JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Imagine SHTF, family and worthwhile allies / friends move to your AOA

Then since no AC power you are using fire for light and heat - One of your crew's houses goes up in flames.

Not everything can be recovered, so now you have trusted, good allies, who are not fully armed.

I can see a case for a few spares of everything, on the "Two is one, and one is none" principle.

(Also, what if your primary weapon has a mechanical failure, you OK with being disarmed from then on?)

Oh, on watching movies, yeah. A rare few, the actors / actresses actually have a clue - the rest, blech. And continuity people, aieeeeeee...

I've seen one some time ago with a 1911 where over a few minutes of the movie the gun went from cocked and locked to cocked and unlocked and to uncocked, meanwhile the hammer kept going from a commander hammer to a gummint model one... Made me dizzy!

I get it. Every time I watch a movie about Rocket Science I get so frustrated with their lack of knowledge on the subject...
That's when people need to just acknowledge that entertainment and reality are indifferent to each other. The problem is, many people will watch entertainment and then think they are informed as a result.

Be prepared and willing to arm thy neighbor.

A few thoughts...

First, in a long term SHTF situation where security is an issue, the solitude strategy won't work. A typical family unit cannot hope to successfully defend a suburban or semi-rural home 24/7 in the long term on their own.

Defense must be considered at the neighborhood and/or community level. The time to deal with unwelcome visitors is before 3 or 4 SUVs full are unloading in your cul-de-sac at 3:30am. Distance is our friend.

Distance requires manpower, coordination and collaboration. Relationships and leadership are going to be paramount.

Caution is entirely warranted - agreed. That said, giving a firearm, ammunition, two pounds of rice and a few cans of chicken to a family in need can go a long way to building loyalty and adding an asset to the community.

I have several friends/acquaintances, families with younger children, very good people, that just don't have the attitude for preparing or self defense yet. The rose colored glasses syndrome is shockingly wide spread and a lot of people are likely in for some very rude awakenings.

Simplicity is key. Break open shotguns and snub nose revolvers can be hugely valuable and effective. As Bracken recently noted, the first two rounds of buckshot from a double barrel are every bit as good as coming from a Bennelli M4, plus more versatile if you need to switch between shot sizes quickly.

Food for thought. Equip your family first, but then be ready to grow your tribe. Those of us with the skill and experience will become teachers and leaders, much the same as the Operation Jedburgh teams of World War II.
This answer gives me hope brah and makes me proud as hell of you. 03s have wisdom that you can't find in a book and are to me the smartest people on the planet.
I'd like to say and didn't think about it until I gave you another read but a family that needs food and not great with a rifle pistol or shot gun would be worth there weight if they could signal and radio for the block party. If you have distance you have options.

I feel like I need to be a little more clear when I said basically no guns for the friends and family. I'm not buying "extra" guns. My guns are my guns. I don't want to be expected to be the neighborhood armory. That being said, if someone I trust has "got my back" I'd want them to have the tools to do so. More likely the ones I trust will have their own personal firearms and what they will want from me is ammo.

There are plenty of things that could cause a family member/friend to show up at my place without a rifle.

First off most of my family all ride motorcycles and even though it is legal to open carry one there are not too many lockable scabbards that fit on a sport touring bike. So, if SHTF and they cannot get home to get the car and supplies I have a spare rifle that can be used.

We have had issues with forest fires and you might be at work and by the time you get home all is gone or a plane might crash into your home or this tyrannical administration might decide to come take your guns but you escape with out one. Choose your SHTF it could happen.

So yes, I do have a few extra toys and goodies to go with them just incase of any one of the SHTF possibilities might happen and it's a good reason to acquire more toys but I will admit I have been collection them over a long time too.

As far as what make to go with PSA, Anderson, Ruger and Smith Wesson will all do the basic job needed and I know there are a lot of Anderson and PSA lower haters even though they produce more than anybody else out there yet I cannot find one that has ever broke. Yes, there has been a few batches early on that the grip hole was not threaded all the way through or would only accept metal mags but that was years ago.

PSA does seem to have 3 versions of barrels their Freedom, 4150v Nitride and chrome lined from FN. I have seen some accuracy issues with the Freedom barrels but they still worked the other 2 no real issues for me and my friends so far.

So, to fully disclose I do have Colt, BCM uppers on Anderson lowers (Uppers purchased before BCM made Lowers) and PSA uppers on Anderson lowers so I have cheap to expensive and the ones that get abused the most are the cheap ones and they run fine. One PSA/Anderson 10.5 barrel has 11000 rounds plus through it so far, I had to slow down because of ammo shortage.

So yes, it is nice to have a spare if for nothing else but for spare parts or just a backup for yourself.

Just what ever you get at least put 500 rounds through it then take it apart for inspection and if no problems run it.

JMO

I have built a few Anderson lowers and they work fine for the price. I did buy BCM lower parts kit, and a BCM BCG and they work very well. I took them to range a lot and never had any issues with them. I bought fully assembled uppers that included a BCG but used BCM BCGs instead. That was before I started assembling my own uppers.

I have built a few Anderson lowers and they work fine for the price. I did buy BCM lower parts kit, and a BCM BCG and they work very well. I took them to range a lot and never had any issues with them. I bought fully assembled uppers that included a BCG but used BCM BCGs instead. That was before I started assembling my own uppers.
I do like the Noveske lower better than the Anderson. I don't know if I like it $150 better, but it's nice.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top