JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The ship, the Jacob Jones, was a Tucker-class destroyer that was sunk on December 6, 1917, after being struck by a torpedo while traveling to Ireland from France.

The Jacob Jones, under the command of David W. Bagley, was hit by a torpedo from a German submarine while traveling from Brest, France, to Queenstown, Ireland. Sixty-four men of the 110-man crew died when the ship went down, including two officers. Within eight minutes of being struck, the ship had sunk, making it the first destroyer to go down in American history, according to Naval History and Heritage Command.

World War I Destroyer, Named After American Naval Hero, Found 100 Years After Being Sunk

Wow. Good stuff. I deployed with a battle group that included the USS BAGLEY (FF 1069) - named after Admiral Bagley -- back in the early '80s.
Though Bagley and his crew worked frantically to save the ship, it went down within eight minutes, carrying 64 crewmen with it. Bagley and 37 others made it into the icy water in boats and on rafts, and, thanks to the humanitarian gesture by Kapitänleutnant Hans Rose, the U-boat commander who radioed their location to Queenstown, they were all picked up by the 8th. Bagley earned the Navy Distinguished Service Medal for his part in handling the situation.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_W._Bagley#World_War_I

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top