Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

The Devil's in the Details...Know the Laws!

Discussion in 'NFA Weapon Discussion' started by Intoodeep, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Intoodeep

Intoodeep Beaverton, OR Member

If this just helps one member better understand the laws it will be well worth it. Too often people make bad choices out of a lack of knowledge. Most violations that are used to condemn the law abiding firearm community are committed by people who just do not know, this will help point them in a positive direction where to get more informed.

2. Intoodeep

3. Intoodeep

In an effort to assist our members to be better informed I have re-posted with permission.
    Thank you, Bill Kohnke of PALADIN ARMORY

Last edited: Mar 17, 2010
  4. HappyRoman

HappyRoman Sherwood Forest Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Ok, you really believe that many of us would read all of this text, wow..
    If you know of specific points that need our attention please highlite in yellow or pink, or orange.. something to help.. after paragraph 3 I moved on..
    Thanks, but help is what is appreciated..

5. Ravenous

Ravenous West Linn, OR Member

The name of this thread is, "The devil is in the details" and you are telling the op he should summarize it or highlight key points? It is worth reading the whole thing if you want to be sure all actions are lawful.

Thanks for the information! It is very much appreciated.

Ben Beckerich likes this.
  6. Intoodeep

If this just helps one member better understand the laws it will be well worth it. Too often people make bad choices out of a lack of knowledge. Most violations that are used to condemn the law abiding firearm community are committed by people who just do not know, this will help point them in a positive direction where to get more informed.

7. Outrider

Outrider Oregon Active Member

-You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink...

IronMonster and Statistic like this.
  8. Trlsmn

Trlsmn In Utero (Portland) Well-Known Member

I would also add that this 'is' a summary of the laws! :p

10 minutes of time spent reading this is not much to expect out of a responsible gun owner.

Ben Beckerich and Statistic like this.
  9. HalfNutz

HalfNutz Kirkland (Juanita) Member

Really? Wow, talk about promulgating the stereotypical 'gun nut' as portrayed by the mainstream media.

Fine... there are some of us that have the attention span of a gnat.

I'm grateful to the OP for the information provided.... lots of information that I was not aware of.

Thank you for posting.

10. Ranb

Ranb Belfair, WA Active Member

This is a perfect example of why we have to live with so many restrictions in our country. Very few people want to learn, they just want to be told what to do. Many gun owners are no different it seems. I have been trying to drum up support for bill 1604 (allow silencer use in WA) but other than several individuals that have been very helpful, not much is happening. This is why the bill keeps dying in committee and most of the bill co-sponsors in Olympia couldn't give a rat's *** about it.

Ranb

11. PDXSparky

PDXSparky Keizer / Hillsboro Well-Known Member

+1 to both of those posts.

12. MechanicWithAGlock

MechanicWithAGlock Albany, Oregon Member

the problem is not that the people dont want to read the problem is most of these are written out to read like stereo instructions long and lots of fancy words when they could easily summarize it even short instead they right it like old english and say no shotgun of barrel length less then 20 inchs shall be sold in a place of firearms sales. mind you i made most that up but thats more or less the jyst of the problem with trying to read all this

13. CleverName

CleverName Southern Oregon Active Member

I noticed in the "Privately building NFA firearms" section is says that a drawing of the weapon to be built must be included along with the paperwork. What the heck is that about? Thats the first I've ever heard of that.

14. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

They want a blueprint of what you are proposing to build.

15. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

tl;dr

16. Ranb

Ranb Belfair, WA Active Member

If you are making an NFA firearm on the ATF form 1, it is not a prototype. Do not send the ATF any drawings or plans. I never have and the ATF has not failed to approve 14 tax stamp applications for me so far. All they need is the model, serial number, barrel length (N/A for silencers) and overall length.

Ranb

17. SporkBoy

SporkBoy WA Baby steps ... Bronze Supporter

Pardon my necro ... I did read!

Can we work on getting knives sorted out?

Last edited: Dec 10, 2015