JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
I have not read the entire 115 page document, but look at this page: View attachment 879194
The only reason they need this list of existing guns is because the rules they are writing would otherwise make mere parts considered guns. All without changing the law, by edict of the DOJ. Of course they could wait 5 years then revoke this "exception" and apply the rule to all guns and parts out there. By law the AR15 lower is not a gun, and the ATF has dropped cases against people who argued that in court. This will always be the case until the law is changed, I expect there will be a lot of pushback from manufacturers and importers over this proposal.

Under the proposed rule 2021R-05, slides and uppers could be considered as a firearm "frame or receiver" and require serialization, form 4473, NICS check, etc... Additionally, as we expected, 80% kits and even suppressor parts would fall under this regulation as well.

To add insult to injury, the ATF drops this proposal on a Friday with a limited window for public commentary and then does not yet have 2021R-05 available yet for online commentary.

As soon as this proposal is available for online public commentary, we need to crush this with massive public outcry.

Rule text:

Eventually this rule should show up on https://www.regulations.gov for public commentary:

ETA:

Deep in the full text of the proposal, there is a section regarding current firearm designs and which parts constitute a "frame or receiver". There they declare that for existing ARs, Glocks etc... where the ATF has already defined one particular part (the lower) as a "receiver", they will maintain that interpretation, even though that interpretation is at odds with the text of the 2021R-05 where a "frame or receiver" is housing for any the following: "hammer, bolt, bolt carrier, breechblock, cylinder, trigger mechanism, firing pin, striker, or slide rails" which would clearly include slides, uppers, etc...

Last Edited:
Just another scheme to turn common citizens into felons. My Sig 556 SBR has the serial number on the upper receiver so that makes it the "firearm". Will the rogue agency eventually require me to serialize my "assault" drill press, "assault" lathes and mills. They going to start some watch list on who buys bar stock 6000 and 7000 series aluminum etc?

It appears that standard AR15 uppers and pistol slides might be safe for now. It does look to me like they are leaving the door open for an easy transition to requiring serial numbers/FFL transfers on other parts. These new proposed rules could be setting us up for when they turn the heat up on the pot we are sitting in.

As for 80% items, it definitely looks like the complete kits will be required to be transferred through an FFL but what about 80% items sold on there own or with a jig/tools or with a jig/tools and some of the parts?

It appears that standard AR15 uppers and pistol slides might be safe for now. It does look to me like they are leaving the door open for an easy transition to requiring serial numbers/FFL transfers on other parts. These new proposed rules could be setting us up for when they turn the heat up on the pot we are sitting in.
Only because the ATF realizes it isn't feasible to require serialization/engraving of all current AR/Glocks/etc... However, there is a decent chance any new firearm would fall under the new proposal, thus, like you said, paving the way for nearly all major components to eventually become regulated. This is why pushing back hard now before the ATF goes down this path is so important.

These are DOJ recomendations to the ATF. This will not got through the legal steps normal laws do. These will be ATF rulings and are not subject to any vote of any kind.
I seem to recall a similar process banning pieces of plastic for butt end of rifle, in previous administration

These are DOJ recomendations to the ATF. This will not go through the legal steps normal laws do. These will be ATF rulings and are not subject to any vote of any kind.

Disagree ATF will try and it will be overturned in the court. It is an over reach , the ATF does have a lot of latitude in creating rules BUT what a firearm is and is not is codified into law . This one won't make it the distance especially with enough legal push back .

Disagree ATF will try and it will be overturned in the court. It is an over reach , the ATF does have a lot of latitude in creating rules BUT what a firearm is and is not is codified into law . This one won't make it the distance especially with enough legal push back .
How did they classify this into a firearm? https://www.internationalsportsman.com/atf-decides-a-50-bmg-ar-15-upper-is-a-firearm/

It appears to me they just woke up one morning and decided it was a firearm.

Honestly I do not think there was enough pushback or cares from the gun community at large. Gun owners like others have tendency to not care as long as their interests are not being stepped on .

There is a large enough interest in the current discussion I believe there will be a lot push back . Usually ATF goes after the most easily picked low hanging fruit.

ETA a good example is the pistol braces they got so much comment along with congressional inquiry that they dropped that ball

How did they classify this into a firearm? https://www.internationalsportsman.com/atf-decides-a-50-bmg-ar-15-upper-is-a-firearm/

It appears to me they just woke up one morning and decided it was a firearm.
I appears mainly because it's hand-fed and can fire without a lower. I wish manufacturers would stop sending products they don't think are guns to the ATF to review, as that is how they generate these "determination letters". Just hire a lawyer and go by the law, you don't need ATF permission. Maybe gun owners need to build up a legal defense fund for manufacturers to push back against the ATF if they do this and actions are taken against them.

I appears mainly because it's hand-fed and can fire without a lower. I wish manufacturers would stop sending products they don't think are guns to the ATF to review, as that is how they generate these "determination letters". Just hire a lawyer and go by the law, you don't need ATF permission. Maybe gun owners need to build up a legal defense fund for manufacturers to push back against the ATF if they do this and actions are taken against them.
I could do the same with a standard AR15 upper assy if I turn the gas off. It seems to me that they need to pick one or other, not both to receive classification as a firearm. If I bring a SHTF50 upper attached to a lower in to an FFL, will they have to list both on Form 4473? That would seem ridiculous.

It's unclear to me why the SHTF50 is classified as firearm and this one is not:

There is some mickey mouse interpretations floating around the BATF and I wish they would be challenged in the courts more often by the firearms industry.

It would be quite the effort to load a round in the chamber and put the bolt in battery in a normal ar15 upper without the buffer tube. While possible, the parts weren't designed for that. I was looking at laws around AR pistols and rifles and folding stocks, and one question was how to determine overall length, because you can fire one round from an AR with the buffer folded over, it just won't cycle(and also hit the shooter with the bolt carrier)

The UPR15 appears to be designed to feed from a magazine in a lower, so there's your difference. Just be careful when handling a SHTF50, if you attach it to a lower you are basically manufacturing a new firearm:p. The rules are terrible, needlessly complex, and something that could and should be easily fixed by legislation, but our Congress doesn't do that anymore. The ATF probably should have originally ruled that the AR upper and lower were together the firearm and had to be serialized and sold together.

Status

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads