JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This afternoon I made a 'mock up' of a receiver sight for my PCC out of a piece of hard plastic, fitted tightly in one of rail slots and I drilled it and screwed a Williams receiver sight aperture into it.

This effectively doubles the sight plane distance and gives me a perfect sight picture with a clear and sharp view of the front sight. Also this allows me to use a smaller diameter aperture which aids in sharpening the view.

I will not have an elevation adjustment but I did equate the height of the stock ghost ring on the barrel and with a straightedge transferred it to my rear to determine where to drill the hole but this is mostly to just to test the effectiveness of a rear aperture sight so as long as its on paper that is all I need - and I hope it works out.

If it does I will be searching for a low profile receiver sight for it. There are many styles available but some are obviously too high and I would like to keep the stock front sight. Also a lot of them do not have replaceable apertures and I will need this ability.

We shall see what happens!

IMG_1698[1].JPG

Any update
Why yes there is!
So I loaded up some ammo with a bullet style I had never used before in 9mm - hard cast lead RN. The interesting thing about them is the RN forward portion is of smaller diameter than the base with a 'shoulder'. You see this a lot with .45 ACP cast but this is first I have in 9mm.
Regardless I went out last week and gave it a try with my 'mocked up' receiver peep sight and like before all over the paper.
Fast forward to this weekend. I put the barrel mount ghost ring back on, went out yesterday and well, I was all over the paper again - and this is with the stock sight on the barrel.
OK, while I previously did pretty good with the stock sight and plated bullets I suspect it does not like cast lead.

Now just to show it is not 'me' the following pic is a five shot group with my Henry .357 from 50 yards rested with a Williams receiver sight.
IMG_1744.JPG

Bottom line is I am loosing my patience and deciding on what to do.
I will probably get some plated or jacketed bullets, load up again and try it again with the stock sight which it will most likely do well with.

I am thinking I bought a gun that just isn't for 'me'. I never gave a thought to the takedown barrel as being something that would have an effect on accuracy with an off-barrel sight or scope on it.

There is a very good possibility a Ruger PCC may show up in the classifieds soon!

Look into CZ Scorpion rear sights. They are lower profile and have various apertures and adjustable for height.

2.jpg

Not that you haven't possibly done this already, but I'd also revisit tightening the barrel tensioner. I tighten mine to where it is just shy of difficult to separate the two halves.

That or crank down on it and never take it apart.

I tighten mine to where it is just shy of difficult to separate the two halves.
Did this already. Actually what I did do was remove the barrel and adjusted the tensioner incrementally until I got to the last point where I could still install it but its very tight - probably about to where you are.

I see that Ruger lists the twist rate of the PCC barrel as 1:10. Traditionally, 9mms such as the Browning High Power had such a twist rate that was substnatially quicker than almost all other handguns. Poor cast bullet accuracy was often attributed to the quick rifling stripping the soft bullet of its grooves formed by the rifling. Thus, it was pretty much like shooting a smooth-bore, or an undersized bullet. I believe that examining recovered bullets bore this out - no pun there, huh?

Just saw that. It may be that the PCC is just not suited for cast bullets. What I do know is that Bar-Sto, when they first made their SS match barrels for the Browning, slowed the rifling down to 1:16" and the accuracy improved greatly.

Something like Gallant bullets or other hard-coated bullets may work better than pure cast.

Just saw that. It may be that the PCC is just not suited for cast bullets.
This was my first thought after shooting it with the stock sight and seeing the results.
Now, my CZ 75 shot these bullets very well and I was surprised so they will get shot up in it!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top