JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Yesterday, one of my wife's co-workers asked me to direct him to a reputable source for an "assault rifle." Not an AR. Not an AK. Not a Mini-14 or something more uncommon—just an "assault rifle."

"What do you want it for?" I asked.

"To have around, you know, just in case." It also came out that he wasn't going to tell his raving liberal wife. (I'd like to be a fly on the wall for when that discovery inevitably occurs.)

Turns out he wants one because he wanted to be ready for the standard issue societal disorders and the like. Name an acronym for these scenarios of your choosing and he'd been pondering it.

I told him he didn't need a black rifle, "Not yet anyway. You need to start with a handgun you can better hide from your wife if that's really your plan."

"But what if Congress or the Legislature bans assault weapons?"

"You still don't need one. If you want one that's a different story."

"What do you use?" Like we were discussing condoms or something.

"I carry a Beretta PX4, and my main long gun is a either a Mossberg 590 or my 590A1 depending on where in the house I am."

Then I had to explain that though I had rifles, including a couple he would want right there if he could buy them off me, that they were safe queens. "I don't need them to defend myself, that's a fantasy directly from the net for us city folks unless you have livestock or acres of property to defend that I don't know about" I told him. "I have mine only because I am a veteran familiar with the M-16 and M-4 series rifles AND there are a lot of people out there who simply don't want me to have them, but you still don't need one, especially during panic buying season where you might get gouged."

I ended the convo by telling him the best reason to get an AR is not the net fantasies he'd picked up, but to make them harder to ban, but he should get a concealable duty caliber handgun first.

Am I wrong?

If he wants a rifle he can get a rifle of course. If I knew him well enough I'd invite him to the range and bring a few styles of handguns, shotgun, and a few rifles for him to try including something in a larger caliber. I'd do some education on safety and better education on what guns are. And then let him decide what he wanted.

Great chance to get someone educated on firearms and turn them into an enthusiast

While I firmly believe any rifle (or object) used to assault is an assault X, my ARs are "fun" rifles and "protection" rifles. Just like teaching someone to ride a motorcycle, you don't scare them and ask if they want to try. You teach them and show them that TV is a joke. There's nothing to fear with guns.

Boats;
Trustable, level-headed, sincere folks like you are going to win them over one at a time.
As Bolus and slowpoke suggest, a session with a .22 may be the start of something good.
Invite his spouse to go along with you and your spouse.
Plan to keep the session short, then go for lunch, see where the discussion goes.

Folks like that make me nervous.
Maybe they are well meaning, but its like buying a 1100cc crotch rocket because you think you want to learn to ride a dirt bike...
When i have these people enter my life, first things first is invite them to a conversation about what they think they "need" and talk to them to get some information.
Then maybe we head to a gun store and put some different guns in their hands, see what the first reaction is. If they dont like the way it feels in their hands, they will hate to shoot it and it wont be fun at all. First impressions and such...
If we are still friends at this point, I will say lets head to the range and see what works for you. Then I always try to get them to a training class, something very beginner level and not too far out of their way.
The last thing I advise anyone is what to buy.

I probably would have spent a little time talking about the proper nomenclature, but if he gave you a scenario in which he envisioned using his firearm for defensive means, the most practical firearm platform would be a pistol.

If he didnt own any firearms previous to this conversation, a pistol would be the right choice for him, THEN a long arm. I do support the fact that he is wanting to get a firearm to be a better prepared citizen, I can respect that. Id also tell him (if he is genuinely worried about a ban) to maybe just pick up a lower and some standard capacity magazines (again, school him of the difference of a magazine and a clip and what standard capacity is over "hi capacity".)

From there he should research the heck out of the AR rifle and choose a set up he likes, after that (If I was you) Id offer to help him build his own.

When people build their own rifle from the ground up it gives them a much better understanding and appreciation for the firearm at hand, in this case a rifle.
It seems overwhelming at first for a new person.. But Im sure with enough coaching and guidance he'll be set on the right path.

And if his rabid liberal lover sees the lower and the process it takes.. maybe, just maybe it (she) can learn too.

Last Edited:
Fortunately these types never intrude upon my life, not since I dumped my ex...
As for introducing others to the manual of arms. especially those married to a screaming Liberal, that is a clear violation of OPSEC. I've no desire to experience what it was like to be a Jew in 1940s Europe (or today). Liberals 'fear' of guns is a smoke screen, they just hate guns in the hands of their victims...
th?id=OIP.M4a3beab815eca7090536ed0e7aaf1f76o0&pid=15.1&P=0&w=232&h=165.jpg

my boss was asking me about guns a while backing asking what he should get.

He's the type of guy that I wouldn't trust changing a light bulb, so I tried my best to steer him towards learning gun laws and getting some training before he bought a gun.

If your main interest isn't learning the laws and safety you shouldn't get into guns.

First things first, careful how you word things.

That aside, should have just spent time explaining what an assault rifle is and why he can't own one (that is made post 1986). After that, get him to learn safety and the laws. However, don't suggest that he doesn't need a certain gun, that's really up to the individual after all that talk about safety and suggestions and all. Its not like he was talking about getting a .50 BMG as a first gun or anything.

You worded your sentence in a double negative (no, he can't, yes he can.)
I'm saying he can if he wants one if his state says yes and he's not a felon.

I didn't word my sentence in a double negative. There's a period after the yes, signifying that sentence ended. I was just adding extra information on what would be required to own one. Such as, it being made before 1986.

Edit: Made, registered, and possessed before 1986.

Edit 2: Unless you meant in the previous post, in which case I cannot see what you were referring to.

Last Edited:
Tell anyone newly interested in firearms to hit Youtube or Wiki, do not expose yourself, your family's safety may be at stakeo_O. Let the Professionals at the gunstore and at the range/NRA assume all risk Do NOT assume that all PPL that approach you are not lookin for an excuse to sue your butt

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top