JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
In most cases it's not the representatives that are creating and passing the gun laws... it's the voters and those that sign petitions to get the measures put on the ballots in the first place (Oregon use to have a professional measure writer that got hundreds of stupid measures on the ballets but I can't remember his name). Like it or not, the majority vote passes laws in our country... except in presidential elections of course.

Mike

In most cases it's not the representatives that are creating and passing the gun laws... it's the voters and those that sign petitions to get the measures put on the ballots in the first place (Oregon use to have a professional measure writer that got hundreds of stupid measures on the ballets but I can't remember his name). Like it or not, the majority vote passes laws in our country... except in presidential elections of course.

Mike

About 3 months ago there was a voter pamphlet that came to us Washington folks. If i remember correctly there were about 12-15 different items to vote on. MOST (if not all?) of them stated "Enacted without a vote of the people of Washington".

Needless to say, every voting member in my family voted to rescind every inititive that was "enacted without a vote of the people".

WA is not the same as your Oregon. :mad::mad::mad:

First, 1639 only deemed semi automatic rifles "assault rifles" not handguns. Second, that designation presently only means a 10 business day waiting period, age restrictions on possession, and a minimal training requirement to purchase. Yes it applies to rim fire.
Write your elected representatives and oppose all of this nonsense, they are presently trying to expand their gun control agenda.
Yeah … 1639 created a new animal … the "Fully Semi-Automatic Assault Rifle". Prior to this I though Alice and her Wonderland crew had screwed up thinking … not the Mad Hatter looks totally sane.

MORE IMPORTANTLY

It also requires you to sign away your HIPAA protection allowing the State to access your medical records to determine your mental fitness to own a firearm. This waiver is for life.

Additionally, the firearm owner is now criminally liable for the misuse of the firearm if not "properly stored". Even if the firearm was stolen.

Functionally the waiting period is much longer than the 10 days stated in the legislation ... there are couple of threads here reporting on the actual wait times folks are experiencing.

About 3 months ago there was a voter pamphlet that came to us Washington folks. If i remember correctly there were about 12-15 different items to vote on. MOST (if not all?) of them stated "Enacted without a vote of the people of Washington".

Needless to say, every voting member in my family voted to rescind every inititive that was "enacted without a vote of the people".

WA is not the same as your Oregon. :mad::mad::mad:
In reality, the two worst new gun laws (594,1639,) were voted by the people. As far as the "Enacted without a vote of the people of Washington" they were all increased taxes of one sort or another, and it was not a vote to rescind it was jest them asking how we think they did. And yes, it came as a surprise when suddenly my old Weatherby mark 12 22lr that I have had for over 40 years suddenly became an assault rifle.

I recently read that in Washington state any semi automatic firearm is considered an "assault weapon". Is this true? If so, what does it mean to someone who owns one?
From I1639 that passed last year,

(25) "Semiautomatic assault rifle" means any rifle which utilizes a portion of the energy of a firing cartridge to extract the fired cartridge case and chamber the next round, and which requires a separate pull of the trigger to fire each cartridge. "Semiautomatic assault rifle" does not include antique firearms, any firearm that has been made permanently inoperable, or any 28 firearm that is manually operated by bolt, pump, lever, or slide action.

HB2241 is currently moving through legislature. If passed, it will ban the sale of all semi auto rifles and require anyone who currently owns one to register it. Next year, anyone with a registered semi auto will likely get a letter in the mail informing them they have until such and such date to surrender their assault rifles.

In reality, the two worst new gun laws (594,1639,) were voted by the people. As far as the "Enacted without a vote of the people of Washington" they were all increased taxes of one sort or another, and it was not a vote to rescind it was jest them asking how we think they did. And yes, it came as a surprise when suddenly my old Weatherby mark 12 22lr that I have had for over 40 years suddenly became an assault rifle.
If you're talking SB594, we voted it down and brown declared an emergency to have it enacted.

sorry, wrong number! LoL

I really miss the Pacific Northwest a lot, but man with all the communism and fascism spreading in these states I just don't think I want to go back.. Glad to know you still can buy semi auto magazine fed rifles after you go through your courses, get your certification, pay your fees and go through your month long background checks. Do they require a psychological exam yet? :confused: I guess part of me just cannot give up being an American and free and feel that since i am not tied down to living in Pacific NW, no wife/kids/family who wants to see me, etc , that I would have to stay there.

But, one thing I will say in addition to being an American, I am a Cascadian. I will always love and yearn for the Cascades and to be honest after living in TEnnessee I feel a bit homesick. There are also so many Californians in Tennessee. It's like half the people in Nashville are from California now. Many ,are the "WE WANT FREEDOM" variety. But, there are plenty of libtards coming here to turn the rest of the country into California or New York. Tennessee is a good place if you want gun freedom. Not such a good place if you are a Northerner wanting to make friends with the locals. Cannot blame them for not like outsiders, right? LOL Wish I lived up in the Smokey mountains to get away from the liberalism in this state and be back in the mountains. Damn, I hate living in a flat place like Middle TN.. Oh, I get to enjoy frequent tornado warnings now! I want my mountains back :(. But this is where the jobs are, "Nashville". You take the good with the bad. I have thought about moving to Northern Idaho, but there is literally ZERO software jobs and I am losing my business and will have to find some kind of work. Thinking about moving to Atlanta or North Carolina now. But, nothing is like Cascadia and the beautiful Cascades. One day, I hope us Americans and Cascadians can rid these fascists who are unconstitutionally "occupying" our government.

From I1639 that passed last year,

(25) "Semiautomatic assault rifle" means any rifle which utilizes a portion of the energy of a firing cartridge to extract the fired cartridge case and chamber the next round, and which requires a separate pull of the trigger to fire each cartridge. "Semiautomatic assault rifle" does not include antique firearms, any firearm that has been made permanently inoperable, or any 28 firearm that is manually operated by bolt, pump, lever, or slide action...

My next semi-automatic rifle is going to named 'Permanently Inoperable'.

We should confuse the idiots again and call 'magazines' = 'clips' and 'clips' = 'magazines'.

Or bolt action = pull-push action, lever action = down stroke action, pump action = no change needed, etc.
Or more specific parts: bolt catch = fire release mechanism, bolt = fire group housing, firing pin = cartridge firing nurb, extractor = thrower, cartridge mouth = rim, rim = base, ogive = shoulder, +P = magnum, etc.

BTW, its more than a lifetime HIPAA release and annual BCG. Once on the 'list' there's no provision to remove you from the list. Theoretically, if you sell or get rid of the firearm, you're still on the list. If you die, you're still on the list. There's nothing in I639 which says you can contest it in court.

The Mrs 1979 Marlin Model 60 is also on the assault gun list.
It must be the squirrels on the pistol grip that they hate.

squ1al.jpg

Nope I think it must be the high cap magazine. It holds 18 rim fire LONG RIFLE.

apart.jpg

SAVE THE SQUIRRELS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I really miss the Pacific Northwest a lot, but man with all the communism and fascism spreading in these states I just don't think I want to go back.. Glad to know you still can buy semi auto magazine fed rifles after you go through your courses, get your certification, pay your fees and go through your month long background checks. Do they require a psychological exam yet? :confused: I guess part of me just cannot give up being an American and free and feel that since i am not tied down to living in Pacific NW, no wife/kids/family who wants to see me, etc , that I would have to stay there.

But, one thing I will say in addition to being an American, I am a Cascadian. I will always love and yearn for the Cascades and to be honest after living in TEnnessee I feel a bit homesick. There are also so many Californians in Tennessee. It's like half the people in Nashville are from California now. Many ,are the "WE WANT FREEDOM" variety. But, there are plenty of libtards coming here to turn the rest of the country into California or New York. Tennessee is a good place if you want gun freedom. Not such a good place if you are a Northerner wanting to make friends with the locals. Cannot blame them for not like outsiders, right? LOL Wish I lived up in the Smokey mountains to get away from the liberalism in this state and be back in the mountains. Damn, I hate living in a flat place like Middle TN.. Oh, I get to enjoy frequent tornado warnings now! I want my mountains back :(. But this is where the jobs are, "Nashville". You take the good with the bad. I have thought about moving to Northern Idaho, but there is literally ZERO software jobs and I am losing my business and will have to find some kind of work. Thinking about moving to Atlanta or North Carolina now. But, nothing is like Cascadia and the beautiful Cascades. One day, I hope us Americans and Cascadians can rid these fascists who are unconstitutionally "occupying" our government.

Replace "Cascades" with "Rockies' and get yourself the best of both worlds. Not sure what you do in software but there are opportunities for software engineers to work remote and there are decent companies in these states.

Lots of software work in SLC, Utah area (Silicon Slopes). OnX Maps is hiring in Missoula/Bozeman, MT etc. It can be done, not saying you aren't going to take a pay cut relative to Nashville, but it's unfortunately the price of freedom now.

Replace "Cascades" with "Rockies' and get yourself the best of both worlds. Not sure what you do in software but there are opportunities for software engineers to work remote and there are decent companies in these states.

Lots of software work in SLC, Utah area (Silicon Slopes). OnX Maps is hiring in Missoula/Bozeman, MT etc. It can be done, not saying you aren't going to take a pay cut relative to Nashville, but it's unfortunately the price of freedom now.
Dwesson.. I love the Northern Rockies. I was living in Colorado, but it's turning into another Oregon/Washington with all the libtarded/communist Left-coast people taking over the state.. Yeah, I do have fantasies about Montana, Idaho and I just drove through Utah and was stunned by the magnificence of the mountains rising above Salt Lake City. In fact, I thought the scenery around SLC was much more impressive than Denver. My love for beer may cause me a few probs in Utah though. Not a complete deal breaker.

SLC does have one of the most booming tech markets in the country.. I was shocked to see the number of tech jobs. Nashville is not so great of a tech city and really the jobs pay low and have high demands. Charlotte, Raleigh and Atlanta are miles ahead in tech than anywhere in TN. The prices of Nashville are skyrocketing beyond belief with the hordes of wealthy Californians moving here thinking "Tennessee is Cheap". Not anymore! Atlanta does have some beautiful mountains not too far away and I enjoyed driving over Monteagle Mountain while playing the very Johnny Cash song and snapping a photo of the famous truck runaway ramp. Chattanooga is utterly gorgeous, but good luck getting a job there and it's not particularly cheap. Too many retirees moving to TN like Florida and boosting up prices.

But, nothing is like the Cascades or those Rocky mountains , especially the NOrthern Rockies which I think are much more beautiful than the Colorado Rockies and has more of that Pacific Northwest beauty with greenery, lakes, river, etc. I also did not like the elevation of Denver and living at 6,000 just kind of sucked ,esp when I had to head up to 10,000 to do all my hiking or mountain exploring. Just messed with my head. I did get tipsy a little easier in Colorado though :p

If i can get myself a remote job, I think moving to the Rockies or in between (North Idaho is nice, between Rockies/Cascades) I will think of moving out there ASAP. I did love tropical beauty and beaches around Tampa and was just in Florida. But, that's my winter home when I become a millionaire with great remote job :p Florida is way too flat for me to live. Weatherwise, TN is the worst of both worlds, Pacific Northwest winters with FL summers. LOL

Yeah, I hope Montana can stay free as well. I heard the mayor of Missoula (who is a liberal from California, ironically) wanted to pass an Assault Weapon Ban in the city. That would be a crying shame for a bastion of freedom like Montana. They also have a Democrat Governor.. Kind of worries me a bit if he decides to go "GUN BAN" to tote the party line.

BTW, Isee you are in Sandpoint. I spent time up there and in Clark Fork after coming back from a trip from Bitterroot Valley and Glacier NP. I am so envious of you and fell in love with beauty of Pend d'Oreille.

Last Edited:
Probably why I got confused... I always thought Oregon voted in our BGC law, I wasn't pleased to hear otherwise. Regardlessof what you feel about the law, it should have been up to the people and not decided against their vote.

Mike

I get what both of you are saying, but I don't think that the people get to vote away Constitutionally protected 2A rights, and neither does the legislature - at least not legally.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads