JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
It is discussed in the reloading books. I found this one yesterday, as I was thumbing cartridges into the magazine of a 10mm pistol. That is the last call for quality control; that is, just before it gets fed into the firearm. The give-away is the bright annular line or ring, just ahead of the case head. On this one, it was about 50% around the circumference of the head. This is an Underwood branded case. It came to me as once fired; to be honest I don't know the exact round count but no more than two more light loadings. I don't do heavy loads in 10mm although the cartridge has a reputation for it.

If you take a paper clip tool as referred to in the loading manuals, you can kinda rub it around inside the case on the opposite side of the bright ring. There, you will feel the surface of the brass sink in a bit. It's slight, you need to understand the minute nature of the defect you are looking for. The reason for the bright ring is that is where the brass is just starting to expand and blow out. I've seen this several times on rifle brass but it's the first time I've seen a pistol case start to come apart in this manner.

LYyJTcN.png

The paper clip tool. You take a simple wire paper clip and unbend it into a straight piece. Then you bend a small leg at the bottom, winding up with an L shape. The bend you make need only be about 1/8 inch long. You are doing this check just to verify; usually the bright ring is enough to tell the story. But I've been fooled a couple of times and found with the wire tool that the case was actually sound and the suspect ring I saw was something other than an incipient separation.

I checked all the rest of the cartridges in this batch and didn't find another similar defect. I also checked the fired brass afterwards and all was okay. Likely I won't reuse these because now they are suspect.

Recently I was at one of the ranges where I'm a member. A shooter down the line from me was firing Swedish 6.5 Mauser hand loads. Every round he fired developed a serious incipient separation. I asked him what his load was, etc. I checked it against book recommendations after I got home and found what he told me was within reasonable specs. So maybe he made a mistake somewhere and his load was more than he thought. He said the PMC brass was weak. Nevertheless, if you see one of your fired cases come out with this kind of defect, it's time to stop shooting and investigate. You don't keep firing away. A guy would look pretty silly with a Mauser bolt sticking out of the front of his forehead. The mistake I made was not reporting him to the RSO. Nobody likes to be a rat, but shooting questionable loads on the range endangers other shooters and is cause for removal from the firing line.

You don't have one that is actually separated? That's when it's actually case head "separation". An old rifle of mine was in dire need of being fixed because it would actually split cases at the head. It's at Velezy's shop right now. Hoping that one will be done here soon. It was a 30-06, now it's going to be a 308 Norma magnum. Something I've always wanted, just never took the plunge until now...

Have a Dremel? Take a cutoff wheel and section the case. Some time back I sectioned a couple of old .220 Swift cases out of a box I got in trade. Looked kinda suspicious. but after sectioning, they were fine. The ring may have been left by out of spec dies, or by using a full-length sizer to neck size. Better safe than sorry, as I had a military case head let go in an HK91 and it blew the magazine into my leg and warped the receiver sides out. Still have the mag from that one.

Don't know I've ever seen that on a straight walled pistol case.
I concur. I'd be more inclined to believe it on a straight wall case if the case was cut in half to prove it.

So nobody is confused, here is real case head separation from my mistake bin along with my tool for checking. This one separated really high up on the case compared to where they normally stretch. Hence the reason it was missed. Just looking in the wrong spot.

This was unknown fired .308, must have been mixed in with my range pickup.

Last Edited:
The reason for the bright ring is that is where the brass is just starting to expand and blow out. I've seen this several times on rifle brass but it's the first time I've seen a pistol case start to come apart in this manner.

I take a little issue with this statement. Maybe it's just not worded right.

Case head separation occurs because the case expands, then when it is forced back to spec by the full length sizer, the brass 'flows' towards the only end it can which is the case mouth (hence the reason for trimming). If the cases kept expanding at the belt/web you have another problem and it's not pistol brass that's been fired one too many times.

If I'm not mistaken, you are hilighting the area in red?

Which has some of the thickest brass on the case.

Now there is a blowout on one pistol that I make jokes about and that's the Glock .40 with the unsupported chamber that leaves the "Glock Smile" brass which is truly blown out because the chamber is NOT fully supported. That brass should not be reused and should be recycled with haste.

But notice it's still above the bottom of the web as indicated with the arrow.

Help me out here. We talking the same thing here or is there some misunderstanding?

I concur. I'd be more inclined to believe it on a straight wall case if the case was cut in half to prove it.

So nobody is confused, here is real case head separation from my mistake bin along with my tool for checking.

This was unknown fired .308, must have been mixed in with my range pickup.
View attachment 601565
Any damage to you or the gun?

Help me out here. We talking the same thing here or is there some misunderstanding?

Happy to clarify. We are talking about the same thing. Yes, the separation is started just above the web. I don't need to section the case; I can feel the ring on the inside wall. The defective case is .011 longer than others in the same batch, so yes, it did grow forward. I did not try to chamber this round; don't know if it would've gone into battery had I tried. Somehow, it got through my reloading process. I should've noticed it during the taper crimp but I didn't.

So nobody is confused, here is real case head separation from my mistake bin along with my tool for checking.

I've seen separations like the one in your picture. "Right in the middle" is pretty common when .223 Rem. does it. But I've seen many that are starting just above the web, too. The 6.5 Swedes that I mentioned in my original post were so close to blowing out at the web that you could see actual cracks. I've caught several .30-06 GI brass that had just plain been loaded too many times that were starting to go just above the web.

You don't have one that is actually separated? That's when it's actually case head "separation".

No, I didn't take it that far. Incipient means, "it's starting to happen." I've had a full case head separation years ago in a 7mm Mauser, don't want to do it again.

Now there is a blowout on one pistol that I make jokes about and that's the Glock .40 with the unsupported chamber that leaves the "Glock Smile" brass which is truly blown out because the chamber is NOT fully supported. That brass should not be reused and should be recycled with haste.

I've read about this phenomenon for some time but have never experienced it with the Glock 23 I have. Never have fired a factory cartridge in it. Maybe I've been lucky, who knows. I have a Glock 19 (9mm), big no-no to shoot lead bullets in those. Of course I had to try it and all went well. The "not fully supported chamber" concept applies to many semi-auto pistols, not just Glock. I have experienced "Colt .38 Super Smile" once or twice.

There is no way I'm checking my 9mm. I load wayyyyy to many to check.

I'm with you all the way on that.

Back when I first starting loading for my M1A, I had this happen several times. None of them were catastrophic; they just meant I had to pause shooting in order to extract the broken half from the chamber.

Back when I first starting loading for my M1A, I had this happen several times. None of them were catastrophic; they just meant I had to pause shooting in order to extract the broken half from the chamber.

I don't like all that gas in my face.

It is discussed in the reloading books. I found this one yesterday, as I was thumbing cartridges into the magazine of a 10mm pistol. That is the last call for quality control; that is, just before it gets fed into the firearm. The give-away is the bright annular line or ring, just ahead of the case head. On this one, it was about 50% around the circumference of the head. This is an Underwood branded case. It came to me as once fired; to be honest I don't know the exact round count but no more than two more light loadings. I don't do heavy loads in 10mm although the cartridge has a reputation for it.

If you take a paper clip tool as referred to in the loading manuals, you can kinda rub it around inside the case on the opposite side of the bright ring. There, you will feel the surface of the brass sink in a bit. It's slight, you need to understand the minute nature of the defect you are looking for. The reason for the bright ring is that is where the brass is just starting to expand and blow out. I've seen this several times on rifle brass but it's the first time I've seen a pistol case start to come apart in this manner.

View attachment 601529

The paper clip tool. You take a simple wire paper clip and unbend it into a straight piece. Then you bend a small leg at the bottom, winding up with an L shape. The bend you make need only be about 1/8 inch long. You are doing this check just to verify; usually the bright ring is enough to tell the story. But I've been fooled a couple of times and found with the wire tool that the case was actually sound and the suspect ring I saw was something other than an incipient separation.

I checked all the rest of the cartridges in this batch and didn't find another similar defect. I also checked the fired brass afterwards and all was okay. Likely I won't reuse these because now they are suspect.

Recently I was at one of the ranges where I'm a member. A shooter down the line from me was firing Swedish 6.5 Mauser hand loads. Every round he fired developed a serious incipient separation. I asked him what his load was, etc. I checked it against book recommendations after I got home and found what he told me was within reasonable specs. So maybe he made a mistake somewhere and his load was more than he thought. He said the PMC brass was weak. Nevertheless, if you see one of your fired cases come out with this kind of defect, it's time to stop shooting and investigate. You don't keep firing away. A guy would look pretty silly with a Mauser bolt sticking out of the front of his forehead. The mistake I made was not reporting him to the RSO. Nobody likes to be a rat, but shooting questionable loads on the range endangers other shooters and is cause for removal from the firing line.

In regards to the 6.5x55, case head separation can be common. The case head is actually .480. However, some ammunition/brass manufacturers use a .473 case head like a 30-06 case. Full length resizing on top of a loose chamber and a possibly eroded throat can cause a lot of brass flow/stretch.

I don't believe any brass or guns are designed to maximize RE- load-ability.
Over-sized chambers are to accommodate the function and variations of commercially sold ammo, brass stretch is not a factor because it's considered a single use component.

Even R-P discourages RE-loading of their cases by admitting to producing brass with a thinner wall thickness.
I'm not sure R-P even sells empty/new brass as a (re)loading component. (don't really know and too lazy to search)

Brass lasts the life of the barrel for bench rest shooters as it is never re-sized or trimmed, only RE-loaded.
jmo,
:)
Edit: neck sizing has proven to minimize case "stretch"/case separation, as has chamber polishing and leaving the sizing lube on the case.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top