JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
This appears to be a proposal by the DOJ and not an actual definition change by the ATF. If so, the thread title is misleading.

This appears to be a proposal by the DOJ and not an actual definition change by the ATF. If so, the thread title is misleading.
Sorry about that. I just tried to change and Can't. I read about half way through it and honestly did not finish it. It's pretty long. Sorry for the wrong alphabet agency. You are more than welcome to edit the title since I can't.

New Progressive DOJ definitions;

Receiver.. the thug that broke into your home at 3 AM.
Frame..... what the D.A. does to you before you go to prison

Only went in about seven pages and found out that 50 years ago we didn't have the things I remember having.

Edit: False alarm for now, unless the Director changes their mind.

This is bad news folks. If these new rules take effect the AR15 upper receiver will be considered a firearm.

Screenshot_20210507-212522.png

Last Edited:
It would appear that most AR uppers are safe for now but this statement on page 83 worries me:

"Director may determine whether a specific part or parts of a weapon is the frame or receiver, which may include an internal frame or chassis at least partially exposed to the exterior to allow identification."

Who is the Director? Could the Director decide one day he thinks uppers should be considered a firearm as well? Is their anything preventing the ATF from listing two parts designed to work together as one firearm from being classified as two firearms? What would the process be for the Director to reclassify uppers as firearms too?

The example that comes to mind is this upper: https://safetyharborfirearms.com/product/shtf-50-mag-fed-upper-conversion/

I am not sure who decided this SHTF50 upper was a firearm or what the process was? It seems like they could easily make the argument that standard AR15 uppers are firearms too, especially with under the new proposed rules.

This statement on page 32 seems to contradictory to what they have done with the SHTF50 Upper.:

"One important goal of this rule is to ensure that it does not affect existing ATF classifications of firearms that specify a single component as the frame or receiver. Application of the rule, as proposed, would not alter these prior ATF classifications."

Last Edited:
Does this statement on page 21 mean there will be changes to our legal ability to sell a homemade firearm that we made for personal purposes?

"However, nothing in this rule would restrict persons not otherwise prohibited from possessing firearms from making their own firearms at home without markings solely for personal use (not for sale or distribution) in accordance with Federal, State, and local law."

It would appear that most AR uppers are safe for now but this statement on page 83 worries me:

"Director may determine whether a specific part or parts of a weapon is the frame or receiver, which may include an internal frame or chassis at least partially exposed to the exterior to allow identification."

Who is the Director? Could the Director decide one day he thinks uppers should be considered a firearm as well? Is their anything preventing the ATF from listing two parts designed to work together as one firearm from being classified as two firearms? What would the process be for the Director to reclassify uppers as firearms too?

The example that comes to mind is this upper: https://safetyharborfirearms.com/product/shtf-50-mag-fed-upper-conversion/

I am not sure who decided this SHTF50 upper was a firearm or what the process was? It seems like they could easily make the argument that standard AR15 uppers are firearms too, especially with under the new proposed rules.

This statement on page 32 seems to contradictory to what they have done with the SHTF50 Upper.:

"One important goal of this rule is to ensure that it does not affect existing ATF classifications of firearms that specify a single component as the frame or receiver. Application of the rule, as proposed, would not alter these prior ATF classifications."
This is another orgs take on the BATF's decision to classify some AR uppers as firearms:

Status

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads