JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Your propbaly wondering whats this deer hunters dream your talking about ... Well im talking about the savage 212 bolt action slug slinger. With a 24in rifled barrel and hornady 300g sst 2 3/4in slugs. You just cannot go wrong shooting under 200 yards and realistically how often are you shooting over 200 yards. Or your stuck hunting a rifle restriction unit and have the choice of pistol, muzzleloader, bow, or shotgun.

So picked up this sweet gun in a trade and put a cheep Leopold 3x9x40. Good pice of glass for a very good price. Took the gun to the range for a quick sight in and well ... No paper at 50 yards ... One shot a 25 and far left. Then a spin of the turets and center. One more shot a 50 yards and center. Now at 100 yards got a 3 shot group all touching. 0729181151.jpg
Well happy with 100 yards outta the hornady slugs i had some winchesters and federal saboted slugs. Long story short they are garbage. The sabots dont grip the rifling like they should. And then i could get 2 to gruop and the third was a flyer... Like big time flyer .... Like BIG time...

So we stepped out to 200 yards and,after a box we found that you need about 10in of hold over but will hold a 3in group of 5 shots. The other 3 where a mix of my buddys handy work and figging out the hold over. I wanna try this thing at 300 yards but i figure about 2 ft of hold over for it. 15329018387464894631679255625118.jpg
Not bad for a shot gun ehh ... Only problems we had was with the feeting but i conclude that to be operator error and a new gun breaking in. The thing is a damn good shooter and a head tuner at the range when they see shot gun shells hitting the floor and the only targets on your lane are at 200 and 300 .... I feel she will kill a deer this year as long as i can,find one

I just saw these on the Cabelas site and came here to see if there was any local information. Amazing.

I hunt in SE MN so a slug gun is a must. Been using my trusty pump for years but it may be time for a change.

Thanks for the write up.

The last time I was forced to hunt with a shotgun was on a trip outside the Caledonia/Houston area. Even considering the shotguns, it was still an awesome nyertaining hunt.

I just saw these on the Cabelas site and came here to see if there was any local information. Amazing.

I hunt in SE MN so a slug gun is a must. Been using my trusty pump for years but it may be time for a change.

Thanks for the write up.

If a slug gun is a must and your going to be hunting with it alot( year after year) then i would say get the savage 212. But if its only for one hunt or one season i would go with a cheaper cva hunter in 20g ... I got the savage 212 so i can also hunt elk with it

If a slug gun is a must and your going to be hunting with it alot( year after year) then i would say get the savage 212. But if its only for one hunt or one season i would go with a cheaper cva hunter in 20g ... I got the savage 212 so i can also hunt elk with it

That is a great point. I currently hunt one season in MN so I shoot my 12ga @5 shots a year. 2-3 before I leave WA to make sure nothing has changed. 2-3 when I unpack in MN. And 1 to make the harvest. :D

I wouldn't have considered my 12ga to be a suitable elk gun mostly because of the range.
I need to do a little more research on that.

Well the damn things are effective to about 300 ... And if i can get out and figure it out at 300 i would take the shot ... If your going out there every year or if you hunt pretty closeish range i would get the savage ... Im accualy gonna use it on a bear once the season opens

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews