JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
In what could be a first, American Tactical is set to release the first polymer AR15 upper receiver assembly to match with its Omni Hybrid polymer lower.
SHARE ON:
Christian LoweOctober 1, 2014
Omni-Hybrid-Upper.jpg
One of the leaders in the polymer AR lower market his revealed it will soon be producing an upper receiver using the same lightweight, steel reinforced material in an upper.

Shooting Sports Retailer got a first look at a prototype version of the Omni Hybrid upper during a writer's event hosted by the Blue August PR agency down near Orlando, Florida. While the edges are rough and the details have yet to be ironed out, the polymer AR upper looks just as sturdy as the Omni Hybrid lower, using the same steel inserts around the barrel nut threads area that the lower uses for the buffer tube interface and a steel strip shielding the top of the upper from the bolt and carrier group.

Omni says they plan to offer the all polymer AR in a rifle and pistol configuration by the beginning of 2015. The rifle will cost around $599 and it'll be called the Omni Maxx.

I dont understand why anyone would buy a poly lower. Seems like a silly thing to me. The only lower I had any experience with broke the buffer tube boss off after less than 20 rounds. That told me everything I need to know about poly

I'd be interested to see the street price. I can walk into more than a couple stores in the Portland area and walk out with a rifle that costs pretty close to $599. I can build my own for close to that as well, less if I wait for sales. At $399 I could see a market for these maybe - I'd still wait for reviews though.

Even if we set aside the matter of durability, there is the matter of handling and recoil characteristics. If it is as manageable in use, I suppose there isn't a problem, but I see no reason to cut weight if it slows follow up shots for common users*. It would be interesting to shoot with some to check it out.

*in a defensive application, as opposed to 1/minute range pace where it's clearly irrelevant.

I'd be interested to see the street price. I can walk into more than a couple stores in the Portland area and walk out with a rifle that costs pretty close to $599. I can build my own for close to that as well, less if I wait for sales. At $399 I could see a market for these maybe - I'd still wait for reviews though.
That is the street price of new Poly lower ARs. I have one, it has yet to break, not that I use it in a combat role

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top