JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
What organization can pickup the fight as we watch the NRA self district? The NRA has done little for the GPNW states. In-fighting, law suits, outrageous spending, poor choice of spokesperson. What did it do to fight these rediculous intiatives? We were left high and dry by NRA here in WA.

Secondly, talk is big among members but falls flat when it comes time to vote. I realize Seattle and the surrounding counties control everything in WA, but until the rest of the State rallies against that by voting nothing will change.

Man, I might be alone in thinking this, but the very public troubles of the NRA are a dream come true for the t-shirt moms and Bloombergs of the world. The NRA needs to prune the tree back no question, but we need to stand behind them now more than ever. Even in their current state, nobody on our side has the muscle that they do. Just my .02.

Man, I might be alone in thinking this, but the very public troubles of the NRA are a dream come true for the t-shirt moms and Bloombergs of the world. The NRA needs to prune the tree back no question, but we need to stand behind them now more than ever. Even in their current state, nobody on our side has the muscle that they do. Just my .02.
Not disagreeing with you but they'd better move quickly. The problem has been identified, fix it or they'll sadly go the way of the Polaroid, Horse buggies & the rotary phone.

I realize Seattle and the surrounding counties control everything in WA, but until the rest of the State rallies against that by voting nothing will change.

When they destroyed the timber industry in the PNW they neutered the political power of rural counties. The entire platform and list of priorities shifted to Portland Seattle. IMO this was by design.

When they destroyed the timber industry in the PNW they neutered the political power of rural counties. The entire platform and list of priorities shifted to Portland Seattle. IMO this was by design.
Astute observation and I concur. The EPA/Greenies have killed industry and through so called green initiatives want all your cash too.

Oh, you can bet that there are many waiting with much anticipation for the NRA to implode, but that cannot be allowed to happen. It would be a MASSIVE victory for the opposition.

But the NRA is in a very exposed position right now, particularly here in the PNW...lackluster performance = loss of customers (us) and revenue ($$), which leads to more lackluster performance, which means losing more support and so on and so on...its a vicious cycle and they need to figure out how to fix it quick.

This is a complex situation, and it's the NATIONAL Rifle Association, not the PNW Rifle Association (tho we have a WA branch who is even more quite:rolleyes:), so they're fighting battles on many fronts...and lets not forget, they're a HUGE target...every gun control group jumps on the smear/vilify campaign against them...recently, even insurance commissioners have been coming after them (Carry Guard). That spreads resources thin fast.

Been saying for sometime, we need multiple, financially-supported full-time 2A folks on our side out here...between the NRA, GOA, SAF...we ought to have several high-visibility, highly motivated LEADERS the region that can make things happen. Chartering a few busses to Olympia? That should be NO problem.

So while supporting SAF, GOA, etc, probably ought to kick at least a couple bucks over to the NRA and help rebuild their image.

My $.02...

BOSS

The NRA was here to fight 1639 before the vote. The NRA is funding half of the federal lawsuit against 1639 now. The NRA has the ONLY full time lobbyist working in WA. SAF is a great organization and working harder than anyone else in the courts. FPC and GOA are non existent in WA or OR.

The gun grabbers are delighting in the commotion, and adding fuel to the fire. We need the NRA, a leaner and meaner NRA...they are powerful in their numbers and reach. This is the time to come together and fight as one, not turn on our own. We need all hands on deck.

Whilst I agree we, as gun owners, constitutionalists and patriots, we need to do everything within our power to ensure the NRA survives this turmoil, the NRA needs to fast track getting their house in order.

They need to show a bit more representation here in the PNW, we need a bit more care and tending. I'll continue to be a member and continue to support them, for all the reasons listed in previous posts. They're the 800 pound gorilla in the room and keep they anti's occupied and mostly at bay.

We can not afford to have that defense go away, we'd simply be at the mercy of the gun grabbers. Because one thing gun owners have proven is they are a fractured group willing to throw other gun owners under the bus... If that weren't true, then anti-gun laws would not get passed, especially here in the PNW...

Just my rant as I wait for my littlest daughter at the dentist...

The NRA was here to fight 1639 before the vote. The NRA is funding half of the federal lawsuit against 1639 now. The NRA has the ONLY full time lobbyist working in WA. SAF is a great organization and working harder than anyone else in the courts. FPC and GOA are non existent in WA or OR.

Are you referring to Ms. Hopkins? I applaud her efforts, but she needs back-up.

WA Rifle and Pistol Association, the WA/local NRA representation? Almost totally crickets/silent...

The gun grabbers are delighting in the commotion, and adding fuel to the fire. We need the NRA, a leaner and meaner NRA...they are powerful in their numbers and reach. This is the time to come together and fight as one, not turn on our own. We need all hands on deck.

Agreed. And not only do we need all hands on deck, but we need to bring more into the fold (become more inclusive) and continue to keep the traditions alive (like the Project Appleseed) to counter the rise of the liberals in the Puget Sound...otherwise its a numbers game we're going to continually be on the short side of. And gun control crowd knows this, which is why they're likely pushing so hard here, so as to expand elsewhere.

And not just us, but the tops of the big organizations need to combine their power too.

One things for sure, the gun control pushers are NOT going to go away and leave us alone.

Boss

Right now its up the the NRA leadership on doing the right thing for the organization or doing what is in their own best interests. I am going to bet on the latter.:mad:

We 'seasoned shooters' have seen all of this before. Anyone remember the proposed "National Recreation Association" in the Carter 70s? Yeah. Things we need to do, as I see it:
1. Support the principles, goals and teaching of the NRA - despite the flawed ledership.
2. Turn off/cancel the media in all of its forms. Yes, you'll survive. Why pay (and pay attention to) the enemy? The media, being immature and inceasingly constituted of the worst of each generation, collectively revels in causing indigestion, even if they eventually lose (which they will).
3. As crazy as it sounds, counter punch against the left with their thought-programming snd fake news by demanding regulation of the much abused 1st Amendment - thus putting them on the defensive.
4. Trot out those numbers and stats, backed up by the principles of freedom.
5. Tell the truth - it still appeals to the common voter.
6. Reveal the utter progressive diasters that gun-control crazy Seattle and Portland have become.
7. Mention the inability and lack of lawful responsibility of the police regrading the defense of any given individual - this is case law.
8, Show the politically incorrect studies which defend the targeting of violent and repeat offenders. One such example: How to dramatically reduce gun violence in American cities

^^ All very good, but as we know...easier said that done. Citing facts and reason? If the extremists on the other side cared about that at all, we wouldn't be here. 'Have a conversation' is NOT having a conversation...its nothing more than an opening for them to introduce new restrictions. The prohibitionists have their minds made up, and virtually nothing is going to derail their efforts.

We've got to get out of these echo chambers...chatting in here is good and all, but we're largely preaching to the choir.

Efforts have got to be made to improve the image of the NRA and law abiding gun owners, the latter of which are being shamed into silence.

Moderates need to be won over.

Conservatives who are NOT registered to vote need to be engaged, and persuaded to participate in the electoral/legislative process.

Again, far easier said than done...

BOSS

Well said. I actually remember a time when that was not so. Now those of us in the sticks pretty much have to deal with whatever BS they craft up in cities 24/7/365.

This is worth repeating.

My thought is who's spreading all the hate? Where'd it start?
How do we know this furor wasn't initiated by groups opposed to civilian gun ownership, in Hopes they'd get a knee jerk reaction by those evil firearm owners?

IMHO...until the MSM starts reporting TRUTH (meaning the actual facts) we're rowing against the tide. Add to that is wherein "I believe" most 2A & weapon owners don't or won't write letters/call to not only their elected officials but the news agencies & reporters that push/publish the outright lies about gun control stats.

I don't believe there's anyone here that doesn't want to read tomorrow's headlines... "Anti-gun groups admit more laws are a failure to prevent gun deaths!"

I'm not happy the NRA is in disarray at the moment but I'll continue to support them & the SAF & the GOA. I'll also keep writing & calling my legislators as well as those worthless dog snot reporters that keep reporting bullbubblegum stories that are outright lies and totally inaccurate! I encourage everyone to do the same. Make your voice heard for heavens sake!

Dan

The anti's would love to see the NRA implode. On a national level, no one causes ire for the anti's like the NRA. When presidential candidates talk about pushing gun control, they talk about fighting the NRA - not SAF, not OFF, not GOA, not the NSSF or any others. None of those groups have the political influence in Washington D.C. that the NRA has. The NRA continues to be the single most powerful gun rights group in the country, with more resources, more members and more power than anyone else.

That said, the NRA is not perfect, and, right now, really needs to make some top-down changes. I don't like their willingness to concede easily on certain things like bump stocks (I don't care about them personally, but they shouldn't have rolled over on this) or the fact that there's a lot of infighting. Honestly, it's long past the time for LaPierre to go. He's not the right guy to head the organization. We need a new, strong, very pro-2A leader, and one that will fight, apologetically for our rights.

The NRA has problems, as many groups do. I remain a life member. I still believe in them, but am hopeful the members will find a way to turn this around. And while I hope and wait, for that to happen, I think it's important that we stand united behind them. If we turn our backs on the NRA, rather than try to fix it and make it better, we hand a HUGE win to the anti's. We simply cannot give them the satisfaction. Like them or not, the NRA is the ONLY pro-gun organization the anti's truly fear and care about. It's important they continue to fear them.

We also need smaller, regional groups to help maintain fights on the local levels. Groups like SAF excel at this and deserve our strong support as well.

^^ Most conservative's 'I just to live my life in peace and be left alone' isn't optimal when dealing with the opposition. When one side can silence their opposition and control the narrative, they're ahead of the curve. Part is the control of the media as well all know...keeping our side/facts from reaching large audiences. How many letters to the editor from our side do you think newspapers round file? How many 'Pro Gun' stories do we hear...virtually none...because the liberal elites control pretty much all the media except Fox. How quickly did Stephen Williford's story get buried?

Secondly is the vilification of the NRA and shaming of gun owners. I'm not that old, but remember not so long ago it was fairly common to see Field & Stream, American Rifleman, etc. around and nobody thought anything of it. Everybody had a grandfather/uncle/brother somebody that was a member of the NRA.

Folks used to be rightly proud of being a skilled marksman. Not any more. It's becoming more like a 'dirty little secret' if you're gun owner/shooter when you're not with shooting buddies/at the range. Heaven forbit your neighbor sees you going/coming to a range or match...

And you're right...many, especially those who haven't retired yet (and may never be able to), don't want their name showing up in the paper/news story as being spun as a 'gun nut.' It could be detrimental to your professional well being...again due to the shaming and in combination what the corporate environment has become.

Jeez, some kids get in trouble at school if they post a picture shooting at the range...

And folks are concerned of where things are going...

There is also the very fundamental nature of what's occurring. They are trying to TAKE. We, by contrast, are not. And we're not saying 'You all MUST go BUY a gun!' Quite honestly, other than the hypocrisy, we don't care if they own one or not. But THEY very much CARE if we do and intend to make it their business. And they're think its their place to demand we give up what's ours when WE have done nothing wrong. 'Destroy it to save it' doesn't work in a constitutional republic.

But look how far left some are going...

Bottom line:

Take time to get out of the echo chamber (places like this) frequently...you don't even have to go that far...its amazing how many gun shops and ranges/fellow shooters are woefully under informed. It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to try and get to a range or gun shop at least once a month and try to share some knowledge. Heck, there's members on forums like this that never take the time to wander over to these sections (Legislative/Activism). Broken record time. Spread.The.Word. Remember?

Throw on an NRA/Shooting hat or shirt once in awhile...you might be surprised to find fellow members looking for good conversation.

Posted before - NRA tool for contacting your local media: NRA-ILA | Write The Media

Support the organization of your choice, particularly SAF...but remember, if the NRA fails, it would be handing the opposition a major victory...so don't completely abandon them. And you can write to them and express your positions...tell 'em to step it up out here: NRA-ILA | Contact NRA-ILA

Hopefully the NRA finds the next generation 'Charlton Heston' to put a 'positive' face on a historic organization with a lot of good folks. They need some image consulting, and they need to work to be more inclusive...we need 'free BBQ and range days' and such.

Be a good role model and raise the next generation right.

Hold.Fast...Do.Not.Quit.
Boss

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR