JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
@bralko85 , what's the paracord on the hatchet do?
I might have to throw a wrap on my small ax, because I like the look. Just wondering if I'm missing a legit reason.
Thanks.
I would assume it protects the axe handle at that critical point from off target strikes against wood. A lot of axes have some kind of protection there for that reason.

20210114_164821.jpg

Probably one of the things that this ugly duckling has over a traditional ax then.

Built into the design

@bralko85 , what's the paracord on the hatchet do?
I might have to throw a wrap on my small ax, because I like the look. Just wondering if I'm missing a legit reason.
Thanks.
We wrapped a splitting maul with a lot of electrical tape for 5 inches below the head to pad it because I was a lousy shot at hitting wedges when splitting wood. :D

I'll play. ;)

DSCN0812_sm.jpg

L2R: TONIFE full tang. Gerber Strongarm. Morakniv Bushcraft.

While I love the Strongarm as an all around "do all" carry knife, as a camp "toss-around" and finer bushcraft type tasks (trap notching, feathering, food prep, etc.) it's pretty hard to beat the Mora. Its partial tang, but for any heavy lifting.. that's where the stongarm shines. I have a few "nicer" (aka expensive) fixed blades but these really get the job done and at price tags that don't sting if lost.

Chosing only 1... I have another strongarm in my BOB.

Arrrrg!
I almost bought that same mora at sportsman's on Sunday. Looked like a goodie, but I was just looking for something to alleviate boredom.
I got a crkt CEO instead. I gave the CEO away yesterday at work because I didn't like at least 4 different things about it after 1 day of vest pocket carry

Arrrrg!
I almost bought that same mora at sportsman's on Sunday. Looked like a goodie...
It's certainly no slouch. Twice the price of the companion and really only 10 bucks less than the strongarm was (at the time I bought them), but it has some features that were important to me. Mainly... the slightly beefier blade, the "deeper" sheath and improved knife retention.. and especially important to me... the spine will throw sparks and do scrapings without any modification. ;)

I actually got it for my BOB but found I really liked the lighter/thiner profile blade around the campfire for finer detail bushcaft and especially food prep. The strongarm is my main carry knife and I'll never give it up... but it's no onion or tomato slicer. :D

It's certainly no slouch. Twice the price of the companion and really only 10 bucks less than the strongarm was (at the time I bought them), but it has some features that were important to me. Mainly... the slightly beefier blade, the "deeper" sheath and improved knife retention.. and especially important to me... the spine will throw sparks and do scrapings without any modification. ;)

I actually got it for my BOB but found I really liked the lighter/thiner profile blade around the campfire for finer detail bushcaft and especially food prep. The strongarm is my main carry knife and I'll never give it up... but it's no onion or tomato slicer. :D
I like Moras for fine light work. I don't think anyone needs much more than that for skinning/dressing a rabbit/squirrel/etc. and something in the class of the StrongArm, Prodigy, LMFII, Ultimate would just be a bit clumsy and heavy for that kind of work. I would not want to go any heavier than my Fallkniven F1, and even that would seem a bit heavy.

OTOH, breaking the pelvic bone of a deer or elk or moose would not be something I would want to tackle with a Morakinv.

OTOH, breaking the pelvic bone of a deer or elk or moose would not be something I would want to tackle with a Morakinv.
Exactly! The Strongarm "can" do pretty much anything the Mora can do... just a bit "overkill" and too much knife that makes it clumsier and a bit of a PITA on the finer tasks, but it's capable of doing things I would never want to subject my Mora to. If I had to leave one home.. and for the type of things I use a knife for... it would be the Mora, but it's a luxury well worth the additional pack weight, IMHO. (Small game processing... that's what my neck knife is for! LOL)

That said... with my strongarm... I don't pack a hatchet. :D The "best option" depends solely on what an individuals specific needs and requirements are. There are a lot of "really" decent field knives out on the market at very fair price points these days.

Last Edited:
The smaller Toor Viper I carry everyday "EDC" and the larger Toor Anaconda I just purchased to use in a more utilitarian manner.

06FE808E-D4E0-480C-A783-0D087B40055E.jpeg

Whoops! I got lucky finding the receipt for a Randall I ordered 0ver 3 years ago. (I've moved up here since then.)
Updated my info with Randall and now I only have to wait another another 18-19 months for delivery.

A Confederate Bowie 11" blade
Here's a pic but mine will have an Ivorite handle and scalloped brass cap and spacer.

1622791259505.png

Whoops! I got lucky finding the receipt for a Randall I ordered 0ver 3 years ago. (I've moved up here since then.)
Updated my info with Randall and now I only have to wait another another 18-19 months for delivery.

A Confederate Bowie 11" blade
Here's a pic but mine will have an Ivorite handle and scalloped brass cap and spacer.

View attachment 898498
The Randall Hickok45 made famous..

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top