JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Wonder if they used a TAP load or FMJ? Maybe some Wolf because of budget cuts... They could have done the military a favor and tested 6.8 SPC... Just saying they could have got some value out of it.

All kidding aside, I don't see anything wrong with the firing squad and philosophically would prefer it over being put to sleep like a dog...

They used lever action 30-30's from 25' away. 4 shots to the chest and one blank load.. so noone knows who shot the blank.. From that close, I don't think the guy made it.... :D

They asked a guy who was on the firing squad from 14 years ago (the last time firing squad was used) and he said he felt worse shooting squirrels, and there were just some people that needed to be kicked off the planet.

I always wonder about - if you, the man hired to shoot - aimed at the head. Also, you can feel the difference in firing the blank in most guns (I know its never safe to say All)

its got to be an odd feeling to kill someone at the request of the state, kind of like cold-blooded warfare against a guilty person.
I agree with what they did, but I'm sure no one enjoyed being on the firing line today.

...but I'm sure no one enjoyed being on the firing line today.

Define the word 'enjoy'. Not literally, but would some rather be at the beach sipping on Rum and Cokes and watching the girls go by, probably. Without having met the men who pulled the triggers you just don't know if they enjoyed it or not. My guess they would rather do it themselves than have someone else do it. Most likely a sense of a job well done. No remorse, no guilt. I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

SF-

I read that they use a round that simulates a bullet so it feels the same in as far as recoil. Probably a handload with powdered lead or something that dissipates like that when fired. I seem to remember that when Gilmore was shot, none of the bullets hit his heart. The shooters basically aimed all around the target to maim him and make him suffer before he bled to death. I can't remember where I read that so have no validation and I'm just throwing it out there as a possibility.

As far as being a state sanctioned killer, isn't that what a soldier does..? I don't see much difference especially for a Sniper whose target is not directly threatening his safety. Or, how about those pilots who trigger a hellfire missile at the enemy from Predator drones while they sit in a cubicle at Nellis AFB in Nevada...? Human beings have a remarkable ability to justify their actions to themselves as I'm sure that killer sitting in the chair did just before those bullets slammed into his chest.

Define the word 'enjoy'. Not literally, but would some rather be at the beach sipping on Rum and Cokes and watching the girls go by, probably. Without having met the men who pulled the triggers you just don't know if they enjoyed it or not. My guess they would rather do it themselves than have someone else do it. Most likely a sense of a job well done. No remorse, no guilt. I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

SF-

I realize enjoy is the wrong word... I was saying that the men at work were doing a job, they weren't there by choice.

It needs to be done, and the men hired to do it can know that they are doing the right thing.
I assume that they, as a group know that they have done justice.
I said enjoy because, like a judge, I hope that they know they are doing the will of the law, like a jury, I don't want them to lose sleep over doing the very difficult job that was put before them.
choice of words can be easily misused, as I have. I just too, hope they sleep at night knowing a murderer got what he deserved, and they, as people/fathers, know that someone has to do the hard work of justice.
I don't think of anyone on the firing line as killers, I just know its a hard position to be in, harder than the judge or jury, and I hope that they are okay after carrying out a hard part of their job.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top