JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Economy fell apart.
No trucks delivering food to Safeway or WinCo.
Martial law.

About this time, maybe 1 step sooner. We are out of Portland. Even if we cant take 1/4 of our stuff. Its better to be on the outside of this city looking in instead of being smack dab in the middle wishing we would have left sooner.
Agreed.

I am thinking they happen all at the same time. Before one has the chance to bug-out.

I'm thinking "Bug-Out" is not an option for this scenario.

I am thinking they happen all at the same time. Before one has the chance to bug-out.I'm thinking "Bug-Out" is not an option for this scenario.

Seems to me the majority of people on this forum are not the kind of people who are likely to run for the hills at the first sign of trouble (any kind of trouble). So I'll wager most will end up staying right where they are (at least initially) if a major event of some sort occurs (even though at this point they think they will be bugging out ahead of the fleeing masses).

What about "Bugging Over"? I live in the city, but we have family approx. 15 miles outside of town, that'd be easier to camp out and fortify, if needed, and most of our supplies can be transported in one trip?
As opposed to "Bugging Out"...I guess it depends on definition.

In - stay put
Out - pack up and leave city/town areas
Over? - pack up to a rendezvous point, and stay put in numbers?

Or i'm on a weird tangent that makes sense in my head...

We try and keep about 3/4 to a whole cow in the freezers, we have a ton of fire wood (50-60 cords), all the tools we would need and a lot of gunns and ammo! I actually plan to start cutting down the biggest trees I see along the road, making them into big road blocks. We have many supplies. I live a ways from town too. I am in the process of getting my "arms department" all in order, going for basic, reliable, and simple. No extra scopes or lights, just good ol' AKs, Shotguns, and Bolt Guns! Plus a couple levers too.

Agreed.

I am thinking they happen all at the same time. Before one has the chance to bug-out.

I'm thinking "Bug-Out" is not an option for this scenario.

Well then. Daily prayer for help from God and Jesus would be #1. Then try and keep my family alive as long as possible. I wouldn't tell anyone about what supplies we have. I would keep everyone indoors. Board up all the windows excepts for small looking holes. Barricade the doors. I would have a plan of escape if we had an uncontrolled fire or needed to leave. My wife and I would take turns sleeping and keeping watch. I would look for a time to try and bug out. It would be hard.

What about "Bugging Over"? I live in the city, but we have family approx. 15 miles outside of town, that'd be easier to camp out and fortify, if needed, and most of our supplies can be transported in one trip?
As opposed to "Bugging Out"...I guess it depends on definition.

In - stay put
Out - pack up and leave city/town areas
Over? - pack up to a rendezvous point, and stay put in numbers?

Or i'm on a weird tangent that makes sense in my head...

In real martial law you may be searched on the way out and your goods and weapons confiscated. Better to store them at your family's location in advance

Sit back and hope someone tries to enter my property to rob me. They'll make good jerky.

I keep seeing stuff like this..

But who are we kidding? We are not tasty.. Wild animals eat nice and natural foods. All most people eat is fast food, junk food or frozen food... This stuff isn't tasty to begin with, much less after it's been "processed" into the tissue of people...

Just a thought..

Arkarayne, below, has been to and in my home. He knows I'm not joking and he's not joking about not trying to rob me. :)

We see deer and wild turkeys and ducks and geese on our property almost every day, and yet I'll bet they'll be gone in no time. While we have a very good supply of SHTF items, long term I believe that most people don't know what they'd do to survive.

It's easy to be philosophical on a full stomach in a civil environment, but the only things I know for a fact I'd never do just to survive is to kill or injure someone except in self defense, or steal their provisions.

I wouldn't rob you, I'd tell people I didn't like to try it.

-snip-

Arkarayne, below, has been to and in my home. He knows I'm not joking and he's not joking about not trying to rob me. :)

We see deer and wild turkeys and ducks and geese on our property almost every day, and yet I'll bet they'll be gone in no time. While we have a very good supply of SHTF items, long term I believe that most people don't know what they'd do to survive.

It's easy to be philosophical on a full stomach in a civil environment, but the only things I know for a fact I'd never do just to survive is to kill or injure someone except in self defense, or steal their provisions.

Agreed, it's one thing to talk, it's another when the situation is literally right in front of you. Best you can do is "Be the better human."
Survive -> Revive -> Deprive -> ..can't think of a word for it that ends in -ive lol, but, becoming that post-apocalyptic warlord.
Every human starts at "Survive" One can only hope most will stop at "Revive", restoring the world to a better place, but there'll be those that wish to "Deprive", take the nicest toys, maybe leave people alive.. then there's the "Conquer"ers.. who want everyone's stuff, and will kill to do it.
..One of those random thoughts of mine again. lol.

But yeah, 95% of people will most likely end up in the care of the 3% who are, at least, self-smart and educated enough to survive, leaving the 2% who are actually ready for the long haul, to keep things together, and clean up the mess later... with a large portion of that 95% ending up in the history books as the "Lost".
Most of us here, most likely, are at least part of that 5%, or, working on joining it. It's up to us to be the "Better Humans", and, trust me, being "Better" isn't always going to be the "right" thing, but the "needed" thing.

..ok random rant for the day complete. >.>

Yes Gunner, you'd be the last house..well, last mountain, I'd mess with. I've got my own little creek valley to fortify, lol

And as far as "your supplies getting confiscated", it was either this or another thread I suggested the "3 things to practice"
1: Alternate Routes
2: Quick/Tetris Packing
3: Got Wood?

Speed, or stealth. Either get out before the roadblocks, or avoid them altogether in a pre-planned route (not just ONE either, have at least 3.) Even have one or two for getting from your Work, or Friend's Place, to X location.
PS: For Deity's Sake, don't use main roads unless you have to.. I-5 or a highway, BAD idea. that 95% i mentioned will make those roads useless.

In real martial law you may be searched on the way out and your goods and weapons confiscated. Better to store them at your family's location in advance

In the event of Martial Law, no one will go anywhere carrying firearms and or ammo. There will be checkpoints to go through, and searches.

Even though I've done some preparing, I'll still rely on God to get me through anything that comes along. Phillipians 4:19- "And my God will supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus."

Now, I know some of you don't believe the Bible, and that's fine, that's entirely up to you. I, however, have seen miracles firsthand, and know that He not only exists, but loves us.

Yes Gunner, you'd be the last house..well, last mountain, I'd mess with. I've got my own little creek valley to fortify, lol

LOL, thanks. :)

From your house to your bug out place you have more than one river to cross. The bridges will be blocked by rural folks wanted to seal off their areas, believe me. That includes Sam's Valley/E. Evans if you try to go around.

I'd be on google maps drawing a bee line because it isn't too far to walk. I'd use a compass or GPS (might not be working) and already be plotting my line. I'd buy one of those real cheapo almost toy inflatable kayaks and a plastic/aluminum paddle for my pack and a patch kit and plan on paddling across. You'd could even have a second one for towing gear. I'd have my (calm, smooth) crossings already chosen. I'd drive as far as I could and then ditch the rig forever if necessary.

You have a good place to go. Priority one is getting there. Nothing else matters, imho.

In the event of Martial Law, no one will go anywhere carrying firearms and or ammo. There will be checkpoints to go through, and searches.

Even though I've done some preparing, I'll still rely on God to get me through anything that comes along. Phillipians 4:19- "And my God will supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus."

Now, I know some of you don't believe the Bible, and that's fine, that's entirely up to you. I, however, have seen miracles firsthand, and know that He not only exists, but loves us.

Well, just don't forget that the apostle Paul who wrote your quote was most likely later beheaded in Rome by Nero's henchman. History says the even the Christ was crucified. Millions of Christians have been martyred since that quote was written and millions more have starved to death.

I'm not making fun of your beliefs, but "needs" may not mean earthly needs there. Even the earliest Christians put up stores in the storehouse and didn't count on someone else feeding them in lean times.

I'm just trying to survive and take care of my family until the inevitable happens.

Yeah there's a little bit of water in the way. But once i'm "over the river and through the woods" ...*cough* I should be in the clear. And I already know at least 5 ways to get there. ...yeah I should probably actually map them now though huh?

Agreed as well, Getting There, is priority one. In the "military/.gov blockade" scenario, It would be several hours following the major cites before they hit here. Not saying i'm relying on their inherent slowness, but it helps to have time. In the "zombie panic" scenario, depending on Panic Zero's location, again, time is a factor, same as the "invasion" or "final collapse" scenarios. Time.
..just don't sleep in on that day, lol.

Yeah there's a little bit of water in the way. But once i'm "over the river and through the woods" ...*cough* I should be in the clear. And I already know at least 5 ways to get there. ...yeah I should probably actually map them now though huh?

Agreed as well, Getting There, is priority one. In the "military/.gov blockade" scenario, It would be several hours following the major cites before they hit here. Not saying i'm relying on their inherent slowness, but it helps to have time. In the "zombie panic" scenario, depending on Panic Zero's location, again, time is a factor, same as the "invasion" or "final collapse" scenarios. Time.
..just don't sleep in on that day, lol.

Do you have "google earth?" If not, google for it, lol. It's a free proggy you download and install. It's amazing.

The trick is to know when to go/prepare. Most of us here are preparing in one way or another. But when and if it does happen, the final preparations will then begin to happen. Leaving, fortifying, getting your defenses up and running, bugging out/bugging in, or nothing. If/when that time comes, is when it gets real.

Gunner, I hope and pray that you will be able to keep your land and stuff, but you never know. We all know that there are always someone bigger, better and smarter then us. I have alot of survival stuff prepared but it can and possibly will be taken away from me and my family.

Survival from having nothing...that's what we really need to be ready and focused for.

Plan for the best , be ready for the worst!

The trick is to know when to go/prepare. Most of us here are preparing in one way or another. But when and if it does happen, the final preparations will then begin to happen. Leaving, fortifying, getting your defenses up and running, bugging out/bugging in, or nothing. If/when that time comes, is when it gets real.

Gunner, I hope and pray that you will be able to keep your land and stuff, but you never know. We all know that there are always someone bigger, better and smarter then us. I have alot of survival stuff prepared but it can and possibly will be taken away from me and my family.

Survival from having nothing...that's what we really need to be ready and focused for.

Plan for the best , be ready for the worst!

Thanks. The fact is, if I'm going to have it that rough, I plan to die right here. It's not just the land or the stuff. It's also the neighbors and the ability to collectively block and defend both ends of a narrow but paved loop road. It's unlimited clean water without pumping. It's where the family will come and some are too young or too old to travel. All four of us men have extensive firearms experience. My wife is an RN, MS.

We are fairly close to town but secluded in the hills. We have a commanding view of the valley. We stay here and live or die and we've all agreed.

100 years from now, it won't be an issue.

Thanks. The fact is, if I'm going to have it that rough, I plan to die right here. It's not just the land or the stuff. It's also the neighbors and the ability to collectively block and defend both ends of a narrow but paved loop road. It's unlimited clean water without pumping. It's where the family will come and some are too young or too old to travel. All four of us men have extensive firearms experience. My wife is an RN, MS.

We are fairly close to town but secluded in the hills. We have a commanding view of the valley. We stay here and live or die and we've all agreed.

100 years from now, it won't be an issue.

Wow, maybe a little too much thought put into this. What a way to live.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews