JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
If you're looking to challenge yourself a bit, give this one a try. While slide lock reloads are a pretty rare possibility in a SD situation, for training purposes it adds dimension to the drill, incorporating additional mechanics for you work through. It's also a very easy drill to set up and run without a lot of rounds needed. You can run it 8X from a 50 rd. box. B8 centers are easy to acquire.

6 rds, 6 yds, 6 seconds...easy-peasy, right? ;)

Boss

I like this and will give it a try next time. Its similar to other reload drills I get from pistol-training.com.
The only issue with it is these drills are almost always demonstrated by someone wearing a competition gun belt with easily reachable spares everything open carry. Id like to see a par time adjusted for performing the drill with street clothes from concealment.

This drill is similar to what I was referring to in this post, Drill #6.
While the drill in the other thread speaks mainly to clearing MFs from battery, the concept of reloading and getting back into battery is still relevant.

Last Edited:
Id like to see a par time adjusted for performing the drill with street clothes from concealment.
You could probably call it the 669 Drill.
I would think that an extra 3 seconds to allow for a draw from concealment and to retrieve a spare mag from a pants pocket would make it challenging enough.
I think I'll try this next time I'm at the pistol bays...

You could probably call it the 669 Drill.
I would think that an extra 3 seconds to allow for a draw from concealment and to retrieve a spare mag from a pants pocket would make it challenging enough.
I think I'll try this next time I'm at the pistol bays...

Thats what I usually do, par time should be flexible based on the condition of carry.
I just don't see many professional videos addressing par times from concealment so I just wing it, generally add one to two seconds per extra task.

Saw the OP title and thought this was going to be a horror story about a dentist!!

:s0140:
That movie with Hoffman comes to mind:D. I often joke about it when I go to the Dentist. Some of them have no idea what I am talking about. Those who remember the movie get a kick out of it;)
That guy is good. Sadly many of us to not have easy access to a place to practice that with live ammo. Most ranges would toss you if you tried and I can see why. They can't control it and someone would get hurt. Would be a great thing to be able to train for though.

That movie with Hoffman comes to mind:D. I often joke about it when I go to the Dentist. Some of them have no idea what I am talking about. Those who remember the movie get a kick out of it;)
That guy is good. Sadly many of us to not have easy access to a place to practice that with live ammo. Most ranges would toss you if you tried and I can see why. They can't control it and someone would get hurt. Would be a great thing to be able to train for though.

Many ranges have action bays for action shooting. Many still dont though. Public lands are where I go.

Sadly many of us to not have easy access to a place to practice that with live ammo. Most ranges would toss you if you tried and I can see why. They can't control it and someone would get hurt. Would be a great thing to be able to train for though.
Which was the primary driver behind me getting certified as an RSO at my range. For standing just 3 duty days/year, I get access anytime to every part of the range, to include the pistol bays, where I spend most of my practice time. There, I can draw from holster/concealment, speed shoot, shoot while moving, etc.
Well worth the 18 hours a year I have to spend tending to the public while the range is open to everyone.

That movie with Hoffman comes to mind:D. I often joke about it when I go to the Dentist.

I don't, I had one just like him growing up
Film Forum · MARATHON MAN

Which was the primary driver behind me getting certified as an RSO at my range. For standing just 3 duty days/year, I get access anytime to every part of the range, to include the pistol bays, where I spend most of my practice time. There, I can draw from holster/concealment, speed shoot, shoot while moving, etc.
Well worth the 18 hours a year I have to spend tending to the public while the range is open to everyone.
If there was one like that around here I would jump at the chance to do some free time there for that privilege. My big dream is if I ever hit the lotto buy a place I can shoot on my own land again. Damn I miss that a LOT:cool:

@3:30, Korman can't hold it together any longer. That cracks up Conway. :s0140:

Thats what I usually do, par time should be flexible based on the condition of carry.
I just don't see many professional videos addressing par times from concealment so I just wing it, generally add one to two seconds per extra task.

Agreed...some instructors are not really runny 'street' gear. Awesome...you can nail it with your G34 w/ mag well, tuned trigger and FO front sight from speed kydex. Cuz that's what most people are carrying:rolleyes:.

Speaking of magwell...the reload is probably the biggest hurdle in this drill...if you're running a narrow single stack with no magwell...you're gonna need to be very smooth indeed.

We don't really see what LAV draws from in the video...but most of what I've seen from him is a belt holster which could probably be 'real world' under a proper cover garment. 1 to 1.5 seconds extra for common concealment gear is probably realistic.

Regardless...the drill itself...as mentioned above...super easy to set up, only 6 shots, good test of skills. If you can consistently pass, you probably can say with a high degree of confidence you've got some skill at arms. It's also one many probably haven't run too often, so no 'grandbagging' ...at least for a bit anyway.

The 'Master Class' series has several other good drills you might work into your routine. I like Vickers and Hackathorn.

As to ranges allowing for practicing...it's probably worthwhile looking into a facility where you can do such drills and invest in a shot timer. Those are kind of two of those bigger 'investment steps' if you really want to up your skillset. Right there with ya...one range in my area that allowed for it closed down, and the other is a full 2 hrs.+ round trip behind the wheel...so not super easy to get to. Ranges that host pistol matches are probably the best place to start.

As to Vickers...not to thread drift too much, but he's actually trimmed down a good bit. You should probably watch his 'Why I'm Fat' video to give some perspective before you're hating on him much, esp. on Memorial Day weekend to a highly decorated veteran.

$.02 worth.

Boss

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top