a Taurus 738 (380) (Summer carry)

The Taurus 380 is ok, but just a bit wanting in many areas.

The 5.7 has a lot to give in so many areas, the biggest plus is 20 round mags standard and the light weight.

I won't open the ballistics thing with bigger vs smaller bullets is better.

Just not interested in that debate.

I finally got hold of a shell plate for the 5.7 yesterday. I have a wall rack full of plates for the Piggyback progressive but did not have the #45 plate.

We tooled over to Cabela's yesterday and picked up some supplies for this endevour. Got small rifle primers, 40 grain Vmax bullets, and a few other items.

I was surprised to see an entire aisle with multiple shelves full of powder, hmmmmm, further snooping revealed there to be almost NO pistol powder at all.

All sizes and brands of primers and bullets up the ying yang, but no pistol powder ???????????

Did some snooping online at the larger wholesale houses and the same thing there, NOTHING

All is not lost as I have plenty of powder for the 5.7 and most other calibers we have shot in the past.

Even got a brick of 22LR :)

This entire shortage thing is a real PITA
First it was ammo, then primers, bullets and now powder.

Somebody has got to have a warehouse sized pile at home.

I got a call at the shop the other day, some dude wanting "Gun Powder"
I asked him what kind (Brand, pistol/rifle, particular ##) and there was a long pause, then "Ahhhhhh, it does not matter, just gun powder"

I asked him if he needed primers???? His response was "What are those" ???

HORDERS that have no effing idea WTF they are buying or what to do with it.

Ahhhh well, the issues are only going to get worse me thinks.

Keep your powder dry
:s0010:

I have thought about the Five-Seven and the 5.7x28 cartridge in general, in both rifle and pistol.

Besides the obvious things - the low recoil, lightweight, sharing a cartridge between pistol and rifle, the high capacity of the mags, I have a family member who has a medical condition and general inexperience with shooting, that would be better served by the 5.7x28 due to muscle control and issues with nerves controlling muscles (it is not going to get better, there is no cure, and exercises won't help).

The problems are:

a) I don't think the pistol is very ergonomic. I don't like the pistol grip and the size of the grip is large.

b) I definitely don't like the curved grip on the rifle - I've not shot one yet, but I have handled it at gun shows. I love bullpups, and if it had a different grip I probably would have gotten one a long time ago.

c) The ammo. Expensive, not particularly popular, and not the easiest to reload. For a SHTF firearm this makes it not the best choice IMO.

Just the same, I keep wanting to like it and get one rifle/pistol combo. If there was a different bullpup in that chambering I would consider it. I know about the AR57, and I like that too, I just wish it was a bullpup.

I also prefer that all of us (myself and two members of my family that prep with me and that I prep for) have the same handgun/rifle and ammo. Currently we do. If I got the 5.7x28 for the one person then that would mean the rest of us would need to go that route too.

Agreed
The Five Seven is a large frame gun, its fat, the safety is in a really goofy spot.

The ammo is easy to get, albeit not cheap.
Reloading is no biggy, just need to use good reliable data and stay in the groove, not out on the fringe of things.

It loads like any bottle neck case.

Unless you plan on shooting it a bunch, the factor loads are fine, especially for defense.

NEVER CARRY A HANDLOAD.

No its not a reliability thing.

The low recoil is a real plus.
The gun has a very very very low failure to operate ratio. (good thing)

Nobody is going to survive a COM hit with this round.

The Fort Hood incident is an example Sadly enough.

The gun is spendy at a Grand plus and then the gear to go with it.

Rapid and easy second shot +++ very good.

Accuracy to 100 yds, far better than anyone needs for CCW

Tough call.

I'm am willing to use it.

An awesome and worthy endeavor. And I'm glad you're still kickin'!
One thing I think I've heard about that round that perhaps makes it a bit more challenging/pesky is that the whole cartridge proper is lacquered/lubed so as to work nicely in fluted chambers.
Good luck and please keep us up to date with particulars.

I love my 5.7. Like anything a little different, a little practice makes the ergonomics second nature.

Why do you not want to carry hand loads?are you concerned about a liability issue?

