JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
this is a long shot (pun intended) as Im not certain any documentation exists on this question but....
Does anyone know the origin of the phrase "gun violence" as well as when govt agencies like the FBI started using it in their research? What phrase was used before "gun violence" became a label or has gun violence been used since the invention of guns?

I cannot answer with any degree of certainty however it seems I have only seen/heard the term from say maybe from 10 (or fewer) years ago to the present of increased anti gun proliferation.

I cannot answer with any degree of certainty however it seems I have only seen/heard the term from say maybe from 10 (or fewer) years ago to the present of increased anti gun proliferation.
yup, this is why Im asking and curious. Ive always assumed it was invented by the media and the gun control lobby but just hoping for some sort of evidence to support that claim.

The notion is as old as the idiocy that the gun is the dangerous thing, not the hominid wielding it.
However, it's emergence as an ubiquitous term among the "woke" can likely be traced to echo chambers like Facebook.
JMO.

I was trying to guess which group of biddies came up with it, seems it was around that time frame! Moms Demand, Giffords, some such group of activists! I seem to remember Finestine involved too!

I was trying to guess which group of biddies came up with it, seems it was around that time frame! Moms Demand, Giffords, some such group of activists! I seem to remember Finestine involved too!
yeah, agree. I'm gonna roll with Giffords Law Center, 1993. This is credible evidence the phrase was intentionally biased and not likely anyone disagreeing will be able to dig up any other history from a bipartisan source.
I love facts in debates... :)

the 94 AWB is a good metric... which led me to this....
Hers something, the Giffords Law Center to Prevent "Gun Violence" was founded in 1993...

if this is the first official use of the word it confirms my position that the term "gun violence" was invented by the gun control lobby.

Without a doubt wholly contrived by the gun grabbers to frighten the birthing people into donating money to the cause and starting groups like Birthing People Demand Action and having events like the Million Birthing People March. Worth noting, 'gun control' is no longer the acceptable term d'art, it is now known as gun safety. Hey bubblegumholes, I learned real gun safety when I was eight years old and my grandpa wouldn't let me touch a firearm until I could recite the Four Rules from memory. They figured out the word 'control' had negative connotations so they contrived this false narrative about safety. I mean what kind of monster would oppose "safety" ????

Violence is a act that requires one to have the willingness to engage in it.
Kinda like safety , ironically enough.

Gun violence , I also seem to remember hearing this term first in the early 90's.
But then I was a bit busy with four combat tours from 1989 , 1990/91 , 1992 and 1993....
All which featured both violence and safety.

However none of any of the above had "gun violence"....as a gun is just a gun and does nothing by itself.
A gun is not deadly , dangerous , or violent....its just a gun.
A person , if they are willing to be , can be deadly , dangerous and violent...or safe....all with gun...
Or anything else they choose.

I dislike the term gun violence and try not to use it , expect , as in the above , to explain why I don't agree with or like the term.
Andy

Super surprised that an attempt at Googling it got me absolutely nowhere.

Good laughs to be had.
The Maxwell museum of anthropology referring to " shootings involving guns".
Lol . Someone with a master's degree probably wrote that.

Maybe it's just the way you hear the 2 words spoken constantly that has irritated us.

I know Portland started using it in place of gang violence and, of course, the media glommed onto it.

i.e. gang violence task force became gun violence task force.

I think it started back in 93 after that loony shot up a law office in San Francisco
The Law Center To Prevent Gun Violence that later tacked on the Giffords name to cash in on that tragedy.

Their use of the "gun violence" phrase is diabolically smart as it turns out because of its constant use nowadays, the sheeple automatically assume violence whenever they hear the word gun.

Their plan is working.

yeah, agree. I'm gonna roll with Giffords Law Center, 1993. This is credible evidence the phrase was intentionally biased and not likely anyone disagreeing will be able to dig up any other history from a bipartisan source.
I love facts in debates... :)
the Giffords shooting was actually January 8, 2011, so this from Wiki:

"In January 2013, she and her husband launched Americans for Responsible Solutions, a non-profit organization and Super-PAC which later joined with the Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence to become Giffords."

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top