I love my 5.7. Like anything a little different, a little practice makes the ergonomics second nature.

Why do you not want to carry hand loads?are you concerned about a liability issue?
The same reason everyone sends their knives to the factory for re-sharpening, you fool! lawyers these days and all..

Not using hand loads >>>>>>>
Barristers, attorneys, lawyers, councilors, sharks, bottom feeders, or whatever you choose to call them.

"Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, Mr/Ms Doe was so into a kill state of mind the he/she had to construct ammunition that was MORE POWERFUL than the factory materials, all to make it MORE LETHAL."

Or some such BS, all to assassinate your character and turn the juries focus away from the reason for the trial, which would be to ascertain whether lethal force was justified and that you acted appropriately in dispatching some maniac.

Many years ago a well known individual used an AC 556 Ruger to drop 2 felons that were trying to kill him and his lady friend.

The attorney based his case on only the fact that a machine gun had been used, not whether lethal force was justified.

Happily the sitting judge stopped the dog and pony show and the case ended as it should have and the fellow was acquitted of any wrong doing.
AND HIS AC 556 WAS RETURNED.

I was told this story by the individual involved and also read about it in an article by a well known magazine writer.

Does anyone here know who this is about and what he does ????

Use factory rounds.

The mindset of the attorney is to try and prove you were blood thirsty and desired bullets that were as lethal as possible.

"You wanted to kill somebody"
"You were just hunting for an excuse"
You wanted a reason to kill and so you sat in your den, hand crafting each killer load with loving care.

It's all BS but a jury that knows nothing about defense, and likely would not squash a nasty A$$ed spider to save their bacon from rotting in hell will believe any spin the shark tosses out there.

In my case, my lawyer can say, "My client carries the same gun and loads as is used to protect the president".

Hard to spin that very far eh ???

Uh-huh, like my stash of ammo is "too much", too?

I do lovingly craft my ammo and I have a 0% failure rate. I plan for that to continue in the event I call upon them to defend myself!

Gawd, here we go.
I knew Zombies would arrive sooner or later:eek:

In all seriousness, the hand loads most of us craft are just as good, if not better than factory and can be adjusted to the particular guns "sweet spot"

Still, don't hang your A$$ out for some clown attorney to kick, carry factory loads in the CCW piece.

Today's litigious society will grasp at anything to try and get a conviction for anything.

We all understand that the fact that reloaded or custom ammo makes zero difference in the overall outcome of a defense shooting, and an attacker that's been neutralized is the intended outcome.

I hold total disrespect for any attorney that will try and get some puke off by using INSANITY as a defense.

Duhhhhh, anyone than goes to the movies to gun down innocent folks has to be Effed in the head.

Does not matter, the act is all that counts.

Innocent folks died, so the act is all that's needed to convict.

You save innocent life, yours or someone else's, then there need not be anything more than a modest hearing to ascertain the facts of the issue.

Sadly this is not how it works in the real world.
The good guys get treated like criminals in many cases and railroaded by some scum bottomfeeder just to springboard their career.

I know folks who carry no less than 3 guns at any one time, and this could certainly be construed as excessive.

A backup gun is always a good idea, then a little hideout boot gun is a plus too.

When does it go a bridge too far ???

I am quite happy with a 10 to 20 round carry, plus a 5 round backup, then a 2 round derringer in my boot.

Switch the roles and the anti's would find this appalling :eek:

Bottom line, don't be outrageous in your carry or your equipment.

Don't carry some chrome plated pearl handled do dad with Scum Getter engraved on the barrel.

Gonna look crass.

And of course we all understand that a BLACK GUN is just pure EVIL :rolleyes:

This entire charade that is being portrayed about guns and defense by the anti's is just BS anyway, buuuuuttttttt, they seem to have the medias ear.

Carry factory rounds in a reliable gun that you can afford to lose.

It's a good bet that after all the trial and other fall de rall your fancy custom 1911 carry piece will have gone missing from the police property room anyway. (YES IT HAPPENS) and far more often than you might think.

Be conservative
Carry factory rounds

Maybe carry a pink gun.

You will likely never need to use it.
The scum will laugh them selves to death when you pull it out :D

Factory rounds folks.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show